PDA

View Full Version : Danger of ride on toys indoors

clairer
24-11-2013, 08:21 PM
How does everyone feel about the risks of ride on toys indoors/in their setting?

I won't have them in my setting. I don't mind kids using them in a big church hall but think the risks outweigh the benefits in a small lounge with furniture edges etc.

I am slightly biased, when my daughter was three she fell off a ride on car when I was just preparing dinner. I had to call an ambulance and she had three stitches in bottom lip. Horrible experience!

tas
24-11-2013, 08:31 PM
My room is too small for ride on's so would be unsafe but they happily whizz up and down the garden path instead :)

FussyElmo
24-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't have them inside too many places to crash and hurt themselves.

Have no issues with them outside :thumbsup:

muffins
24-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a long straight hall, they'd be fying up there at great speed:panic:I'd worry just as much for my door frames being dented/marked as a childs head! Never even crossed my mind to allow it!

Glitter
24-11-2013, 08:46 PM
My downstairs rooms all link in to make a circle. Children love to ride toys round and round the circle. I have never had anyone hurt themselves doing it (yet!).
I think this might be because they can not get up much speed because of all the corners.

Tealady
24-11-2013, 09:17 PM
My downstairs rooms all link in to make a circle. Children love to ride toys round and round the circle. I have never had anyone hurt themselves doing it (yet!).
I think this might be because they can not get up much speed because of all the corners.

You are probably right if the route is all bends. Otherwise definitely an outdoor toy!

jadavi
25-11-2013, 04:39 AM
My long corridor always has 2-3 sit and rides and our ever popular Cosy coupe car
2.5 years doing it now and no accidents.
Would hate not to have them inside in this bad weather.

clareelizabeth1
25-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Depends on the children. DS is 12 months old and can do much damage at the mo. Once he's fast I might change my mind.

SwanLake
25-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Ive got one inside -inside it has the rocker sides on so its just a rocking car and outside it has the wheels on xx

bunyip
25-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I tend to keep them outside, plus the opportunity to crash them at toddler groups.

I risk assessed this, bearing in mind what the terrible Mrs B might do to anyone who scratches her furniture( :veryangry:), and decided it was too dangerous. :rolleyes:

tulip0803
25-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a couple of sit and rides in doors and have never had an accident - yet touch wood! However I have seen plenty outside at toddlers - not sure if it is the type of ride-on but they often fall backwards on them

Mouse
25-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I have to be honest, I have never even considered having ride on toys inside. To me they are outdoor toys and they will always stay there.

samb
25-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a couple of toddler ride ons inside. I only have them out and things like buggies when other floor toys are away to make space. It's carpeted and safe in my opinion. I don't have an outside area and it would be very difficult for me to take ride ons out anywhere so for me inside or nothing.

AgentTink
25-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I love my ride on toys indoors, and every single child i have ever had has always loved them, even the ones who wont use their own ones at home. I am lucky my home allows for the use of ride on toys and all of the children use them in so many games in fun ways. and
I have not had a safety issue. (I actually have 5 ride on toys they are used that much :rolleyes:) Obviously if it wasnt safe in my home then i wouldn't allow them. We all know our own homes and should be able to make our own decision as to whether to allow them to be used indoors or not. :thumbsup:

JCrakers
25-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Ive only had them once when a older baby loved to sit but not move :D I don't have enough space for them to be moving around on a ride-on and as we go to toddler groups which provide these, I don't see the need to get them out here.

lisbet
25-11-2013, 01:04 PM
My mindees can't move them very fast with their little legs, bless 'em :) But they do enjoy riding them along the wide hall and around the kitchen table (plenty of space around it.) I will keep risk assessing it as they grow/ new children start.

clairer
25-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Must be great having a big hall. Mine is tiny.

Wouldn't it be great to have a massive basement for the purpose!

Tulip
25-11-2013, 09:17 PM
My long corridor always has 2-3 sit and rides and our ever popular Cosy coupe car
2.5 years doing it now and no accidents.
Would hate not to have them inside in this bad weather.

The cozy coupe car, how I wished I had invented it, I think nearly every child in the land must have had one :)

SYLVIA
25-11-2013, 09:31 PM
None inside here as there's not enough room. Plus I have a big patio area where they can zoom about so don't feel a need to have them inside. I have 3 coupe cars, 2 new and one older one. They all want the older one for some reason

birch24
28-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I have one ride on toy in doors, the little ones love riding on it. They can't get up enough speed on the carpet to do them or anyone else any damage so it's never been a problem here x