PDA

View Full Version : DfE doubles funding for EY apprenticeship....is this fair?

Simona
22-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I fail to understand this policy by the DfE...but then a lot of what they do baffles me
Why not invest in the current workforce rather than recruit new ones?
Many providers have to fork out for a level 3 or a Degree now so this is incomprehensible

In More Great Childcare, Elizabeth Truss set out plans to increase the number of skilled staff working in the early years, and to improve qualifications...so why not start with those who already have the experience and want to further their qualifications?

Your thoughts?
Funding doubled for early years apprenticeship scheme | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1140683/funding-doubled-apprenticeship-scheme?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The Juggler
22-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I fail to understand this policy by the DfE...but then a lot of what they do baffles me
Why not invest in the current workforce rather than recruit new ones?
Many providers have to fork out for a level 3 or a Degree now so this is incomprehensible

In More Great Childcare, Elizabeth Truss set out plans to increase the number of skilled staff working in the early years, and to improve qualifications...so why not start with those who already have the experience and want to further their qualifications?

Your thoughts?
Funding doubled for early years apprenticeship scheme | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1140683/funding-doubled-apprenticeship-scheme?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

exactly Simona well said! what she REALLY wants is lots of new trainees coming through on lower pay bands so that nurseries are not increasing their overheads and can offer parents cheaper fees - she doesn't want better qualified staff - she wants the 2 year olds to go to school to get access to the higher qualified practitioners doesn't she ;)

Simona
23-11-2013, 11:12 AM
exactly Simona well said! what she REALLY wants is lots of new trainees coming through on lower pay bands so that nurseries are not increasing their overheads and can offer parents cheaper fees - she doesn't want better qualified staff - she wants the 2 year olds to go to school to get access to the higher qualified practitioners doesn't she ;)

I am sure I was not the only CM to benefit from the Graduate Leader Fund set up by the previou Govt...with that I accessed the University Foundation Degree.
In order for me and, many like me, to proceed to the BA and then EYPS it means we have to fund ourselves now and Uni fees are around £8,000...not sure for Open University

If Truss' policy is More 'Affordable' Childcare ...can anyone explain how that will be when we, the current and practising practitioners, get to fund ourselves, while 'newcomers' with any Degree can get £,3000 to study for the Early Year Educator?

I feel as if we are accepting any rubbish thrown at us by this govt without even raising a squeak...maybe we have come to be fed up with what is going on we are oblivious and tend to let things pass by.....this latest for me is really unacceptable

The Juggler
23-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I am sure I was not the only CM to benefit from the Graduate Leader Fund set up by the previou Govt...with that I accessed the University Foundation Degree.
In order for me and, many like me, to proceed to the BA and then EYPS it means we have to fund ourselves now and Uni fees are around £8,000...not sure for Open University

If Truss' policy is More 'Affordable' Childcare ...can anyone explain how that will be when we, the current and practising practitioners, get to fund ourselves, while 'newcomers' with any Degree can get £,3000 to study for the Early Year Educator?

I feel as if we are accepting any rubbish thrown at us by this govt without even raising a squeak...maybe we have come to be fed up with what is going on we are oblivious and tend to let things pass by.....this latest for me is really unacceptable

exactly for some reason they think people with no childcare experience and a degree are more valuable than experienced childcare workers who wish to get a degree and carry on working with children - makes no sense. I get that different views/new and fresh opinions can bring fresh ideas and perspectives but at the end of the day it's the in depth knowledge of child development that counts when working with children and these courses just do not cover that in enough detail.

When the new version of EYPS came out I could not apply for the pilot - even with a first class honours in Early Childhood Studies I was not able to apply - they would only accept those with degrees in subjects other than early years !!!!!!!!!????????