PDA

View Full Version : ever had a child that you don't like?

yummyripples
22-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I have been with a friend this morning (really a friend not me honest! ), who is at her wits end as she has a ten month old boy who she has had for nearly four months that she can't take to.
He is hard work and she is trying with him - very warm and cuddly with him and has him on her knee or is on the floor with him most of the time because she feels that it's separation anxiety.
She feels that the mum is making her feel bad about everything and blaming her if he cries so she is more or less jumping at his every whim so he has nothing to cry about.
She wants to know if it will get better and will she grow to love him like she does the others. She is at the stage where she is dreading him coming. Has anyone had this experience?

shortstuff
22-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I have been with a friend this morning (really a friend not me honest! ), who is at her wits end as she has a ten month old boy who she has had for nearly four months that she can't take to.
He is hard work and she is trying with him - very warm and cuddly with him and has him on her knee or is on the floor with him most of the time because she feels that it's separation anxiety.
She feels that the mum is making her feel bad about everything and blaming her if he cries so she is more or less jumping at his every whim so he has nothing to cry about.
She wants to know if it will get better and will she grow to love him like she does the others. She is at the stage where she is dreading him coming. Has anyone had this experience?

I have and the child only stayed with me for 6 weeks as the relationship with the parents broke down completely as they didnt trust me at all.

If anything the mums reaction is making the little one suffer even more as im sure the CM cant be so attentive as there are more than likely other children in the setting.

Has the CM tried a really open conversation with the mum? I would think this needs to be the first step?

MrsP2C
22-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I did (in fact posted about it back in march/April time if you search my threads) & was ready to give notice as mindee was such hard work. The fact parents were lovely & I didn't have many other enquiries made me persevere & she did gradually settle & is now an absolute dream. She started in January so I had a fairly arduous 4/5 months but I'm glad if stuck at it. Tricky parents & she would have gone long ago!

Koala
22-11-2013, 02:28 PM
I haven't really had children I didn't like BUT I have definitely had parents that I have not been enamored with and sometimes their attitude and approach can mar the experience with lo. But I just think what their money can buy me and it makes me smile inside. If it really is the lo who is the problem, make strategic plans to cope, if he's too much put him in a safe place, cot, highchair, have a rest, re charge and carry on, it will pass eventually.

It's a tricky one but life really is too short to be miserable. :thumbsup:

And yes I have dreaded children coming but when I analysed the situation, it wasn't really the child that was the problem, no matter how much hard work they were, It was the parents that I had issues with and crikey I only saw them 10 mins am and 10 mins pm but that is enough to make you feel anxious, stressed and plain old crap. Maybe if mum is piling on the pressure or being a bit passive aggressive towards your friend this could be something similar. Just another way to look at it.

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-11-2013, 02:32 PM
not actually disliked but didn't bond with. 2 actually. won't got into detail but it was hard. they were lovely children and parents lovely too but never ever got 'that' feeling with them. One down to personality and one due to very challenging behaviours.

maisiemog
22-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes! And I don't like their parents either, just can't afford to get rid of them!! I have one girl that I like and have built a great relationship with that DH hates! My sister also says this girl makes her want to have a hysterectomy! She's a handful but she's a sweetie as well!

Koala
22-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes! And I don't like their parents either, just can't afford to get rid of them!! I have one girl that I like and have built a great relationship with that DH hates! My sister also says this girl makes her want to have a hysterectomy! She's a handful but she's a sweetie as well!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: say it like it is!!

critch
22-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I have too and now I really like her and we don't tell mummy and daddy everything as what they don't know won't hurt so long as she is cared for then I see no problem e.g will only settle in buggy for sleeps although cot was the preference and they provide one, getting into messy play and eats everything to do with messy play!!!
It will change I dreaded every hour and every minute for the first few months!

PixiePetal
22-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I have had some who although I liked, just didn't have the same bond as other children had. Over time they became some of my favourites (I know not really meant to say that!) Been sad to see them leave when they started school

Kiddleywinks
22-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Do my own count? :laughing::laughing:

clairer
22-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes can definitely think of one child who doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities! It's so hard to treat all children the same when some are such sweeties and other are..ARGH!

emma04
22-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Do my own count? :laughing::laughing:

I was thinking the same!!

I've had a few that I've not felt the feeling with, but a lot of it was down to their oddball parents!! I had no idea how strange people could be, until I began this job! I feel sorry for some children bless them! When parents state the following, I often wonder how these children will ever survive in the REAL world!!

Lo cannot eat fish, he's allergic
(child has never even eaten fish!)

Child has a milk allergy
(Only ever been given soya......teeth rotting stuff!)

Lo must be smothered in sudocrem or they will suffer excruciating nappy rash!
(Child still gets nappy rash....explain'?!!)

Lo won't eat from a spoon
(They do when the see everyone else doing it!)

Lo hates grapes
(They eat them like sweets at my house)

Lo will tell you they need a wee
(Is that before or after they've piddled all over my carpet?)

Lo only poo's after lunch
(So the dump I receive at 10am each day is a mirage?)

No need to go on......in sure you've got the gist!

Koala
22-11-2013, 10:03 PM

I've had a few that I've not felt the feeling with, but a lot of it was down to their oddball parents!! I had no idea how strange people could be, until I began this job! I feel sorry for some children bless them! When parents state the following, I often wonder how these children will ever survive in the REAL world!!

Child has a milk allergy

Lo hates grapes

OMG - so true!!!

AdeleMarie88
22-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes I have, it was due to horrid behaviour, but very sly, used to smack the baby in the face when he was sleeping?! We even were asked to leave a stay and play once because he was so mean, needless to say I don't look after him anymore!

It's strange how some children you just can't bond with, no matter how hard you try. It's natural though I suppose, I don't like a lot of adults hahahaha

twiggy
23-11-2013, 07:43 AM
I have a child at the moment neither I or my assistant can bond with, he constantly hits the other children and will scratch their faces, he is very strong willed and has a really high pitch temper scream which we are subjected to for most of the day. It's the first time I have ever struggled to bond with a child.

Kiddleywinks
23-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Child has a milk allergy

Lo hates grapes

Fish - check
Spoon - check
Grapes - check..... ooo, and strawberries - check
Toileting - check
Pooing - check

:clapping:

I got 5 out of 8, do I get a prize? :laughing::laughing:

critch
23-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I have a child at the moment neither I or my assistant can bond with, he constantly hits the other children and will scratch their faces, he is very strong willed and has a really high pitch temper scream which we are subjected to for most of the day. It's the first time I have ever struggled to bond with a child.

Mine was the same but now with the consistent no's and be gentles we are getting there!