PDA

View Full Version : Help Please anyone! xx

taiwallis
17-07-2008, 06:30 PM
My mindee who comes only a friday had a little brother 2 weeks ago. The little brother was admitted to the high dependency unit on tuesday with suspected meningitis. They have tried 4 lumber punctures unsuccessfully, a brain scan, a full body CT scan, and thinking of trying a 5th lumber puncture tomorrow. Ofsted have been fantastic as i asked for an emergency variation so that i could care for my mindee full time while his parents are in hospital. My mindee has been brilliant here, no cause for concern, happy, laughing and so that aspect is fine. However, having spoken to mum tonight she says he has completely lost it at bathtime called for the baby. She is struggling as what to do. She has told him he is in hospital and being looked after by doctors.
I have suggested doing hospital role play, colouring/sticking/painting pictures of doctors and looking for books about hospitals. Also that we make the baby a card.
Can anyone give me any other advice as to how to handle this situation. My mindee will be with me all next week, and possibly over the weekend. The best case scenario is the baby is out in 10 days, (looking unlikely) and they have said it will possibly be longer than 3 wks. Until they get the fluid they need they cant diagnose, but are treating it as a brain virus (there was swelling noted on the brain scan). i want to do anything possibly to help my mindee and parents through this awful time so if anyone at all can offer any advice/play ideas/ who mum should talk to i would be grateful.
xxxxx

Pudding Girl
17-07-2008, 06:32 PM
omg that poor family and those poor children :( How are you bearing up yourself, must be stressful for you too? Don't forget to take it easy yourself too eh?

As for helping the lo, I really don't know other than talking and letting him act it out via role play with puppets, toys, outfits etc, and reading books together about hospitals and illness.

littletreasures
17-07-2008, 07:35 PM
How awful, the baby being so tiny I should think a lumbar puncture is virtually impossible.

The poor little boy must think everybody has deserted him as well, thank goodness he has you to keep up some consistency.

I think you are doing everything you can to help, my prayers and thoughts are with this family in hoping the baby makes a full, quick recovery.

littletreasures

Jinx
17-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh the poor little baby and his family.

My son was 8 weeks early and I remember seeing the doctors doing a lumber puncture on him. It was the worse thing I'd ever seen and I really feel for this little boy and his parents having 5 of them done. :panic:

Sounds to me like you are doing a fantastic job helping this family out like this.

Has your mindee been to see his brother in hospital or isn't he allowed?

Jinx x

katickles
17-07-2008, 07:49 PM
You sound to me like you are doing everything you can & that to this little boy you are his tower of strength at the moment.

I am really hoping his poor liitle brother is on the road to recovery very soon.

x

ruby
18-07-2008, 05:02 PM
oh this poor family

i have been there with my husband and that was bad enough not sure how i would have coped if had been one of the children

i hope the baby turns the corner and is soon on the road to recovery.

can't think of anything to add on the play/ideas front but just wanted to say you are doing a grand job by being there for them

have you tried any of the meningitis sites i am sure there must be some maybe they can help you/mum

cathy

angeldelight
18-07-2008, 05:14 PM
oh what a shame for the baby and everyone involved

hope the little one is going to be ok

Not sure how old the little boy is but your ideas about role play sound great

There is also some great information here

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=285&id=2221

http://www.childrenfirst.nhs.uk/juniors/index.html

Keep us posted

Angel xx

venus89
18-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Just big hugs xxxx

Polly2
18-07-2008, 08:49 PM
My son hd suspected meningitis at 7 mths and they never did get the lumbar puncture. Its really awful watching them try so I feel for this family so much.

They just treated my ds as if it were meningitis anyway because he had the rash appearing. He is perfectly fine now.

I think your ideas are great and you are doing all you can.

I hope he is better soon

Pudding Girl
19-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Any more news on the little one?

emler
19-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I've only just seen this thread. What a nightmare situation for the family. Just wanted to say that your ideas of role play & books sound really good. The family are lucky to have you as their childminder as it sounds like you are doing everything you can for them.
My dd had to have a lumber puncture at 8 months old and the doctors advised me not to watch as it is so distressing. They suspected meningitis but thankfully it wasn't. Hope you and the family are coping ok. Sending hugs