PDA

View Full Version : What's a reasonable amount of holiday?

eddie
22-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi I am currently only working term time but have had an enquiry for a full time place which would be all year round. I don't get paid for any school hols at the moment.

My question is I would still like some school holiday time off, unpaid, but what would be a reasonable amount to take four weeks, more/less? I don't want to put this enquiry off but I need time off.

So what time off do people take?

Mouse
22-11-2013, 08:52 AM
I take 4 or 5 weeks off over a year. I have a week at Easter, a week in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas and sometimes a week either at Feb or Oct half term. For next year I am thinking of adding in an extra week in the summer, so may drop the half term week off.

I tell parents from the very beginning that they will need to make other arrangements while I'm off. I wil help them find alternative cover, or they take time off work themselves or the children go to family etc. I give plenty of notice of my holidays so they have time to sort something else out.

My holiday time is unpaid.

kellib
22-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I take around 3 weeks of term time holidays as well as working very little in school holidays, it's not put any of my parents off yet.

dawn100
22-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I tell parents I take 2 weeks off in the summer one week at Christmas and a week at Easter with additional days off throughout the year no more than 6 weeks probably nearer to 5 weeks in total but I do vary what the odd days I have off so they don't always affect the same parent, I don't charge for my holidays

Koala
22-11-2013, 10:23 AM
I state that I take 4 weeks 'paid' holiday per year plus bank holidays. I have a minimum of four weeks and this year I am taking 5 weeks and I will have no qualms about taking more if I wanted to or could afford it. It's all about negotiating with parents. A bit of give and take helps us all. :thumbsup:

cathtee
22-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I take 4 weeks. 2 weeks are taken term time in may and 2 in summer hols in Aug. these are unpaid I have in the past taken 5 weeks and all my parents are ok with this I give them the dates in January each year, although this year I have already given them for next year. I also have all bank holidays off too.

maisiemog
22-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I have always taken the whole of the Christmas holidays off, as well as a week at Easter and a week in summer. We might also be taking a week in October next year as well! It's never put any of my parents off!

JCrakers
22-11-2013, 12:34 PM
5 weeks :D

2 at xmas unless needed for a couple of days
1 at Easter
2 in the summer

Bluebell
22-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi I am currently only working term time but have had an enquiry for a full time place which would be all year round. I don't get paid for any school hols at the moment.

My question is I would still like some school holiday time off, unpaid, but what would be a reasonable amount to take four weeks, more/less? I don't want to put this enquiry off but I need time off.

So what time off do people take?

I think whatever you want to take off is absolutely fine so long as you are clear at the start of the contract! If they want you to work holidays not only are you losing your time off but potentially you may only have that one child so will be working and getting paid a pittance (ie my rate is £3.50 an hour so I would be working holidays and only getting that amount)

You could have the contract as term-time only but then agree to be available for 'holiday club' by mutual agreement. that way you book and arrange it at the time. - say you would be willing to do a week at Easter and 2 weeks at summer (or whatever) but not christmas and not half terms - so long as you are clear with them and they agree with it then its up to you it could be whatever you agree!

I take 4 weeks and bank holidays. think 5 weeks and bank holidays would be a reasonable working agreement for employed people so as self-employed that would be reasonable too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

MrsP2C
22-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I have between Christmas & NY off as paid and started with 4 further weeks but increasing to 5 from January of which 1 week can be term time.

I felt my kids could do with a week at home just with me in the autumn half term and wanted the flexibility to have a couple of days during school time so I could attend sports day, school assemblies etc without little ones in tow. I also take 3 weeks in the summer & a week at Easter. As long as you are up front about it & give plenty of notice I've not found it a problem but would say go for a minimum 5 weeks ideally 6.

Simona
22-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Interesting how we all have different needs...does anyone take 'days' rather than 'weeks' off?

If you do not work 5 days how do you calculate what a week is?
Do you ever take the 'odd' day off for conferences or personal matters?

I calculate my leave in days...usually when I ask parents what their holidays are they always say '30 days' or 35 days'
The reason for doing so is that I reserve the right to take the odd day off but not the entire week

What are your thoughts on this?

rickysmiths
22-11-2013, 07:15 PM
I take 35 days plus BH. I inform my parents by the end of Jan of my main holidays but I keep 3-4 'Floating' Days to cover the unexpected like funerals etc. This year I had a 'Floating Day left so I have taken a day off today and my daughter and I have had a lovely day going to the Norwegian and Finnish Church Christmas Fairs down in Rotherhithe.

If there is a Conference or the like that is useful and informative and counts as Professional Development I use one of the 4 paid Training Days I have written into my Contracts each year. I used one to attend the Big Ofsted Conversation.

clairer
22-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I take four weeks off per year unpaid. Two or three weeks in the Summer and a week for spare/emergencies.