PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little advice...

Toni
17-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post and im not sure if its in the right place...if not sorry! also im sorry that its uch a long one - just wanted to make sure i explained properly!

Anyway i am currently doing a college course - the cache level 3 childcare and education as i was planning on working in a nursery once i had completed it however, i have now worked in 2 different nurseries and neither in my opinion were very impressive - not because they were bad nurseries they certainly did their best, they just seemed very commercial and very formal and school like for children of 1 and 2. This has got me seriously thinking about my career and i now think that i really wouldnt be happy working in a nursery and also know that if it was my own children i would not want to put them in a nursery from such a young age and if i had to go back to work once having a baby i would much rather they were raised in a home environment. So really - to cut a long story short, i do still want to look after children but not in a nursery so naturally childminding was my next career to look into, i have done a bit of research and i still really like the idea but the only obstacle i see now is my age...i will only be 19 when i finish my course - i am thinking of taking on my evening job full time for 6 months - a year to get some money put away and also hopefully get a better house but even then i will only be 20 so i was just wondering if anyone thinks this will be a big obstacle? if parents would trust their children with someone so young or.....well id just like some advice really as the only childminders i really know are in their late 20s/30s with a child or children of their own.

Thank you in advance! :)

Pudding Girl
17-07-2008, 06:19 PM
as a Mum, as long as the person was Registered, insured, crb'd and had a nice friendly disposition, and my child appeared comfortable with them, they could be 18 or 88, man, woman, alien, with blue hair, green spots, and a tail, I wouldn't care!

Can't promise everyone would feel the same, but there's so many things people look for when placing their child, that if they don't use you, it may not be your age, it may be that you have a cat, or you don't drive, or they don't like your home etc - of course you'll automatically assume it's your age though ;)

Best of luck :)

Hannahlg
17-07-2008, 06:22 PM
im 21 and i work with my mum as as assisstant and some of the aprents would happlily have me look after thier children on my own

Toni
17-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow that was quick :) thank you for replying.......i dont drive either would that be a problem too do you think? also what have u found about pets? are they generally a good thing - something for the children to learn from or a bad thing do parents see them as a danger? sorry if i read around ill probably find that out lol..........

angeldelight
17-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum not sure if you have said hello in the hello section if not then dont forget so everyone can welcome you

My daugher was only 19 when she became registed and she has no children so I am sure you will be fine

I have been minding for years and I dont drive its never been an issue at all we still get out and about

Pets I have a dog , two rabbits and a new tortoise they are a great learning experience for the children

The best thing would be for you to take some time to look around the forum - there are heaps of questions and anwers for new minders and also lots of questions about pets

Enjoy the forum and speak soon

Angel xx

tulip0803
17-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Hello:)

Different minders suite different parents and children. Most do not worry about age or pets etc, but you will always find 1 or 2 that can moan about anything - you just have to think to yourself that you had a lucky escape.

When I minded before I had 1 dog, 2 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs and 2 rats. Some parents loved the animals I had some children come to me cos their parents did not want them to be afraid of dogs, but I had others that did not want to know as soon as they found out about the dog.

You will have experience and a level 3 qualification before you start so don't worry about not having your own children. There are many minders that do not have children and it is not a problem. You have your reasons for wanting to be a childminder and if you are ever asked you can give an honest and very valid reason which is to your credit.

Good luck hope to speak to you again soon:)

littlesprogs
17-07-2008, 07:22 PM
hiya and welcome to the forum,

I am only 21 but registered when i was 20. I am expecting my first baby any day now but when i registered i had no children and wasnt pregnant and it wasnt a problem.

I also dont drive and this also has not been a problem so far but i live in a small village so will soon be doing my test as it would make my life alot easier as transport in the village isnt very good.

I have 2 cats and recently got 2 rabbits too. This hasnt been a problem either my last mindee loved the cats and was always asking where they were. when i gotthe rabbits he loved them too and is now getting some of his own for his birthday.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do x