PDA

View Full Version : to scarf or not to scarf

yummyripples
20-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Is it a risk of strangulation if a child wears a scarf? A conversation I was having with another cm today.
If you don't let them wear scarves how do you keep them warm?

Mouse
20-11-2013, 08:17 PM
If we're walking or the child is in a buggy then I will put their scarf on them. If they're playing in the garden I also put them on. If we're at the park & they're on the bigger play equipment I tend not to.

If the children are wearing them I cross them over at the front, rather than knot them, and tuck them down inside their coat, sometimes even down inside their jumper.

loocyloo
20-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I've got a selection of chubes that I pop on the children if I think they need a scarf. I find most of the children just have tops with round necks and their coats rarely fit snug round the neck.

I get the chubes ( fleece tubey things! )from muddy puddles, usually in the sales!

Essbops
20-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I just cross them over at the front to keep them warm but I never tie them

Mrs Scrubbit
20-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I just cross them over at the front to keep them warm but I never tie them

Same here xxx

clairer
20-11-2013, 09:39 PM
You know what, I have never had a child come in a scarf always just hat and mittens. How odd. But thanks, I will always just cross the scarf flat, I think I do that with my own kids anyhow just from instinct.

clareelizabeth1
20-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Have never known a child to own a scarf

And I worked at a nursery for years

Mouse
20-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Have never known a child to own a scarf

And I worked at a nursery for years

It's funny isn't it? I don't think my own children ever had scarves , but nearly all my minded children do.

beachgirl29
20-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I saw something called a snoob i think its called is a hat crossed with a scarf so no need for a scarf. fab idea i thought. x

I don't like scarfs or umbrellas they usually make problems...either get lost or broken or slow the kids down as messing around with them.

i think a good coat,hat and gloves are enough. Maybe that's just me.

Nicola Carlyle
20-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Both my girls have always had scarves but I never knot them. I always put them on from the back of their neck and cross it over I front if their chest and wrap it round their body to tuck it under the back if it's long enough. It just keeps their necks much warmer and my girls love feeling snug.

bunyip
21-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Is it a risk of strangulation if a child wears a scarf? A conversation I was having with another cm today.
If you don't let them wear scarves how do you keep them warm?

Yes, but it's certainly a manageable risk.

Strangulation risks are also presented by jewellery and any sort of clothing that goes over the head. Children have been strangled by coat hoods catching on a branch. We can't ban everything that poses any sort of risk, cos most things involve some form of risk. We have to risk assess, manage risk, and teach children to manage risk for themselves too. :thumbsup: