PDA

View Full Version : Care for very other Friday?! Help?

clairer
20-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I wonder if you could all advise? I have had a query for after school care for two nine years olds(twins) for after school every day except Monday. But dad picks them up on a Friday every other week. Do I put in the contract I have them only every other Friday and leave it, at that or do I charge a half retainer for the Fridays they are not with me. Or do I say if you want Fridays you need to book them so it will be full fee every Friday whether they are here or not?!! Decisions decisions!

Also it would mean on a Tuesday I would have 5 eight yrs and overs and 4 under eights. Possibly a bit dangerously full? Or do other minders care for this sort of number without another thought? What are the space requirements for the older ones?!! Any ideas? My downstairs is quite large with a big kitchen/diner, lounge, toilet and conservatory.

Don't particularly want to turn it down due to being empty most of the week, EXCEPT a Tuesday!:panic:

moggy
20-11-2013, 12:51 PM
You would never be able to fill that alternate Friday slot so I would charge a 50% retainer for that and then full fees if it is actually used (if Dad can't pick up etc).

If you do go for full fees for the Fri if they use it or not, then make it clear how much notice you want if they do decide to use it- to avoid any last minute 'Dad can't pick up , can you just...' calls on Fri morning! Full fees would keep it easier actually, in case the arrangement with Dad changes/stops, saves you having to re-do contracts.

Whether you feel 'dangerously full' all comes down to your RAs, how you organise the time and the characters of the particular children.

clairer
22-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I replied asking for a 50% retainer for every other Friday and have had no reply. Another job lost out on. SO many parents want ad hoc :(

suziealderton
22-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Maybe work out what you would be losing out on, and add it onto your hourly fee and call it your ad hoc rate? Dont think i have explained it very well though x

shortstuff
22-11-2013, 11:30 PM
I replied asking for a 50% retainer for every other Friday and have had no reply. Another job lost out on. SO many parents want ad hoc :(

Dont lose hope they may just need to talk it through before getting back to you x

bunyip
23-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I wonder if you could all advise? I have had a query for after school care for two nine years olds(twins) for after school every day except Monday. But dad picks them up on a Friday every other week. Do I put in the contract I have them only every other Friday and leave it, at that or do I charge a half retainer for the Fridays they are not with me. Or do I say if you want Fridays you need to book them so it will be full fee every Friday whether they are here or not?!! Decisions decisions!

Also it would mean on a Tuesday I would have 5 eight yrs and overs and 4 under eights. Possibly a bit dangerously full? Or do other minders care for this sort of number without another thought? What are the space requirements for the older ones?!! Any ideas? My downstairs is quite large with a big kitchen/diner, lounge, toilet and conservatory.

Don't particularly want to turn it down due to being empty most of the week, EXCEPT a Tuesday!:panic:

Yes, sad to say quite a few CMs do care for lots of children without another thought. But that shouldn't make you do something you're unsure about. Good for you, for having seen this as a potential pitfall; whether or not you actually want or feel able to do it, at least it shows you're thinking straight. In that respect, I'd see nothing wrong with being 100% staright with the parents and saying, "I've never managed these numbers before, perhaps we could do it for a couple of weeks trial and see if we want to continue" (just like a standard settling-in arrangement, with immediate notice option on both sides.)

Personally I wouldn't charge a retainer for the alternative Fridays, but that's just me - and I wouldn't necessarily criticise other CMs who would charge ("Thank goD for that" say all the members who know I criticise CMs for most other things.:rolleyes:) I'm just aware that few things P-off parents more than being charged for not attending, and they're sometimes more content to accept a higher rate and pay for the actual hours used instead.

When I started CMing I expected a nice pattern of Monday-Friday all-dayers, plus a few schoolies each day, but I've never had a single 5-day-a-week child in my 2 years. So many working families don't follow the traditional working pattern any longer, and there's a case for saying we have to follow what parents need or we'll simply run out of clients.

Ofsted or pacey should be able to advise on space requirements if you give either of them a call. The chief concern Ofsted might have is if the older children impacted on the ability to care for the youngest ones.