PDA

View Full Version : CHICKENPOX ADVICE PLEASE

Jollytots1
20-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Morning all!
A little one (L) I had in Wed-Fri last week started getting spots on Friday evening and chicken pox was confirmed on Sunday. I notified all of my parents but there was only one child (B) who was around the chicken pox child Wed-Fri too. I have (B) in today until the weekend and is potentially incubating the chicken pox. We'll only really know by the end of the week/weekend if it turns int anything.
Basically my question is would you take (B) out to playgrounds / playgroups / soft play knowing she MAY be incubating it? May sound like a silly question but wanted to see if I was being overly cautious.

Many thanks!

hectors house
20-11-2013, 01:12 PM
If child seems well in themselves I would just carry on attending groups - chicken pox can take from 10 to 21 days to come out and some children seem to have a greater immunity than others, I had one little boy who was exposed to it many times but he and his sister (aged 6 & 4) only eventually got it during this summer. I would try to spend as much time as I could out in the fresh air as the greater exposure the children have to it, the worse they will have it.

tulip0803
20-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I agree with hector although DD2 has attended nursery, childminder, groups and school since the age of 14 months and chicken pox has done the rounds many times she is now 10 and still hasn't had it. DS was 10 when he had it (many,many years ago) and DD1 was the very last child in playschool to get it, she had been waiting an operation at GOSH and we had cancelled it about 5 times because she had been in contact with chicken pox in the end she had the op and came out in spots 10 days later :rolleyes:!

If we had stayed in just in case we would not have gone out for years!

BlondeMoment
20-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree, I think you need to just carry on as normal. Most people want their children to have chicken pox anyway while they are young to build up immunity and have it over with. Fact is you just can't know. Chicken pox isn't a dangerous disease in most caes. It's just one of those pains in the bum that crops up every now and then. Same with sickness bugs etc.
All we can do is carry on if the kiddies seem fine in themselves x

jolliesdean
20-11-2013, 02:25 PM
My little one had them last year, informed nursery as he was there then, they replied yeah we were expecting spots as a other child 2 weeks prior had them, we had just returned from a holiday aboard so could have been so much different if he had them few days earlier and where refused on the plane. You at least informed other parents. My other 3 children 12, 13 ,17 have never had them and doc states that some people do not pick the virus up via air borne but only on close contact ie bathing ect. I did not stop our normal routine and they still have not had them fingers crossed they don't have them as adults as it's suppose to be worse.

SwanLake
20-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Yep carry on as normal until LO shows signs then follow the sickness policy for it. If we stopped doing things due to incubation and children being exposed we'd never go anywhere or do anything xx

Jollytots1
20-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Thank you for the advice. I thought those would be the replies but when you work on your own it's definitely nice to get some support and be able to 'talk it out out loud' if you know what I mean?! Ha. Needless to say we went to the library which was empty anyway and long walk on the heath.
Thank you for the help!

hectors house
20-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Better to have chicken pox as a child, my brother and I shared our virus with my dad and he was very ill - in and out of consciousness for a 3-4 days - they now think his fibromialgia was probably caused by it.