PDA

View Full Version : parents holidays

toddlers896
20-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Parent has booked a weeks holiday so I would normally charge them. I have now decided that as she is off that week I am closing early.
I feel I should charge as she booked off first but I feel really guilty charging when I am now closed.(don't charge for my holiday)
What would you do.
Thanks

Koala
20-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I think you are totally right - charge for her holidays if that is your agreement - what you do in the meantime ( close early, open late, fly to the moon! :D ) is entirely up to you. Enjoy the rest.

kellyskidz!
20-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I think you are totally right - charge for her holidays if that is your agreement - what you do in the meantime ( close early, open late, fly to the moon! :D ) is entirely up to you. Enjoy the rest.

Agreed, mine pay for hols too and I ended up with both full timers off on their holidays in the same week, didn't know what to do with myself and I felt guilty for sitting at home doing nothing and getting paid for it. But I don't charge for my hols so when I'm sunning it up I'm not getting any money for it. Swings and roundabouts, don't feel guilty, enjoy your time off xx

Tulip
20-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree with Koala :) Enjoy your unexpected paid holiday x

charlottenash
20-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Enjoy your paid holiday definitely, just make sure there's no chance they will change their mind and book you in :)

Kiddleywinks
20-11-2013, 10:33 AM
You could offer to charge half fees if you were feeling really guilty, but make it clear it's a one off and not the norm :thumbsup:

Koala
20-11-2013, 10:41 AM
You could offer to charge half fees if you were feeling really guilty, but make it clear it's a one off and not the norm :thumbsup:

No Don't :thumbsup:
They wouldn't pay you if they didn't have to and I bet they love it that you don't charge for your hols.

hectors house
20-11-2013, 10:41 AM
They booked first - charge them - if you manage to finish early then that is a bonus.:thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
20-11-2013, 10:46 AM
No Don't :thumbsup:
They wouldn't pay you if they didn't have to and I bet they love it that you don't charge for your hols.

:laughing: only to make sure they don't change their mind :thumbsup:

toddlers896
20-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think the bit that's making me feel guilty is I am closing my business to one other child who won't have to pay as I am taking the holiday due to the full timer taking a week off. I feel it's not fair charging her but not the other one but then if she wasn't taking a week off I wouldn't be closing.

dawn100
20-11-2013, 12:38 PM
What days does the child who is taking holiday with you and what days does the part time child do?

funemnx
20-11-2013, 12:54 PM
The parents should pay as they booked the time off. I used to do this at Christmas - wait for the parents to book off so I then got paid when I was off. If they book first, they pay. They don't have to know you will be off as well... :thumbsup:

As you say, you wouldn't be off if they hadn't booked it anyway!

Goatgirl
20-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think the bit that's making me feel guilty is I am closing my business to one other child who won't have to pay as I am taking the holiday due to the full timer taking a week off. I feel it's not fair charging her but not the other one but then if she wasn't taking a week off I wouldn't be closing.

Perhaps you could refund her just the hours you are taking off which you would have originally been open for to accommodate the part time child? so.... if you would have been open 9 - 5 for the one on hols and have cancelled the part time child who would have come to you 3 - 5, I may think about refunding the 2 hours a day I have closed for :thumbsup:

For me it would depend on the little details and how respectful/accommodating the holidaying parent was.
Its tricky, as in theory, if she is paying but you couldn't accommodate her if she needed you after all, she'd wonder what she is paying for...... if you don't charge her, she may expect to pay less every time...

hope you come to a decision you are happy with :thumbsup:

Kerry30
20-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Why you feeling guilty?? Bet shes using paid holiday from her job. And if you dont charge or only charge part the week then they'll expect it all the time. My contracts say i only dont charge when i take holiday or sickness, so if shes booked holiday that was her choice. Whatever u do that week whether you work or not is your buisness. Look at it another way...if that was your only mindee then you'd get an extra week off!!!

toddlers896
20-11-2013, 01:41 PM
The child that is taking a week of is full time hours.she finishes on the 13th dec. the part timer is only five mornings a week. I was due to finish on the 20th but decided to close on the 13th as I would only be letting one parent down five mornings.

mummyMia
20-11-2013, 01:43 PM
If the parents of the two children don't know each other socially then I would charge in full and not tell the parent that is going on holiday that you are closing early. After all, it is not really anything to do with them. If they do know each other well and are likely mention it to each other then it might not be such a good idea. :)

Kerry30
20-11-2013, 01:46 PM
The child that is taking a week of is full time hours.she finishes on the 13th dec. the part timer is only five mornings a week. I was due to finish on the 20th but decided to close on the 13th as I would only be letting one parent down five mornings.

Your not letting anyone down, your entitled to holiday just as much as anyone else. We need a break to. In the last year ive only had 1 week off, apart from bank hols and the odd day a child hasnt come thru sickness. And im starting to notice it.

primula
21-11-2013, 11:39 PM
What do others do if your holidays are at the same time?

rickysmiths
22-11-2013, 01:53 AM
I charge half fee for my holidays, full fee for parents holidays. I tell parents my main holidays by the end of Jan so if they then choose to go away at the same time as me and most do because it makes sense, then they pay half fee. If they go away when I'm not on holiday then they pay full fee.

If you still have holiday to use up for this year and you decide to negotiate with the only other parent you have that week to take the time off that is your choice. Just because the parent is paying for their holidays does not mean you have to remain available in case they cancel especially at less than a months notice. It is not unreasonable for you to have made plans knowing you have the week off with the parent. You could have booked in a whole lot of outstanding dental treatments in the free afternoons, or arranged to go and visit your mum or sister or anything which is reasonable as they have booked holiday.

Relax and enjoy the time off.