PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave?

BlondeMoment
19-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Just found out I'm pregnant! Eeeeaak!
First baby of my own (although not first pregnancy as had miscarriage last time :( )

I'm just wondering what most of you do or have done about maternity leave.
Did you take a full 9 months then build your childminding back up? Or did you just take a few months then get everyone back? or something else?
Call me a softie but I'm so fond of the kiddies I have that I wouldn't want to loose them. But then I don't want to regret not having some special time with my own baby before returning to work. I haven't got to worry about it yet but if any of my parents find out (which they may do as I was incredibly sick last time) they may ask what the plan is.
My other worry is that once I get a bump I won't be able to reach over to the middle seat of my bloomin great Ford Galaxy to strap them into their seats properly either so may have to go on leave earlier than I'd like to.
I currently have 3 one year olds every day and after schoolies too so it's pretty tough going at the moment. The eldest of the babies won't even be 2.5 once I'm due so it won't their needs won't change much in the time I have.

What did you all do and did it work out OK?

Lisa x

bunnyjess
19-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I'd also be interested to know this as I haven't any of my own children (yet!) and always worry about what I would do

Tulip
19-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm pre reg so can't advise but just wanted to congratulate you on your wonderful news :clapping:

Kirsty90
19-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Just found out I'm pregnant! Eeeeaak!
First baby of my own (although not first pregnancy as had miscarriage last time :( )

I'm just wondering what most of you do or have done about maternity leave.
Did you take a full 9 months then build your childminding back up? Or did you just take a few months then get everyone back? or something else?
Call me a softie but I'm so fond of the kiddies I have that I wouldn't want to loose them. But then I don't want to regret not having some special time with my own baby before returning to work. I haven't got to worry about it yet but if any of my parents find out (which they may do as I was incredibly sick last time) they may ask what the plan is.
My other worry is that once I get a bump I won't be able to reach over to the middle seat of my bloomin great Ford Galaxy to strap them into their seats properly either so may have to go on leave earlier than I'd like to.
I currently have 3 one year olds every day and after schoolies too so it's pretty tough going at the moment. The eldest of the babies won't even be 2.5 once I'm due so it won't their needs won't change much in the time I have.

What did you all do and did it work out OK?

Lisa x

I had my first baby back in may, worked up until I was 36 weeks & came back to work in September when she was almost 4 months. I've been lucky that all my mindees have came back but to be honest I really regret coming back so soon. I've cut down from 5 days to 4 but still feel like I've missed out on quality time with my daughter so I would say if you can take off the full 9 months then do! I know a lot of other minders go back just weeks after giving birth & I honestly think there amazing for doing so because I know I couldn't of done it! Just do what you feel is right for you & your family because in this job it's easy to put others before yourself through fear of letting people down!

Congratulations enjoy your pregnancy! Xx

The Juggler
19-11-2013, 09:51 PM
oh wow! congrats honey. you do what YOU need to do and what you can afford. If you take off a longer period - then you can build your business back .up.

tigwig
19-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Congratulations! I had known just left my secure job to start childminding when I found out I was pregnant so my situation was quite difficult! I kept on taking on children until I was full as my oh was barely working after his job was going down the pan due to no fault of his own. I ended up taking on last mindee at 8.5 mths gone and worked full time until the very day before I went into labour. ..lol! It was Christmas and bubba was thankfully 2 weeks early so I had 4 weeks off which was double the time I had planned. I then had my 4 week old and 12 & 14 mth old s to care for. It was hard but I had no choice. I coped fine through the day then cried on a night:( . If you can arrange anything better I would advise it!!! Things will work out you will see :)

bunnyjess
20-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Forgot to say congratulations!

BlondeMoment
20-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your replies and congrats :)

I've still got some time to think about it I guess. I know a childminder who took just two weeks off after having a baby then returned to work. It was her third child though so I guess she knew how she was going to feel etc. With this being my first I just don't know. We could probably just about afford to take the full 9 months. I just can't bare the thought of all my little friends leaving me. Can't have it all I guess lol

samb
20-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Congratulations!

amyp
20-11-2013, 07:14 PM
I went back with my baby being 4 months, part time 12 month and 3 year old kiddies. Hated it at the time but looking back it was ok! Nice to have the pennies- you don't get your sat pay if you are working and you get sat mat for 9 months- so will you earn much more than that? £500 a month?