PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

katikatkins
19-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I have started a new child aged 10- he has SEN- he has been fine up to now (about a month) but has recently not been getting along with the other boys u look after- it was so bad this morning that he and another boy had 2 physical fights. His mum said he is seeing someone about his behavior after school tonight- she says hopefully he will get some medication.
Dont know what to do- I feel like everyone is going to leave because of him! What would u all do?

clairer
19-11-2013, 01:26 PM
I have to say that if a child was physically threatening to the other children in my care and they were at risk of harm I would terminate the contract. It's not discriminating against the child with SEN, it's being honest about how much you can take on in your setting with only one pair of hands. You have to look at the whole picture and worry about the masses, and not one individual in this case. If you get my drift.

I would be interested to hear what the others think.

Koala
19-11-2013, 01:31 PM
What a nightmare!

I think if it were me and this child was putting other children in jeopardy I would have to exclude until things settle down and whatever is needed - medication or whatever - is in place. You have a duty of care to everyone as stated in the EYFS, (I know you will be aware of this) you need to act now and make sure all your parents know you have acted on this issue.

It cannot be ignored and it cannot put your livelihood at risk.

I would not like my children to be put in this situation from either side. Whether being at risk from this child or if my child was to put others at risk.

Good luck :thumbsup: