PDA

View Full Version : Reheating question

littleDs31
18-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi, a parent provides a small portion of cooked mixed veg for her baby, to be heated up in microwave at lunchtime. Just curious as to how long you would heat it up for?? :)

sing-low
18-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders says it should be steaming all the way through. So for a small amount of veg, I would say, high for 1 minute, stir and check if steaming. Then another 30 seconds if still not hot. It should be far to hot to serve to a baby so will need time to cool down. Alternatively, you could get a temperature probe (I love mine!)

hectors house
18-11-2013, 01:28 PM
It would depend on the wattage of your microwave - no one can tell you how long to heat it for, if it was just vegetables I would just heat it for 20-30 seconds and try it myself to see if too hot/cold - if it is chicken/meat or rice based then I would heat up until very hot and let cool back down to the correct temperature as these things need to be heated up properly to make sure any bacteria is killed - I always ask parents to let me know what is in their liquidised meals so I can decide how long to cook for.

Rubybubbles
18-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Get yourself a temp probe from eBay worth their weight gold

I use it all the time now even for my own family cooking!

sarah707
18-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Probe it and then let it cool down - avoid rice because if it hasn't been cooled properly after cooking it can be dangerous x

littleDs31
18-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Temp probe it is then, thanks everyone :)

Tina O
18-11-2013, 08:34 PM
yep, temp probe is the way to go x (and don't re-heat rice, that bug is nasty!)

hectors house
18-11-2013, 09:02 PM
yep, temp probe is the way to go x (and don't re-heat rice, that bug is nasty!)

I always tell parents that they shouldn't re-heat rice and tell them that once rice hasn't been cooled properly even by heating to high temperature when re-heating you can't kill that spore and as you say it can lead to serious illness. I generally do meals once a mindee turns one to make sure that I know what I am re-heating and how it has been cooked, cooled and stored.