PDA

View Full Version : WOW book for Ofsted?

clairer
16-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Well it is coming around fast again, I am one year away from my next Ofsted inspection and trying to get organised.

At my first inspection I was graded as good with outstanding qualities after only four weeks practice. I showed the Ofsted lady my individual development books and she was impressed with how the children were achieving for the future but she said I should have a WOW book.

SO I have finally started to think about this amongst all the other observations, development books, activity planning and level 3 studying (and of course the actual caring for the children).

What the heck is a WOW book? Something the inspector can look at briefly to get an idea of quality of care?

So far... I have put in: activity planning examples, how the indoor and outdoor areas cover the EYFS, examples of observations quoting characteristics of learning and the areas of learning, next steps, examples of monthly planning, photographic examples of days out, parent references, parent child/questionnaires, extra reading examples/knowledge, and newsletters for the setting. I think I need a bigger WOW book!

Am I on the right track here?!!!

hectors house
16-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I saw at a friends setting where she had made a lovely photo album of activities the children had taken part in - the children were allowed to freely look at the book and recall their experiences. I am looking out for a cheap photo album where I can stick pictures in and write a brief note about what children were doing or where they were, as I thought it was a lovely idea.

clairer
16-11-2013, 10:21 PM
I have done individual photo albums for children before. To be honest my paperwork shelves are getting a bit full!

loocyloo
16-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I do a photo album each year on truprint with photos from throughout the year.
I used to have them in scrapbooks but they were bulky to store and photos fell out etc.
The children love looking through the photo albums. They even like looking through the ones from before I moved and recognising my children, toys and the cat!

clairer
16-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Am I over complicating things then?!

SYLVIA
17-11-2013, 09:48 AM
It was explained to me at a workshop that a WOW book/sheet is a WOW moment. You note down that moment that a child ties the first shoe lace, rides a bike etc. In my LJ anything like this is written up in a BIG STAR template to make it stand out. You could take a photo of that moment and add a caption. I know minders who keep WOW sheets for all the mindees after the LJ ends after reception year. Maybe something like this will work for you?

sarah707
17-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Is it an action in your inspection report?

If not then I wouldn't worry to be honest. What one inspector wanted 3 years ago is unlikely to be the same as what another inspector wants tomorrow...

If you have photo albums etc already then you are doing all the right things to show evidence of how you engage children in activities :D

clairer
17-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi Sarah

No it was not an action, just a tip. I couldn't really see how the wow book would be any different from the development books. Maybe I do need to highlight those WOW moments somehow in an extra special way, I will have a think.

The only thing I HAVE to do before the next inspection is make my environment more literacy friendly :)

hectors house
17-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi Sarah

No it was not an action, just a tip. I couldn't really see how the wow book would be any different from the development books. Maybe I do need to highlight those WOW moments somehow in an extra special way, I will have a think.

The only thing I HAVE to do before the next inspection is make my environment more literacy friendly :)

I would concentrate on the recommendation then - what plans do you have for that?

shortstuff
17-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Ds's school have wow sheets in the back of the reading log. Its for parents to send info to the setting of their wow moments at home.

Im guessing this is what ofsted was suggesting to you. Its a brill way of showing that you get feedback from home x

jadavi
17-11-2013, 08:42 PM
My special book aka learning journal includes all my wow moments. I don't see the need for another. I got outstanding twice with this.

clairer
18-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Well literacy wise- I already have laminated posters such as welcome, craft area, reading area, toilet, please take off your shoes etc etc. My house looks more like a school than a home now. ;)

There are also maths posters for the older ones and I plan to label the toy boxes with labels/pictures and make them more accessible for choosing.

Oh and there is usually a home corner, today there is a doctors surgery with a sign, medical kit, full size nurse doll! The kids could even make some little prescription cards.

I have masses of literacy resources also: phonics cards, books, abc flip books, writing sheets etc etc!

So think that action is about covered!