PDA

View Full Version : Inappropiate Material?

Tealady
15-11-2013, 11:36 PM
I have a mindee who is 10 at the end of December.

He has mentioned playing video games with a 16 rating and watching 12 & 15 films some which have had controversy over their rating.

He is the oldest child in my setting and likes to 'prove' this especially as DD (nearly 8) is mature and bright and on a level with him. He has also been known to make up stories for attention and to be better than the others.

This is where my dilema lies. His parents are divorced and I get the impression he accesses this stuff at his Dad's. However I do wonder if it is a bit of huff and puff to make himself appear bigger and better.

Should I be concerned? Do I discuss this with his Mum? Is it any of my business (not affecting his language or behaviour)? If I should mention it how do I raise it?

FussyElmo
16-11-2013, 06:44 AM
It really does depend on what he is watching/playing.

There are games out there with a 16 rating which are ok for younger children. The last teenage mutunt ninja turtle game had a 16 rating. So my son could watch the cartoons/the movie but not play the game. We brought the game and vetted it. My son was able to play it.

tas
16-11-2013, 09:36 AM
This is a minefield as everyone has their own individual thoughts and beliefs on what is right or wrong.

I think it may be worth having a word with the parent about what the child is saying and that you would prefer them not to talk about it to the other children as its inappropriate due to their ages.

Many children have parents (usually fathers) and older siblings who play adult games so the child is very likely to see the content even if they don’t actually play the games. I guess how much it affects them depends on the age and maturity of the child, this would most definitely be reflected in their behaviour.

My son wanted a new game out that wasn’t appropriate for his age, I wouldn’t let him and after a week of him alternating sulking for slamming doors he stopped asking and was going out more often. I thought I’d got off lightly until I found out the reason he was going out was to play the game around his friends houses! :mad: How do you stop that! :panic:

JCrakers
16-11-2013, 11:09 AM
I would mention to Mum that 'Although you cannot tell her what he watches or plays you need to be careful when he's relaying it back to the younger children'
Explain to her in a nice way that if he continues to hold conversations about rated games and DVDs then you will have to think about the contract. Explain that you cannot have the younger children exposed to it as its not suitable and other parents will not be happy. But if, like you say, its not affecting his behaviour or lang within the setting then I not sure what you could say.

Maybe ask her to have a quiet word with him that he must think about what he is saying before sharing it with the others in your setting as you have a lot of younger children and he needs to be more grown up about who he talks to about it. If he wants to be more 'grown up' and watch these films then he needs to be more 'grown up' when it comes to thinking. :D

My 2 children play games and watch films which are rated higher than their age. They are rated with recommendation and something like transformers for instance is a 12 but my ds watched it when he 7. It was a great film and yes, it had a lot of shooting in but in my eyes was just an action film with shooting robots. My 7yr old mindee loves transformers and has seen all 3 films.
15,16 and 18 films obviously have more violence, language and sex in and there's a lot on controversy about allowing children on certain games and I do agree with vetting games. My 11y old dd is not allowed 15 games/films but my son 14 does play Call of Duty and Battlefield and GTA which are 16 and 18 rating. His friends play online and if I was to not allow him it would a.) Be left out and feel lonely which would cause more damage in my eyes and B.) He would just go round to his friends house to play it behind my back which is worse.