PDA

View Full Version : Naughty

Tulip
15-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Do you use the word naughty if not what word do you use?

Tinkerbell1979
15-11-2013, 02:29 PM
No I say that I don't like that (what ever they have done) as its not nice

dette
15-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I try very very hard and can honestly say that 99.9 % of the time i'll say alternatives such as "that wasn't kind" or "try to behave nicely " or "that behaviour wasn't very nice" but....every now and then it will POP out :o. To be fair its usually my own children but I still don't want to say it.My "naughty step" is now the "thinking step" but I will sometimes slip up

cathtee
15-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I avoid using 'naughty' but it does come out occasionally, my mindees use it so obviously said at home, and i use the time out step.

sarah707
15-11-2013, 05:31 PM
i try really really hard to use positives - we walk in the house ... we do this or that...

I used it once with ds - I still remember it - or maybe I still feel guilty - but he was a little horror sometimes :laughing:

cookiesncream
18-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I think it's perfectly fine to say that certain behaviour is naughty but not say that a child is naughty. It's so simple a word, little kids know what it means, you can confuse them with too much talk around the point.

clairer
18-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I try not to say naughty, I am the same as the others. I say- that wasn't very nice, we don't do that, hitting hurts etc etc

Tina O
18-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I say something is 'not nice' or 'not kind'....and when children use their 'pleases & thank you' etc... I respond with 'thank you for using your kind words'

hectors house
18-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Had this discussion on a behaviour course at the weekend - we all decided that we tried not to use the N word but that if you say "don't hit", "don't run", "don't push" that the child stops hearing the "don't" and just hears "hit" etc, so better to say positively what you Do expect or want them to do "be kind", "walk indoors" etc instead and if you do use the N word to direct it at the action/behaviour rather than the child eg "that was a naughty thing to do" rather than "you are a naughty boy/girl".