PDA

View Full Version : sick children

Emmalou77
15-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a school child that I care for and at the end of school yesterday she complained of feeling ill. Her mum sent her to me this morning saying she hasn't been sick and had not needed any medicine. Shortly before going to school the child forgot herself and just came out with "I was sick last night and it was all over my bed" she realised she had slipped up and when I quizzed her more she said "I can't remember" I know the child well enough no know my instincts are right. How would you deal with this? :/

emma04
15-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I would call mum and with a firm tone reiterate my policy on sickness!! Depending on the response, I would then serve notice, I won't work with people like this!
Some people have such a total disregard for other people it's unbelievable! And making her child lie is even worse!!

ja-lula-belli
15-11-2013, 10:06 AM
What an awful situation the parent has put you in. You are going to have to call and state your sickness policy.
She should know that children rat you out! Lol

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Emmalou77
15-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your advice everyone. I don't really want to have to give notice to parent and I will send her a formal letter reiterating my sickness policy but should I have the child after school? Assuming she isn't sent home ill first!

Mouse
15-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your advice everyone. I don't really want to have to give notice to parent and I will send her a formal letter reiterating my sickness policy but should I have the child after school? Assuming she isn't sent home ill first!

No, I wouldn't have the child after school. I would phone mum and say that X has told you she was sick last night and that you are disappointed mum didn'tt tell you that herself. Tell her she has put you in an awkward situation taking a knowingly ill child to school. I would then say that due to your sickness policy, you will not be able to collect X from school and she should make alternative arrangements.

Koala
15-11-2013, 11:27 AM
No, I wouldn't have the child after school. I would phone mum and say that X has told you she was sick last night and that you are disappointed mum didn'tt tell you that herself. Tell her she has put you in an awkward situation taking a knowingly ill child to school. I would then say that due to your sickness policy, you will not be able to collect X from school and she should make alternative arrangements.

First - give mum chance to confirm that the child isn't exaggerating (lying) I am sure she isn't but then again!! But agree with everyone else - it's a dirty trick.

Emmalou77
15-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Well I texted mum and she said x said same to her this morning but when she checked her bed it was clean. This exact same senario had happened once before. Who do I believe? Is mum being clever blaming it on x. I believe x

Lottie
15-11-2013, 01:47 PM
If there had been no discussion or mention of sickness before the child came out with this, I would probably believe the child.
If there had been a mention of sickness then it might be that she wants to feel 'as important' etc, so she said she had also been sick.

How old's the child?

Mouse
15-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Well I texted mum and she said x said same to her this morning but when she checked her bed it was clean. This exact same senario had happened once before. Who do I believe? Is mum being clever blaming it on x. I believe x

Unfortunately your hands are often tied when parents blatantly fib. You know you don't believe the parents, but without proof there's not a lot you can do :panic:

Emmalou77
15-11-2013, 03:41 PM
She's 4 Lottie.

Lottie
15-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I think children around this age can come out with really random/ off the wall comments. It might be the case.
However if she wasn't feeling well yesterday I would assume she was sick. Oh I don't know, I'm so cynical nowadays anyway.
Maybe update your sickness policy and add that if any parent knowingly send their child unwell to you, and you are then infected and need to close, they will be charged the normal fee. Not sure how this could ever be proven in reality if bugs are going round. It may be enough though to stop parent next time, if she is fibbing.

Emmalou77
15-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Great idea Lottie, I have spoke to mum who insists x wasn't sick but who can blame me for believing x when she felt unwell yesterday. Anyway I have come to the conclusion that she must have been dreaming about the movie called cloudy with a chance of meatballs, shes been watching it quite a bit and she said she threw up spaghetti and meatballs which mum said they haven't had in ages. Lol

ja-lula-belli
15-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Great idea Lottie, I have spoke to mum who insists x wasn't sick but who can blame me for believing x when she felt unwell yesterday. Anyway I have come to the conclusion that she must have been dreaming about the movie called cloudy with a chance of meatballs, shes been watching it quite a bit and she said she threw up spaghetti and meatballs which mum said they haven't had in ages. Lol

Lol x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding