PDA

View Full Version : Inform Ofsted of social services referral?

jadavi
14-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi
Am I wrong in thinking we have to inform Ofsted if a mindee's family has had a referral to social services made about them?
This concerns a mindee's sibling (not with me) whose behaviour is putting the family at risk.
Do I need to tell Ofsted?

Simona
14-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi
Am I wrong in thinking we have to inform Ofsted if a mindee's family has had a referral to social services made about them?
This concerns a mindee's sibling (not with me) whose behaviour is putting the family at risk.
Do I need to tell Ofsted?

I would suggest you talk to your EY team to get sound advice on what you need to do
You are aware a 'referral' has been made therefore your Child protection/Safeguarding team should support you in what you need to be aware of.

That is what I would do.

jadavi
14-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks
It's just that a trusted colleague of 20 years child minding is totally sure I don't have to tell Ofsted.

jitterbug
14-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Based on my recent safeguarding training Ofsted should only be notified when a child has been seriously injured in your care. HOWEVER it's probably best to check with your LA for peace of mind!

Simona
14-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks
It's just that a trusted colleague of 20 years child minding is totally sure I don't have to tell Ofsted.

When it comes to safeguarding the best people for advice are your Safeguarding team at EY...they will tell you what to do

jadavi
15-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Can't get through

Anyone know for sure ?
Sarah?

Simona
15-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Can't get through

Anyone know for sure ?
Sarah?

Each LA has its own Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB)...they are the experts and you should have their number in case you want to contact them for anything....they are the best to advise you

No one here can be sure because we do not know the guidelines in your LA and what they expect you to do in this instance

Call them and see what they advise if you have had no joy by calling your EY team

sarah707
15-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I am currently supporting a childminder who didn't make a call to Ofsted over something ... she didn't think she needed to... it was one of those situations where I maybe wouldn't have been sure ...

BUT if she'd asked me I would have said - ring them - let them tell you they don't want to know.

Hope this helps x

jadavi
15-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks love

Ok will do xxx

line6
15-11-2013, 06:09 PM
I am currently supporting a childminder who didn't make a call to Ofsted over something ... she didn't think she needed to... it was one of those situations where I maybe wouldn't have been sure ... BUT if she'd asked me I would have said - ring them - let them tell you they don't want to know. Hope this helps x

Yes that's what I would do. Ring them anyway and let them tell you if they don't need to know. Better to call and not need to than the other way round.

Simona
15-11-2013, 10:10 PM
I am currently supporting a childminder who didn't make a call to Ofsted over something ... she didn't think she needed to... it was one of those situations where I maybe wouldn't have been sure ...

BUT if she'd asked me I would have said - ring them - let them tell you they don't want to know.

Hope this helps x

Thank you for reinforcing what I have been saying from the start in reply to the question in this thread...my advice was: ring those who know and make sure you understand about Safeguarding! now you have confirmed my support/advice it will be taken into account I hope.

jadavi
18-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Trouble is no one us in or getting back to me!

jadavi
18-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Just heard back from my safeguarding d o
She says unless there's an incident here involving social services we don't need to inform Ofsted if a family has been referred.
Thanks for your help.

sing-low
18-11-2013, 01:38 PM
This may sound over the top but do you have that in writing/in an email rather than just a phone conversation?

jadavi
18-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Good point

I can log the call. The lady and I know each other . I don't believe she would try and pretend she hadn't said that if later questioned.

shortstuff
19-11-2013, 05:36 AM
I have to say I would rather cover myself by giving ofsted too much information than ever risk not giving something they need.
Ive always working in every job ive done with the ethos of covering my a***.

I think in your situation Jadavi I would send a veey carefully worded email to ofsted that way it will be on your file. Whether needed or not.

jadavi
19-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks Gail.

jadavi
19-11-2013, 07:18 AM
The trouble is Ofsted might misunderstand and come and visit!
I have been on the receiving end of three really bad mistakes of theirs!

watford wizz
19-11-2013, 07:22 AM
You could always e-mail you safeguarding friend saying you are just confining phone conversation date time who spoke to concerning ..... Just in case x