PDA

View Full Version : 6 yr old wetting the bed!

cathtee
14-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm trying to find the thread about bed wetting I'm sure there was one not long ago. A parent has a child nearly 6 wetting the bed regually
and wants some advice I've told her what I know but am sure there was more in the thread.

Any tips please would be gratefully received

Thanks

SwanLake
14-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I'd be interested in this as well as my 6 year old DD has started to wet the bed nightly again and is back in pull ups (her is allergy related so not a lot I can do until we get the allergies under control) but would still welcome any advice. We are also at the stage where she maybe going back into pull ups for school (meeting school nurse on Tuesday) as her allergies have caused double incontinence.

Swan x

cathtee
14-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I'd be interested in this as well as my 6 year old DD has started to wet the bed nightly again and is back in pull ups (her is allergy related so not a lot I can do until we get the allergies under control) but would still welcome any advice. We are also at the stage where she maybe going back into pull ups for school (meeting school nurse on Tuesday) as her allergies have caused double incontinence.

Swan x

I hope this thread helps you too.

JCrakers
14-11-2013, 02:33 PM
My own two children wet the bed until late. My ds was 6yrs and my dd was 8.5yrs old. Nothing I did helped, I tried everything but they are both heavy sleepers.

Because my dd was over 8 (the recommended age to see a dr) she was advised to drink more and I had to measure her wee. She was weeing a little each time so her bladder wasn't stretched to its capacity. She had to drink more at set intervals.
After about 5 months she did stop weeing but whether it was the water or she had just matured.
Its to do with the part of the brain that sends the signals not being developed enough to get that message through. Over time it develops but is quicker in some children than others. Both my children were dry in the day by 2yrs old but night times just were harder.

My advice would be not to worry at all, its very, very common and although its not the thing to talk about, I know there are a lot of children who still wet the bed in to their teens.
If she's tried the lifting in the night and its not working tell her to make sure he's drinking more in the day and then none after tea time :thumbsup:

cathtee
14-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks JCrackers will pass this onto her.

maisiemog
14-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I was a bed wetter until I was almost 18. We tried everything for me, in the end knowing I was starting Uni soon I trained myself by setting my alarm every two hours and gradually increasing the time between them. I was fine while I was taking medication but when I wasn't using it I wet the bed almost every night. I don't have a particularly strong bladder during the day either!

My DD is 5 and still has a pull up on. I was told that its so normal at this age a Dr won't do anything until after they are 8. I would tell mum not to worry about it just yet, it's not abnormal at 6.

little chickee
14-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Has the child always wet the bed or has he been dry for a while and gone back to wetting?

If its the first then I really wouldnt worry too much. My eldest boy wet the bed every night til he was about 10 or 11. we just b put him in night time pull ups until he grew out of it.

My 10 yo son was in night time pull ups until he was about 7 or 8 - he is 10 now and will still occasionally wet. Lots of kids are wet at night - parents just don't talk about it so you don't realise how commom it is.

If its going back to wetting after being dry for ages I would advise a visit to the doctor just to be sure - could be any number of reasons for it.

funemnx
14-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I had a mindee who was still wetting the bed at 8 and one of the things that helped him was having a wee standing up before bed, going to bed and reading for 20 mins and then having a stand up wee. The different angle seemed to make a difference for him :thumbsup:

Maza
14-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Someone on here recommended the website ERIC which is great for all toileting issues in kids. x

Ali56
14-11-2013, 08:34 PM
There is a hormone which a child needs to produce in order to be dry at night-vasopressin, I think? Until they produce it, they can't be dry at night. It happens between the ages of 2 and 8. Most GP's won't refer an under 8 for further intervention because of this. Don't worry. Give plenty to drink thru the day to encourage good bladder strength.
Check out the ERIC website for reassurance- Information on Bedwetting for parents (http://www.eric.org.uk/Parents/info_bedwetting_wetting_parents)

x

Nicpat
14-11-2013, 09:33 PM
My son was told by a doctor to cut out any black currant drinks or black currant fruit. The doctor could not explain why but he said that we would prob see a difference. We cut it out of his diet and he does really well at night now.

Simona
14-11-2013, 11:25 PM
useful info here

Bedwetting - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bedwetting/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

cathtee
15-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks you all for your help, I will pass all the info over to mom.

Thanks agian