PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Holiday entitlement

caz3007
14-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I only take 3 weeks holiday a year on an old contract but want to increase it to 4 to bring them all in line as next year my son starts high school and will need the first couple of days to settle him. Can anyone suggest a way of telling parent I am increasing it as struggling. Thanks

littlebears1009
14-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Just write a letter stating you are amending the contract to allow you to take 4 weeks holiday per year starting from...... best to make the change effective from when your holidays run from i.e jan to jan make the change in jan, could be complicated to work it out if you do it half way through. Do 2 copi

littlebears1009
14-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Just write a letter stating you are amending the contract to allow you to take 4 weeks holiday per year starting from...... best to make the change effective from when your holidays run from i.e jan to jan make the change in jan, could be complicated to work it out if you do it half way through. Do 2 copies for each parent and ask them to sign one copy and return it to you. This is how I would do it without having to write new contracts x

caz3007
14-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you Little Bear, will do that to start from 1st Jan as that's when our holidays run. Got a text from mum asking for my holidays next year as most of the school holidays had already gone at her work :panic: Luckily I pretty much know them, but wont know the dates for my son starting at the school until closer

AliceK
14-11-2013, 09:25 AM
In my policies I state that I will usually take 4 weeks holiday but that adhoc days may be taken and parents will be advised as soon as I know of them. Around Jan / Feb time I give all parents a spreadsheet detailing all my "booked" holidays but I always put a note on there to say other adhoc days will be notified as soon as I know of them.

xxxxx

bunyip
14-11-2013, 10:15 AM
You may need to draw up a new contract and get the parents to agree to this. I'd guess that a CM's holiday allowance represents a substantive element of the agreement. If you just go ahead and change it, the client may well have a legal case that the new holiday arrangement represents an unconscionable clause which would thus negate at least that part (if not all) of the contract.

This may sound harsh, but you have to flip the whole thing on its head in order to judge where it is reasonable to make the change unilaterally without the client's agreement. If the parent said to you, "sorry but I want you to reduce it to 2 weeks holiday for my benefit" would you just let it happen or demand contract negotiations take place? :huh:

rickysmiths
14-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I would invite any parents on an old Contract in for a Contract review. I do this annually at the very least with all my parents.

At that time you say you are giving them xxx notice that your holidays will go up a week in line with your current Policy. I can't see that they can complain too much as the min holiday any employer can give an employee on min wage in law is 28 days which may or may not include the 8 Bank and Public Holidays in England. That means a min of 20 days annual holiday.

gef918
14-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I review contracts annually, so if it is an old contract I would arrange a review meeting with parent/s.

fran90
14-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Hello. Do you charge for your holidays or take them as unpaid leave? I'm drawing up documents at the min for my pre reg visit and am unsure on holiday.

caz3007
14-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I charge half for mine and half for parents. Its always worked for me

The Juggler
14-11-2013, 09:33 PM
i would be tempted NOT to change the contract for any current parents but introduce it for new parents. as someone else replied, the holiday entitlement you have is a major part of the decision making process for parents. you might lose them.

littlebears1009
15-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Prices are also a major part of a contract however I doubt many minders would meet with parents about price increases and ask them if they are ok with it. If you really want 4 weeks holidays per year I would write to your parents and advise of your intentions. If any object then you can invite those in for a chat and explain your reasons for the change. X

caz3007
15-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you all for your input. I am going to think on it over the weekend.

rickysmiths
15-11-2013, 12:54 PM
i would be tempted NOT to change the contract for any current parents but introduce it for new parents. as someone else replied, the holiday entitlement you have is a major part of the decision making process for parents. you might lose them.

But how can she work if she has different amounts of holiday in different Contracts? That would mean she would still only be able to take the 3 weeks off wouldn't it.

If she takes unpaid holiday then it won't be an issue and as I've said the parents must each have a min of 20 days off plus the 8 BH so and extra week off shouldn't be a problem for them at all.

rickysmiths
15-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Hello. Do you charge for your holidays or take them as unpaid leave? I'm drawing up documents at the min for my pre reg visit and am unsure on holiday.

I charge half for mine a full for the parents if they are off at a time when I am still working. I can'r afford to give all the parents half fee holidays they all have 6 weeks off!!

hectors house
15-11-2013, 02:31 PM
If you go on your son's new school website they may have details of their holiday dates for next year. My daughter isn't at school anymore but I do look after a teacher's children so I have looked up his school holiday dates for next year - I am going to try to go away during Easter hols and then by including the bank holidays my husband doesn't lose as much holiday and I don't inconvenience the all year round parents so much. In Somerset the Easter holidays are 2 weeks before Easter so they get 2 weeks off, then bank holiday Monday and go back on the Tuesday - so nice long holiday.

caz3007
15-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Hector the holiday dates aren't a problem, its the first couple of days settling him at the high school and cant books those yet as don't know insets and stuff. Its not a problem, one parent has already said, just let me know when it is as its important you have the time off.

The parent gets 12 extra days a year than normal because of the lieu hours, so don't see a problem with asking for the extra week. I wont necessarily take it, its just in case

dawn100
15-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I do not have in my contracts how many weeks holiday I take, it just states my time off is unpaid, I use mm contracts. Does anyone else not have the number of weeks holiday they take in their contract?

The Juggler
15-11-2013, 05:03 PM
But how can she work if she has different amounts of holiday in different Contracts? That would mean she would still only be able to take the 3 weeks off wouldn't it.

If she takes unpaid holiday then it won't be an issue and as I've said the parents must each have a min of 20 days off plus the 8 BH so and extra week off shouldn't be a problem for them at all.

well the only way is if the children with more holiday come on different days but she may not be able to take it all until she has all new parents but at least this way she is phasing it in over time to enable her to take it all eventually.

I would not risk increasing holiday with current parents even if unpaid - that's an extra week for which they have to find cover when they signed a contract understanding a different amount of cover would be required. As a parent I think that would annoy me.