PDA

View Full Version : Panicked!

kellyskidz!
13-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Almost choked about an hour ago and have now totally freaked myself out!:panic: only just stopped shaking!
I was eating an apple and it got completely stuck, thankfully the children were in the room next door doing jigsaws and so didn't see me and get upset
Must have been about 15 seconds before it went down but it felt like time stood still, it was terrifying! And parents aren't due for half an hour, so how long would I have been there for?!
I'm not a worrier but I really got upset about it, I phoned my oh and mum as I was so shaken. My throat is really hurting now too, feels like its scratched and its really painful to swallow
No real point to this post, just worried me and got me wondering what if it hadn't dislodged? I'd have 2 young kids here and my own daughter on their own for over an hour, maybe more, before anyone realised. Doesn't bare thinking about :(

SJ35
13-11-2013, 04:57 PM
No wonder you're shook up! So scary!! Thank goodness it went down. Makes you realise how scary it can be working alone. Hope your throats better soon xx

greanan
13-11-2013, 05:12 PM
This happened to me once but thankfully I was with a friend and her kids aswell and my mindees. She had to hit my back to get up dislodged. Shock me up thinking if I hadn't been with her and just had mindees on my own. Scary!! Hope your okay! X

hectors house
13-11-2013, 05:21 PM
It's scary isn't it - I did same thing with chocolate cake - nearly was "death by chocolate" cake. It makes you realise why you can't leave children alone when they are eating, you automatically think you would hear them choking but in lots of cases if the airway is completely blocked the choking is silent. Hope your throat settles down, I'm sure a glass of wine (for purely medicinal purposes) when children have done home is required.:)

ja-lula-belli
13-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh I have experienced this I had to run into a table to do a kind of hinelich (sorry haven't a clue how to spell that) technique. That was scary it was about 5 Yeah e'er s ago, wasn't minding then but had my baby boy with me only about 6 months and it was the morning and hubby wouldn't of been home until gone 8! Would of been awful!

Thankfully everything turned out OK. Hope you feel better soon x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Kaybeaa
13-11-2013, 05:47 PM
This type of thing worries me all the time. We spend so long trying to protect the children and make sure that they don't come to harm and half the time forget about ourselves. Glad it went down x

Ripeberry
13-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Glad it went down. I had that once with a Haribo sweet, but this was just outside a shopping center. I was eating the sweet then my daughter went into a shop and I must have swallowed and tried to speak at the same time. It got stuck for a while and I felt faint so fell to my knees. The jolt was enough to dislodge it.
I have asked when I was on a first aid course, what can you do to help yourself. They could only suggest slamming your back against a wall or leaning forward over the back of a chair.
But it's true, we worry about the kids but the most important one in most cases is OUR safety!

I try to only eat sliced apple and even now I still get nervous about Haribo sweets. :panic:

scottishlass
13-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I did this years ago before I had my kids on a piece of cooked chicken! I can still remember the panic - my now hubby but then boyfriend was in the kitchen and couldn't hear me choking - I ended up being sick!! How lovely in my then new bf flat! Was very scary tho! Xx

blue bear
13-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Hugs for you :group hug:

Maza
13-11-2013, 09:51 PM
It's awful isn't it? I did it once and I can remember trying to get my mum's attention and miming to her to pat my back - she started laughing, thinking I had gone mad and was doing a silly dance:panic: I was so angry at her!

My sister-in-law also did it and it took her months before she would eat anything in the house whilst she was alone.
Hugs to you. x

kellyskidz!
15-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks all! Sore throat only lasted the night but could have been worse!
I've calmed down now but am still chewing each mouthful about a thousand times lol, I have now told my Mum if she doesn't hear from me via text for a few hours to come over lol! She only lives over the road so is now my emergency person until I get over the choking episode!xx