View Full Version : Advice please

12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Hello fellow childminders!

I want to know.... If a granny is a registered childminder and looks after her grandchildren can her daughter get wtc ? Mum is eligible, she already has a cm but due to a change in circumstances can't keep this family on. Gran can give the extended hours family needs

Wibble the waiting in anticip.......…ation xxx

12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
yes as long as gran is registered.
Gran would need to care for at least 1 other ey child to maintain her registration though as the grandchild doesn't count ( well they do count in numbers but not for inspection / registration purposes)
I have a feeling that hasn't clarified anything at all !!

12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Don't know. Would HMRC helpline clarify?

12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes, it is my understanding that as long as the grandparent has registration then family can claim wft childcare allowance as long as it is being paid! receipts need to be kept particularly in cases like this.

I couldn't confirm whether grandparent had to look after another EYFS child for this purpose but I wouldn't have thought so. But I may be wrong. Get it confirmed with WFTC AND Ofsted (in writing). :thumbsup:

hectors house
12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
I think Ofsted deregistered childminders who were just looking after grandchildren - so providing this granny is still registered and does look after other children and has a space then YES her daughter can use her for childcare and claim Working Family Tax Credit. I do look after my grandson just one day a week but I do that for love and not money - I couldn't afford to look after him all week for Free though.

karen m
12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
The answer is yes as long as you are willing to take another child on in the EYFS , I look after my grandson his mum gets wtc , I do have other children on my books , I do know a other minder who only has her 2 grandchildren and has stated she is not willing to take others on