PDA

View Full Version : Talking about death with toddlers?

AdeleMarie88
12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello all for the first time today I was really really stumped what to say to a toddler. I have always been one to just tell the truth, but today, on the way to music, we saw a dead pigeon in the middle of the road. A couple of my toddlers asked what it was doing and another child said it looks sad! I didn't know what to say, so I said it may not be very well! (Panic) will of course ask their parents tonight how they want me to deal with any future questions, but was thinking, would I need a policy on this? And has anyone else got a policy on heal king about death?!

Simona
12-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Hello all for the first time today I was really really stumped what to say to a toddler. I have always been one to just tell the truth, but today, on the way to music, we saw a dead pigeon in the middle of the road. A couple of my toddlers asked what it was doing and another child said it looks sad! I didn't know what to say, so I said it may not be very well! (Panic) will of course ask their parents tonight how they want me to deal with any future questions, but was thinking, would I need a policy on this? And has anyone else got a policy on heal king about death?!

There is a wonderful book you can read to introduce children to the concept of death, loss and grief
It is called 'Come back Grandma' by Sue Limb published by Random House Children's books

gef918
12-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Definitely one to discuss with parents, because everyone has different views and beliefs. I tend to say that dead animals are sleeping or poorly if I haven't discussed this with parents.

hectors house
12-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Another good book is "Goodbye Mog"

AdeleMarie88
12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys, will get some from amazon tonight I think!!

Is it worth putting together some kind of policy? X