PDA

View Full Version : Those without playrooms...

primula
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Where and how do you keep/display books?!! I have mine in a basket but not really happy with that as I seem to collected more books and they don't all fit in now! I don't have masses of space, wondered what other people do? thanks

rickysmiths
12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a shed and plastic storage boxes and I rotate my toys.

Tulip
12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
I've got bookcases and also a box that i keep hardbacked baby books in.
You can get nice pouffe's with a lid on, you could maybe store some in there if you don't want them on view :)

samb
12-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I used to have a box that I rotate every other week with books from my kids room but now I have a billy bookcase in the living room

hectors house
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I have a big basket with handles on for board books, small basket for ladybird sized books and then our current library books or selection of other sized books I display on a coffee table in lounge where children play.

VeggieSausage
12-11-2013, 01:45 PM
I have mine in a bookcase in another part of the house and have an old basket that I put in the living room and put some different ones in each week....

clairer
12-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a bookcase in the lounge and another in the nursery upstairs.

MrsPixie
12-11-2013, 01:50 PM
We used cardboard boxes to make a forward facing display which seats on the hearth of the old fire place in our dining room :)

tulip0803
12-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I have book shelves in mine with different size shelves for different sized books:D

gef918
12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I have some books in my playroom, other's in the dining room, more in a box in the lounge and some more upstairs on the landing.

I like children's books!

Maza
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I have a little 'tidy books' bookcase. I think the secret though is to do what someone else mentioned and rotate books. x

primula
12-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I have a shed and plastic storage boxes and I rotate my toys.

This seem like a plan! If you store them in plastic boxes do they get damp at all if left for a while?

FloraDora
13-11-2013, 12:08 AM
FLÄTA Magazine rack - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50163711/)

My whole house is a library! We love reading.

I bought a magazine rack from Ikea - when it was on offer.
It's big enought to take about 10 books and has a handle to transport to wherever you want to read the books. It also folds up if you want to de - childmind the room.

smurfette
13-11-2013, 07:18 AM
FLÄTA Magazine rack - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50163711/) My whole house is a library! We love reading. I bought a magazine rack from Ikea - when it was on offer. It's big enought to take about 10 books and has a handle to transport to wherever you want to read the books. It also folds up if you want to de - childmind the room.

This is a good idea thanks!!

ja-lula-belli
13-11-2013, 08:28 AM
I found a darling knitting basket/wool holder it's a folding one. It is great as a little book holder which I place next to my toy unit.
It's tough to keep your home still a home when you do not have a designated play room as no matter what you do your room turns into one. The key is rotation. I'm lucky that my children are still young so I have most of the toys in there bedrooms so I can minimize the amount I have downstairs and like I said before rotate them. X x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

LauraS
13-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I have about thirty books on a low windowledge (the more fragile ones) plus about twenty or so in a wicker basket on the floor (the more sturdy ones) with beanbags and cushions etc. I have a couple of smaller baskets and boxes to put books elsewhere, for example cookbooks in the mud kitchen, a Haynes manual in the garage area in the garden, insect/nature books in the 'hide' we built. I then have three huge bookcases in the childrens bedrooms upstairs where the majority of our books live as we have thousands, and we rotate them.

Ofsted didn't like this arrangement, so be warned lol. I received a recommendation on my report citing this as an area where improvements were needed.

k-tots
13-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I have my books on two shelving units in my front room.......my children's special night time books are in their bedrooms....sometimes I bring a few down. I can't understand y ofsted wouldn't like your arrangement. ...what else are u supposed to do

primula
14-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I have about thirty books on a low windowledge (the more fragile ones) plus about twenty or so in a wicker basket on the floor (the more sturdy ones) with beanbags and cushions etc. I have a couple of smaller baskets and boxes to put books elsewhere, for example cookbooks in the mud kitchen, a Haynes manual in the garage area in the garden, insect/nature books in the 'hide' we built. I then have three huge bookcases in the childrens bedrooms upstairs where the majority of our books live as we have thousands, and we rotate them.

Ofsted didn't like this arrangement, so be warned lol. I received a recommendation on my report citing this as an area where improvements were needed.

What on earth didn't they like about that??