PDA

View Full Version : Calpol administration

helendee
12-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Can anyone please tell me if I am allowed to give Calpol to a teething child from my own supply or does it need to be actually provided by the parent/guardian?

I have told the mother of little S that she is poorly and she has asked me to give her calpol but forgot to put some in her bag. I have a bottle here which I keep for my grandchildren if they need it but am unsure whether I should use it?

Thanks for any replies.

Mouse
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Personally, I don't keep Calpol here, so could never give it unless a parent had supplied it.

If parents agree to you giving it I don't see why you couldn't use some that you already have in. It's not a prescription medicine, so one bottle could be used for different children. Unless it's prescribed it's not for one specific child. And as it's yours, you know where it's from, that it's in date etc.

Koala
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
In my opinion and to my understanding you should NOT give ANY medication unless provided by the parents/carers.
This is to safeguard yourself.

Mouse
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
In my opinion and to my understanding you should NOT give ANY medication unless provided by the parents/carers.
This is to safeguard yourself.

That makes sense to me, which is why I don't keep any medication in for children. But I know a lot of people do keep it in, so I assumed you must be able to do it :huh:

clairer
12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree with Koala only give medicines supplied by parents with written permission.

helendee
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I thought this would be the case.

Looks like one disgruntled parent will soon be on their way to collect their poorly toddler! x

Tulip
12-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh dear, hope it all goes well with parent, perhaps you could give them a copy of your medicine policy x

bunyip
12-11-2013, 06:34 PM
FYI, the latest Ofsted advice was contained within Giving medication to children in registered childcare - A childcare factsheet (document reference: 080290, January 2013. As I can no longer find this in the downloads section of their website, I guess it may be under review and due for a new one, but it is the latest guidance from Ofsted. It has an interesting twist on the subject of prescribed medicines:-

‘Prescribe’ and ‘prescription’
The Statutory Framework states that ‘medicines must not usually be administered unless they have been prescribed for a child by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist’.
When we use the word ‘prescribe’ we mean medicine that is recommended.
When we use the word ‘prescription’ we mean written instructions from a doctor or dentist.
Most pharmacists cannot write prescriptions and can only prepare the medicine as instructed by a doctor or dentist. However, they can recommend (prescribe)
over-the-counter medicines such as teething gels, when children are teething, or painkillers, when children have a temperature.

My personal take on this is that the DofE botched yet another part of EYFS when they wrote the regulations, leaving Ofsted to try and clear up the mess by redefining what people usually understand by the word "prescribed".

In practice, I normally ask parents to supply all medicines, including 'over-the-counter' medications with a pharmacist's label printed with the child's name.

I understand there are some issues with giving Infant Nurofen to children. It is linked to asthma problems and potentially links to other complaints because, whilst it does not contain aspirin, it mimics the active effects of aspirin.

AliceK
12-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I will always ask if a child has had Ibuprofen (Nurofen) before and would not give it to a child if they hadn't already had it at some time in the past. Paracetamol (Calpol) has already been given to almost all children in my experience so I have no problem with that.

To the OP, I nearly always give a dose of my own Calpol with the parents permission.

xxxx

bunyip
14-11-2013, 09:41 AM
OOPs :p my error :blush:

In my earlier post I was referring to the concerns associated with Ibuprofen, (sold as Infant Nurofen, etc.) and not Calpol (which is a paracetamol product.)

Fortunately, I'm a bit more 'switched on' when administering the stuff than when I'm merely writing about it.

Simona
14-11-2013, 09:45 AM
One of the things to think about when giving Nurofen is that it can cause a reaction if given on an empty tummy
Even adults who take Ibuprofen are recommended having a little food with it...this advice from a chemist not just my thinking!

AliceK
14-11-2013, 09:47 AM
One of the things to think about when giving Nurofen is that it can cause a reaction if given on an empty tummy
Even adults who take Ibuprofen are recommended having a little food with it...this advice from a chemist not just my thinking!

This is true, it has made me feel very sick before when I've taken it on an empty stomach.

xxx

Kerry30
14-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Yes i was told by doctor 2 weeks ago when my dd had tonsilitus not to give nurofen on an empty stomach. Ended up just having calpol as she wouldnt eat.

Simona
14-11-2013, 09:50 AM
This is true, it has made me feel very sick before when I've taken it on an empty stomach.

xxx

Nurofen can cause stomach ulcers and a nasty reaction...I know from experience as I am allergic to it
Worth reading the small print

bunyip
14-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Nurofen can cause stomach ulcers and a nasty reaction...I know from experience as I am allergic to it
Worth reading the small print

Ooh - not pleasant. :(

Nothing worse than a constant bellyache.

clareelizabeth1
14-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I can't give DS calpol he get a rash every time within 20 mins so it's nureophen all the way with us

vickylou
14-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Nurofen and ibuprofen should always be taken with/after food as can cause stomach ulcers!!! As my mum found out after years of taking it having never been told to take it on a full stomach! Problem is, I take ibuprofen for migraines and eating is not on the top of my agenda!!! So am a bit naughty and have it on a empty stomach then, and luckily don't have any side effects but definitely not something to be done regularly