PDA

View Full Version : How can children lose toys so quickly & in such a confined space???

Mouse
12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I have 3 under 3s here this morning. Now that they've gone for their pre-lunch nap, I'm tidying up. This morning they have been playing with some coloured clothes pegs. I have 12 of them in a box...except now I only have 11. It took them less than 5 minutes to lose one of them :panic:

The pegs have only been used in this room. No child has left the room while they were playing. No toys or toy boxes have left the room. No one else has been here. I have checked clothing (2yr old has a habit of putting things in his pockets, or in his vest!). I've looked in the toy boxes, in the bags (we have lots of random bags), in the book boxes, even in the cupboards in case the children have posted them through the doors.The pegs have ALL got to be in this room, so where's the missing one?

This happens all the time. I come to tidy up & find something missing, although I know it must be somewhere in the room. It drives me mad! DH says I have OCD, but I say i just like everything to be back in it's place! These things do tend to turn up eventually, though I am still looking for a Happyland fairy and a dinosaur book that have vanished without trace :rolleyes:

dette
12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
mine always end up inside my little kitchen,these kids will cook anything !!!!

AgentTink
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I have OCD when it comes to tidying up toys....i cant settle until i find every piece i have been known to be stir crazy for a week when searching out a missing toy.

My little ones are like Dette, they normally end up in toy kitchen although lately I have one little fella who likes to drop everything in small spaces such as behind radiators, small cracks by cupboards and in shoes.

It doesnt matter how much you watch he still manages to move something away from play area without me realising.

I lost half of a wooden egg over 18 months ago, and i still search for it whenever i think about....:rolleyes:...it doesnt help that i have kept the other half incase it ever turns up :rolleyes:

Tulip
12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Do the borrower's live at your house as well, you know the little people under the floorboards! :)

samb
12-11-2013, 12:14 PM
It's amazing isn't it?! I have also lost half an egg but mine was one of those tomy sorting ones... Maybe our halves have met up lol!

ja-lula-belli
12-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Oh this drives my crazy! Lol I have a puzzle with one piece missing and a hammering shapes toy with one shape missing. I want to throw them as at but I know my luck I'll find them when they are gone! My los can loose this almost instantly but most of the time you can find them when tidying up, pulling out the sofas and what jot but sometimes they just vanish!

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

dawn100
12-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm sure the toys are like those in toy story and come to life and have adventures especially happy land in my house!

ziggy
12-11-2013, 12:39 PM
we lost a princess and a fireman weeks ago, they never have turned up so we can only presume they have eloped:laughing:

hectors house
12-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I got really cross with the mindees in the summer when I bought a new bat and ball set - I expected to loose one of the balls - but oh no they lost a bat within a couple of hours - I made them all help me search high and low - even in the flower beds - about a month later I got out the pop up tent and found the bat inside it, whoops I blamed the mindees but I must have folded the tent up with the bat inside (same colour as the floor)!

clairer
12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
The same goes for school bags and cardigans awol in one room!

Cinnamon Sugar
12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
we lost a princess and a fireman weeks ago, they never have turned up so we can only presume they have eloped:laughing:

This made me smile :-)

SYLVIA
12-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I have OCD when it comes to tidying up toys....i cant settle until i find every piece i have been known to be stir crazy for a week when searching out a missing toy.

My little ones are like Dette, they normally end up in toy kitchen although lately I have one little fella who likes to drop everything in small spaces such as behind radiators, small cracks by cupboards and in shoes.

It doesnt matter how much you watch he still manages to move something away from play area without me realising.

I lost half of a wooden egg over 18 months ago, and i still search for it whenever i think about....:rolleyes:...it doesnt help that i have kept the other half incase it ever turns up :rolleyes:

I must admit that I'm a bit like this with sets of toys. Tonight I've been searching for a number 6 piece of my wooden counting tower and half an egg. I lost the "R" from an insert tray and it was gone for well over a year. One night a mindee handed me an old purse from the pretend play box and in side was the piece of puzzle. I now I have searched that purse so many time, don't know how it got in there or where it came from. I slept well that night!

babs
12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
i find this happens but this week realised I have thief the cat picks toys up and carries them off. I don't go upstairs during the day but sunday found 2 figures, a threading lace, and a cotton reel under my bed asked hubby of he was playing tricks on me then Monday caught the cat red hand going over stair gate with a plastic tree.

angeldelight
12-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like our house

I found some bricks behind the radiotor ... have no idea how they got there because the sofa is pushed up by it so no one can even get close

Our bucket of bricks started off full now it is half empty I have no idea where they all went

Angel xx

Glitter
12-11-2013, 09:20 PM
All the red and black felt tip pens disappear in our house.
None of the other colours get lost, only the red and black ones- where do they go!

Mouse
12-11-2013, 09:30 PM
:update:

We found the missing peg!

It was inside the toy rabbit hutch, which I'd looked in at least half a dozen times :laughing:

cathtee
12-11-2013, 10:21 PM
:update:

We found the missing peg!

It was inside the toy rabbit hutch, which I'd looked in at least half a dozen times :laughing:

:phew:

hate loosing things especially when in one room

ja-lula-belli
13-11-2013, 07:46 AM
i find this happens but this week realised I have thief the cat picks toys up and carries them off. I don't go upstairs during the day but sunday found 2 figures, a threading lace, and a cotton reel under my bed asked hubby of he was playing tricks on me then Monday caught the cat red hand going over stair gate with a plastic tree.

Lol that's amazing!!

ja-lula-belli
13-11-2013, 07:48 AM

Hehe!

funemnx
13-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Now, if you can just find my missing bean bag froma set of 12 that would be great :D

Oh and also 1/2 my K'nex is missing and 5 dvd' without their cases which might have gone home in a school bag......:rolleyes:

Maza
13-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I usually find things in the handbags in the dressing up box.

lisa1968
13-11-2013, 11:30 AM
i have a wooden number peg jigsaw ......number 3,4,7 and 8 are missing.....could be anywhere......although I've looked in every box....if I throw it away you can guarantee I''ll find the missing ones...:panic:

hectors house
13-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I went to visit another childminder and saw that she had taken the big foam numbers out of the jigsaw mat same as I have in my garden and had glued them with a glue gun to garden fence - what a fantastic idea, I thought, I could do that - went home and found my mat - oh no the number 7 outside piece is there but the number 7 itself has vanished! :panic:

Cinnamon Sugar
14-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I went to visit another childminder and saw that she had taken the big foam numbers out of the jigsaw mat same as I have in my garden and had glued them with a glue gun to garden fence - what a fantastic idea, I thought, I could do that - went home and found my mat - oh no the number 7 outside piece is there but the number 7 itself has vanished! :panic:

It's probably been eaten ha ha...mine can't resist biting mine, so much so that I refuse to replace the last set I bought, good idea glueing them to the fence though :-)

smurfette
14-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Decided to sell a train set yest as no one was playing with it and it was taking up space ., had an offer on it, put it all together and foolishly left it where little ones could reach it.. And guess what? Piece missing now! Meant to be posting it today and have turned place upside down looking for it!! Where HAS it gone?!!