PDA

View Full Version : sharing activities

Mrsh3103
12-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have any good sharing activities they use? I've got a 2yo mindee who has a breakdown if someone just looks at a toy they played with 3 weeks ago! When he says 'mine' I always say 'no, its mine and I'm sharing with you!' Even things like having a cough can send him into meltdown. He has a cold and a cough and so do I. He was coughing away and I said 'oh dear, you've got a cough just like me' that sent him into a tantrum because the cough is 'mine'.

I play all sorts of games to try and reinforce sharing and taking turns. We play things like rolling the ball, taking turns to go through the tunnel, taking turns to press the button on the spinner etc. If it's not his turn he sits and screams until it is.
This morning we were taking turns to wind up the jack in the box. Mindee 2.5 took a turn, He took a turn, I took a turn (he screamed) ds took a turn- he snatched it from him, chucked it at the floor and screamed over and over 'mine mine mine mine'. I got this toy out but because he had touched it, it was his and noone else could play with it.
I removed him from the circle and said 'we share and take turns'. He sat in the corner of the roon for 25mins screaming. Proper ear piercing top of his voice screams.
This happens atleast once a day at the moment.
Any ideas??? Please????

Tulip
12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh dear, poor you. It sounds like you are doing all the sharing activities you can with him.
I suppose it's just a stage he's going through, 2 is still young to understand sharing.
You could try really praising another child who shares something with the 2 year old giving the sharer a sticker making a big fuss of them in front of your 2 year non sharer
Hope it gets better for you x

sarah707
12-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I think you are doing all the right things! Keep plugging on and make sure parents are reinforcing it at home.

Hugs xx

littlemiss60561
12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Have you read the toddler law?google.its very true! And may bring a smile during times of need. It's Hard isn't it. I have 2 like that on one day... Stressfull! Sounds like your doing fine. I had to find an alternative to the word no . This was a meltdown trigger even if I replied no thankyou if oh offered me a cuppa! I now have mine chanting " share" and " turn" at each other which I think is a step in the right direction! Deep breaths x

sing-low
12-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I did a fab course recently entitled 'Terrific Twos' and they pointed out that to a toddler when we say 'sharing', that means 'you take it away from me'. From their (developmentally normal) ego-centric point of view, sharing is bad.

I agree with others, sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep going!