PDA

View Full Version : Medicine - A bit miffed really!

cbshoat
12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Ive just had a mindee deropped off and dad has said she's full of cold again and has been very grumpy. She looks terrible to be honest but as its only a cold I figure we will see how we get on. 20 mins after dad leaves I receive a text from mum to say just so you know she's not well and has a cough so will probably need medicine today! Hasn't sent any in so is clearly expecting me to have a never ending supply! I know we are allowed to administer emergency medication if needed but I'm miffed that she knew she would need it and didn't send any of her own :mad:

doris127
12-11-2013, 08:28 AM
In Scotland our guidance is that we shouldn't be administering anything really and I shouldn't be keeping a supply of my own. I was told that if they wanted they could supply me with a named bottle in original packaging to keep for use in an emergency. Its to cover you in case they have a reaction to your brand of calpol or whatever. I would be phoning her saying "no problem - you can sign the medication forms when you drop off the medicine."

cbshoat
12-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I have to say I am concerned as it is a big responsibility to be left to decide what to give her. I think I may well reply and say just checked and she hasnt put any in the bag!

loocyloo
12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I have a few sachets or a bottle for each mindee provided by the parents, named for child and signed by parents on a sticky label STUCK to medicine.

I also will only give in an emergency, usually whilst waiting for parents to collect! I generally feel, that if a child needs medicine to get through the day, then they are not truly well enough to be with me.

my children are older, so I only have 6+ medicine, and tell parents this, but also tell them that I can not use my medicine for their children.

good luck x

cbshoat
12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
OK so this is niggling me too much, it feels wrong. I have sent mum a message to say I have checked but no medicine in bag and we cannot administer our own medication as it must come from parent with dosage and be signed in. Right decision do you think?

hectors house
12-11-2013, 09:10 AM
OK so this is niggling me too much, it feels wrong. I have sent mum a message to say I have checked but no medicine in bag and we cannot administer our own medication as it must come from parent with dosage and be signed in. Right decision do you think?

Yes I agree - the father should have handed over medicine with child this morning, told you when they last had a dose, agreed the time of next dose and signed your medicines form - I don't think Ofsted will let you administer your own supply of Calpol or whatever you have.

AliceK
12-11-2013, 09:24 AM
I very often have mindees dropped off with words to the effect of He/She is full of cold and might need medicine. He/She had a bad night, think it might be teething they might need some medicine. I Always ask, what time did they have their last dose. That's it. I tell parent I'll see how they go. 9 times out of 10 they never need any during the day when they are with me, their minds are busy playing. But if they did I really don't have a problem with giving them some Calpol. At that point I'll write out a medicine form and get the parent to sign when they collect. I always have Calpol in the house anyway and I know when I've got a bad cold I'll dose myself up to get through the day and make me feel better so why should a child be any different. They might be poorly but not poorly enough to need to go home just sometimes need a bit of help. As I say usually they are fine without it but if not I'll happily give it. Just part of the flexibility of using a childminder IMO. Ofsted never mentioned anything during my inspection and she read my medicine policy and saw my copies of medicine records.

xxxx

cbshoat
12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
On reflection I decided to go with other early years settings such as nurseries etc. They will administer medication throughout the day if/when needed but you wouldn't expect them to be giving children their own supply of various medicines so I think this is what I'll stick too. If she has a reaction to anything I've got, it'll be on my head!

dawn100
12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I will only administer medicine that has been provided by parents, parents leave a bottle or sachets in bag for emergency, don't like to give calpol for a cold - I'll happily give it for teething but calpol can mask symptoms like a high temp etc so if a child needs calpol to get through the day due to cold I send them home.

emma04
12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't administer medicine unless it is prescribed by a doctor! And is labelled properly.

I got fed up of nursing other people's sick children and more importantly looking at poor unwell faces that clearly displayed a need to be at home with a parent.
It's teeth, it's a cold, it's a cough.......I couldn't give a monkeys what it is, if they feel/look rough enough to need medicine then they should be at home.

Calpol or such like should only be given as a last resort in relation to teething otherwise, as with my own children, they'd have been downing it daily for 9 months!

I don't like to see a child suffer anymore than the next person, but it's the job of the parent to be there and to nurse them not me.

Tulip
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Statutory framework for EYFS 3.44
Medicine (both prescription and non prescription) must only be administered to a child where written permission for that particular medicine has bee obtained from the child's parent/care etc etc
I think I would send child home if ill and parent not bought medicine in for them and given written permission

bunnyjess
12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
In Scotland our guidance is that we shouldn't be administering anything really and I shouldn't be keeping a supply of my own. I was told that if they wanted they could supply me with a named bottle in original packaging to keep for use in an emergency. Its to cover you in case they have a reaction to your brand of calpol or whatever. I would be phoning her saying "no problem - you can sign the medication forms when you drop off the medicine."

I live in England and was told this too

clairer
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I would send the child home ill too. What a cheek. Surely if they are ill enough to need medicine they should be at home and not spreading germs in your setting. We are not nurses!

AliceK
12-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's acceptable then :blush:

xxx

Rubybubbles
12-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't administer medicine unless it is prescribed by a doctor! And is labelled properly. I got fed up of nursing other people's sick children and more importantly looking at poor unwell faces that clearly displayed a need to be at home with a parent. It's teeth, it's a cold, it's a cough.......I couldn't give a monkeys what it is, if they feel/look rough enough to need medicine then they should be at home. Calpol or such like should only be given as a last resort in relation to teething otherwise, as with my own children, they'd have been downing it daily for 9 months! I don't like to see a child suffer anymore than the next person, but it's the job of the parent to be there and to nurse them not me.

I agree!

I have turned people away at the door as they said lo had rough night and had meds this am. No thank you!! As it was they ended up off for the whole week really I'll.

smurfette
12-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's acceptable then :blush: xxx

I agree with you! I think parents would never work if we turned them away at every cold and cough and teething,, I think I would lose all my business if I did! That said I do administer calpol, but if I feel they are unwell enough I would expect child to be collected. It's a tough one!

OP hope it got sorted!

cbshoat
12-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving a bit of calpol during the day if just a cold but I'm not happy to supply it and I don't think Ofsted would be if I was either!

Shamai
12-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I will only administer one dose of Calpol, if they need it four hourly they are not well enough to attend my setting. All parents provide me with a bottle/sachet for their child with their name on it x

AliceK
12-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving a bit of calpol during the day if just a cold but I'm not happy to supply it and I don't think Ofsted would be if I was either!

I will supply it if parents don't bring any which they usually don't. I record the Lot Number and Expiry Date of the bottle on the medicine forms. Like I said most of the time they don't need it and I'll only give it if I feel a child really needs it. Ofsted saw all this recorded and didn't say anything about it.

xxxx

emma04
12-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I agree with you! I think parents would never work if we turned them away at every cold and cough and teething,, I think I would lose all my business if I did! That said I do administer calpol, but if I feel they are unwell enough I would expect child to be collected. It's a tough one! OP hope it got sorted!

I don't turn anyone away who has a cough or a cold or who's teething either, I agree Murphf I'd be skint too!
I just won't give Calpol, the only time a child needs Calpol for these ailments is when they are running a fever or are clearly finding daily routine difficult. In both of these cases, the child should be at home anyway...in my opinion.

Too many parents were dosing up their children and expecting me to continue throughout the day. I quote one parent:
"X has had a terrible night with his cold and is very grumpy and rough this morning, we gave him Calpol at 7.30am so if you give him some more in 4 hrs, it'll keep him going until his nap, after which, give him neurofen and that'll last him until 5! I'll fetch him early" (parent normally collects at 5.30!)

Go jump.... and don't for get to check his birth certificate, as I think you'll find he belongs to you not me!!!

smurfette
12-11-2013, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE="emma04;1319608"] I don't turn anyone away who has a cough or a cold or who's teething either, I agree Murphf I'd be skint too! I just won't give Calpol, the only time a child needs Calpol for these ailments is when they are running a fever or are clearly finding daily routine difficult. In both of these cases, the child should be at home anyway...in my opinion. Too many parents were dosing up their children and expecting me to continue throughout the day. I quote one parent: "X has had a terrible night with his cold and is very grumpy and rough this morning, we gave him Calpol at 7.30am so if you give him some more in 4 hrs, it'll keep him going until his nap, after which, give him neurofen and that'll last him until 5! I'll fetch him early" (parent normally collects at 5.30!) Go jump.... and don't for get to check his birth certificate, as I think you'll find he belongs to you not me!!![/QUOTE

That's over the top alright.. I would prob let child in but call to collect later! I suppose like pp said I take Panadol if I feel under the weather .. And old can't tell us they feel rough but we can see! It's all about a balance isn't it? And sometimes that means case by case basis!

yummyripples
12-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I very often have mindees dropped off with words to the effect of He/She is full of cold and might need medicine. He/She had a bad night, think it might be teething they might need some medicine. I Always ask, what time did they have their last dose. That's it. I tell parent I'll see how they go. 9 times out of 10 they never need any during the day when they are with me, their minds are busy playing. But if they did I really don't have a problem with giving them some Calpol. At that point I'll write out a medicine form and get the parent to sign when they collect. I always have Calpol in the house anyway and I know when I've got a bad cold I'll dose myself up to get through the day and make me feel better so why should a child be any different. They might be poorly but not poorly enough to need to go home just sometimes need a bit of help. As I say usually they are fine without it but if not I'll happily give it. Just part of the flexibility of using a childminder IMO. Ofsted never mentioned anything during my inspection and she read my medicine policy and saw my copies of medicine records.

xxxx

I love this post. It is child centred, putting the childs needs above everything else. It may be slightly against ofsted recommendations but it is all about being a home from home.
Well done

MessybutHappy
13-11-2013, 06:35 AM
I love this post. It is child centred, putting the childs needs above everything else. It may be slightly against ofsted recommendations but it is all about being a home from home.
Well done

This is my line too. I also look at who else I've got coming, what we've planned for the day and how much support the unwell child will need. I've taken children who really need to be with a parent, on days when I've no others around, because actually I am a kind of a parent! I know the child well, they feel at home with me, if I can give them what they need, then why not. I've always been clear though, I won't have a child if in attending to their illness means anothers day is overly compromised. It's tricky, but parents have so far understood!

Bluebell
13-11-2013, 08:25 AM
its the parents that don't say anything - just drop off their seemingly fine child and then I feel worried and awful for phoning them 2/3 hours later saying they seem really unwell and I'm really worried about them and they say oh yes awful night, they were dosed up with calpol this morning! No wonder then - medicine has worn off and they are too poorly to be here!
Only happened once or twice but very annoying - I would never send my child without mentioning to teacher that they seemed a bit under the weather. My 8 year old is feeling a bit coldy and said he had a head ache this morning so he has had calpol. He never asks for it so have given but I will still tell his teacher so he can come straight home again if needed!

MessybutHappy
13-11-2013, 01:08 PM
its the parents that don't say anything - just drop off their seemingly fine child and then I feel worried and awful for phoning them 2/3 hours later saying they seem really unwell and I'm really worried about them and they say oh yes awful night, they were dosed up with calpol this morning! No wonder then - medicine has worn off and they are too poorly to be here!
Only happened once or twice but very annoying - I would never send my child without mentioning to teacher that they seemed a bit under the weather. My 8 year old is feeling a bit coldy and said he had a head ache this morning so he has had calpol. He never asks for it so have given but I will still tell his teacher so he can come straight home again if needed!

Wow! Thankfully this has yet to happen to me, I guess all you can do is remind them of your policy about informing you of any illness? So naughty, though I do understand it can feel easier to be called away from work rather than not turn up at all, I too would dose mine up, hand them over and say call me if needed, 99% of the time the child was fine all day! I think work stopped me when I said I may not make it through the day!!!

dawn100
13-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't have a blanket rule of no calpol but am only happy to give it to a child who is teething (some children seem to suffer more than others with teething) and there are certain other circumstances that I would give calpol for eg broken bones or injuries that have required stiches (if I had to keep my own kids home from school until they no longer needed pain relief they would of missed alot more school) and there may be other things I would but I am not happy to give due to illness like a high temp as children can go down hill so quickly and it can mask symptoms and I don't see it as my responsibility to be left with the decision whether they need to see a doctor or not. I happily take kids with coughs and colds otherwise I would close for the winter but if they aren't well enough without medicine to join in with the normal routine then they should be at home IMO.

yummyripples
13-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I had a mum who wanted me to keep her child topped up with alternative calpol and ibuprofen on a regular basis due to ear infections. I didn't feel I could as it was almost weekly at one point. Ho w would anyone have dealt with this?

dawn100
13-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Yummyripples I wouldn't keep a child topped up on pain relief medicine for reoccurring ear infections, I would expect mum to make an appointment with the doctor and only give pain relief medicine if prescribed by the doctor.

MessybutHappy
13-11-2013, 11:01 PM
I had a mum who wanted me to keep her child topped up with alternative calpol and ibuprofen on a regular basis due to ear infections. I didn't feel I could as it was almost weekly at one point. Ho w would anyone have dealt with this?

If the dr had ok'd it I would! Perceived wisdom at the moment appears to be that a child must suffer repeat ear infections over a long time before anything is actually done about it! If the child were kept away each and every time, some children would never be in their setting! That said, I would also suggest Mum look into herbal remedies - many ENT problems can be relieved amazingly with herbal stuff imo!!!

yummyripples
13-11-2013, 11:16 PM
If the dr had ok'd it I would! Perceived wisdom at the moment appears to be that a child must suffer repeat ear infections over a long time before anything is actually done about it! If the child were kept away each and every time, some children would never be in their setting! That said, I would also suggest Mum look into herbal remedies - many ENT problems can be relieved amazingly with herbal stuff imo!!!

But if you only have the mums word that the dr had okay ed it would you still give? Overuse of paracetamol can damage a childs liver/kidneys and I felt she gave it willy nilly. If the child was crying and she couldn't work out why she would reach for the calpol.
I never asked her to keep him away but I was worried about overuse

yummyripples
13-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Also my kids have all had ear infections on a regular basis but I didn't need pain relief after 48 hours at the most

MessybutHappy
14-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I think you're right, it would only be for a couple of days, then you see improvement, I guess we have to trust parents unless there's clear evidence to the contrary, at which point I'd feel the need to have one of those chats!

smurfette
14-11-2013, 08:10 AM
If a mum says to me keep dosed up I would .. But within my own decision ., for example if a little one has been unwell with teething while with me for the last couple of days.. But if they seemed fine I wouldn't give it unless I felt they needed it. Up to mum if she does on her own time I think.. I would just say , she / he was grand so didn't think needed anything / only needed x