PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted calling! All advice appreciated!

gcragg
11-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Thank you for your time! All help really appreciated! I'll try to bullet point to avoid waffle.

I have childminded for just over 4months and Ofsted is due any day after the call from tribal inspections.

Planning
• I have planned weekly a variety of activities- soft play, trips, playground, shops, park, etc
•I created weekly themes
• I made weekly documents to show how I've linked the seven areas of learning to each topic eg: understanding the world-trip to zoo. Singing daddy taking us to the zoo tomorrow etc.
• I have feedback from parents most weeks as how they can input into ideas resources from home etc

Obs:
• I have completed weekly observations which have been signed
• regular photo evidence through the day
• detailed diary entries

I am now very nervous after a meeting with a development officer from the borough who has greatly challenged me on doing weekly topics. As the children are 19months I have now been told that this type of planning is not focused on the children's unique needs enough and not inclusive of next steps -so now I feel all my hard work is in vain.

Will I be heavily criticised for this? The feedback I received was of course very valuable but I'm wondering how I managed to miss this so much! The weekly themes have got me really got me thinking every week about how to be creative, imaginative and keep things fresh- big sob!!

I've planned differently this week post it-ing that I have decided to change planning so it is more led on next steps.
Agggh!

Can I still get a good or outstanding? Does anyone else plan in this weekly way for 19month olds?

Thanks for your time

benandjerrys
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm new too and am die ofsted anytime. I think you are complicating things too much. I do individual planning for each half term which is roughly 6 weeks . For a baby it could just be one thing for each of the prime areas eg physical development - provide space and opportunities for crawling, very simple

gcragg
12-11-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm new too and am die ofsted anytime. I think you are complicating things too much. I do individual planning for each half term which is roughly 6 weeks . For a baby it could just be one thing for each of the prime areas eg physical development - provide space and opportunities for crawling, very simple

Thanks for your thoughts

FussyElmo
12-11-2013, 07:56 AM
As your development officer says your planning for this age group should be following their interests. So child a wants to paint you do poppy pictures because of remembrance day.

Mum brings child b who visited the farm at the weekend and says he really enjoyed it. So you get the farm animals out and sing old McDonald.

You have a child who wants to play with cars but you enhance his learning by letting them put the cars in paint and sand.

Put the child at the centre of your planning :)

When this stop you getting a good grade - no its called reflection. You have realised with input from you d that your planning was not child centred so now you are changing it :thumbsup: That makes a good cm :D

gcragg
12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
As your development officer says your planning for this age group should be following their interests. So child a wants to paint you do poppy pictures because of remembrance day. Mum brings child b who visited the farm at the weekend and says he really enjoyed it. So you get the farm animals out and sing old McDonald. You have a child who wants to play with cars but you enhance his learning by letting them put the cars in paint and sand. Put the child at the centre of your planning :) When this stop you getting a good grade - no its called reflection. You have realised with input from you d that your planning was not child centred so now you are changing it :thumbsup: That makes a good cm :D

Thanks for your message, I've been panicking that I've really let myself down!
Best wishes

Tulip
12-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Good luck with your inspection :thumbsup:

hectors house
12-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Good luck with your inspection - use the children's next steps from observations to plan activities and depending on their ages- use Seasons, Christmas etc towards Knowledge and Understanding of the World - although I did read once in Nursery World Magazine saying "2 year olds don't do Autumn but they do love kicking piles of leaves". I know some one who just got Outstanding last month who does NO written planning at all. I agree with FussyElmo's comments - just go with the childrens interests and be prepared to argue with Ofsted inspector if necessary about what you are doing and why.

gcragg
12-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Good luck with your inspection - use the children's next steps from observations to plan activities and depending on their ages- use Seasons, Christmas etc towards Knowledge and Understanding of the World - although I did read once in Nursery World Magazine saying "2 year olds don't do Autumn but they do love kicking piles of leaves". I know some one who just got Outstanding last month who does NO written planning at all. I agree with FussyElmo's comments - just go with the childrens interests and be prepared to argue with Ofsted inspector if necessary about what you are doing and why.

I'm really grateful for your support, thank you!