PDA

View Full Version : one of those parents who we just love working for.... not

Ben10mad
11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Need some advise please. I started to care for two children, siblings age 3 & 2. They come from a another childminder asmom said seh wasnr happy how ever after taking them on she mentioned that the other childminder terminated the contract.
The parent works in a sure start and to be honest she critised the childrens learning journal and said that the obs do not link to anything... well I had my early years officer round to day and askes her to see if she was right..... she said there absolutely fine they link to every thing correctly but she also recgonised the children from pictures in the folder and she said shes met these children at there old childminder and I know the parent is a problem and she terminated the contact be cause of mom.
I no this childminder by face can I ask her a few questions about mom as I think im heading for trouble.
Thanks

loocyloo
11-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I would ask mum if you could contact the old childminder to have a quick chat about the children to ease the transistion between carers/you want to ask her what their favourite activities were/something?!

however, if you were to be out & about, and bump into the old childminder, you could say you were sorry to hear that the children had left her, and were now with you, and tell her how they have settled etc. if she wants to tell you anything, maybe she will, if she decides not to, you can't really push it.

some parents are problem parents from the word go in and in all ways. other parents just don't click with a particular minder and are fine with others.

good luck

xxx

Jenna
11-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I had a similar situation I had a mum phone late one Friday night saying how after a few things mum had decided to pull lo out of nursery and how soon would they be able to come for a visit. They came on the Monday then with a few half days started 4 days a week the following week. This mum turned into a bit of a pain ringing all hours of the day and night when not calling she'd be texting me. I got the feeling she thought I worked for her and after numerous letters home and meetings I gave notice. However whilst the child was here I had a CSSIW inspection my inspector recognised the child and informed me that it had been nursery who had given mum notice for the same reasons as I did not being able to meet the parents needs. When child finally left it felt like I'd got my life back and have been mush happier since. As much as I love my job I do enjoy spending my evenings and weekends with my family and not worrying what this parent wants now every time the phone went.

yummyripples
11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I had a similar situation I had a mum phone late one Friday night saying how after a few things mum had decided to pull lo out of nursery and how soon would they be able to come for a visit. They came on the Monday then with a few half days started 4 days a week the following week. This mum turned into a bit of a pain ringing all hours of the day and night when not calling she'd be texting me. I got the feeling she thought I worked for her and after numerous letters home and meetings I gave notice. However whilst the child was here I had a CSSIW inspection my inspector recognised the child and informed me that it had been nursery who had given mum notice for the same reasons as I did not being able to meet the parents needs. When child finally left it felt like I'd got my life back and have been mush happier since. As much as I love my job I do enjoy spending my evenings and weekends with my family and not worrying what this parent wants now every time the phone went.
Wasn't that a breach of confidentiality from the CSSIW officer?

yummyripples
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Need some advise please. I started to care for two children, siblings age 3 & 2. They come from a another childminder asmom said seh wasnr happy how ever after taking them on she mentioned that the other childminder terminated the contract.
The parent works in a sure start and to be honest she critised the childrens learning journal and said that the obs do not link to anything... well I had my early years officer round to day and askes her to see if she was right..... she said there absolutely fine they link to every thing correctly but she also recgonised the children from pictures in the folder and she said shes met these children at there old childminder and I know the parent is a problem and she terminated the contact be cause of mom.
I no this childminder by face can I ask her a few questions about mom as I think im heading for trouble.
Thanks

I would say forget all about the fact that the children have been to another childminder. Do not talk to the other childminder and don't listen to mum when she talks about the other childminder.
Take it all how you find it and deal with things as you usually would

yummyripples
11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Just to say as well that I have recently had a nightmare mum leave me but I would never discuss it with the new minder.
I am sure I have been called to high heaven but as long as the parents I have now are happy thats all that counts.

blue bear
11-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I took on a family which had been given notice by a childminder basically because mum was pia. To be honest the mum turned out to be one of my best customers and I was so sad when they left. Think sometimes it's just that some people gel better than others, best to make your own mind up.

dawn100
12-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I think one thing you do have to remember is we are all different and sometimes it can just be a personality clash. There is a childminder I would never send my kids to (if I were using a cm) but that is because her style of childcare does not fit with my parenting style but I know many parents get on really well with her. I don't think you can discuss with old cm as its a breach of confidentiality.

clairer
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
I was going to say the same as yummy ripples. Just take down any background info from mum and any learning journals provided. If you spoke to the other child minder you could come across as a gossip and break confidentiality.