PDA

View Full Version : Swallowed coin!

emma04
10-11-2013, 08:51 AM
My dd3 has just swallowed a coin. She's fine after a nano second of choking and is now singing and bouncing on the bed!
Would you hot foot to A&E or just observe and keep an eye on poo? In not a panicker so find these decisions hard to make!

KatieFS
10-11-2013, 09:03 AM
My 5 to swallowed a pound coin recently. Very frightening experience of her coughing choking for a few mins. She appeared to swallow but said she could still feel it in her throat and didn't seem ok
I took to a and e as was worried about the coin flipping if was in her throat and her choking again
Got to a and e waiting and then she was sick and up came the coin
Was slightly appalled no one really came to help her and doctor kind of walked passed me as she was hurling. I had to ask for help.
Anyway she is fine. I wish I'd have called an ambulance now as could have easily have dislodged and she could have choked but hey ho so glad she is ok and I will learn from this experience

I would take her to a and e if only to X-ray to see where coin in. She might need help to pass it. If she is playing then its gone down I assume

Prepare yourself for long wait at a and e
Hope she is ok good luck x

KatieFS
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
5 year old !

Koala
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
OMG my son did the same.

I took him to A & E, he was xrayed (to check it wasn't lodged somewhere) and all was well I was advised it will pass!! :D They didn't seem too bothered about coins they were more concerned about things like batteries etc... because of the acid that can leek.

I think just to reassure yourself a trip to A&E might be a good idea or ring the NHS helpline first, otherwise you may not sleep tonight. :thumbsup:

blue bear
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
My ds swallowed a 20p don't know where I got it from but I had it in my head he should drink milk, took him to a and e the milk had pushed it down out of danger and passed naturally.
Doc said they like you to get it x rayed to check its not lodged in the airway because if it flicks over it can. It the air way off.

emma04
10-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Well, I've not been to A and E not sure I can face it on a Sunday! Full of muddy footballers and folk with hangovers! She's eaten her breakfast with no ill effects and is fighting with her sister as per usual!! Will keep an eye on her. We think it was 10p she swallowed, not sure how she managed it, she's very tiny (for an almost 3yr old)!

Tealady
10-11-2013, 12:29 PM
There was a similar story on Operation Ouch on CBBC. A girl swallowed a hair clip.

They used a metal detector to determine where it was. It was in her lower abdomen so they x-rayed her to check it wasn't stuck and blocking the small intestine. Fortunately it had gone through and was in the large intestine so nature would be able to take it's course without further problem.

I would take her to A&E get her checked out as soon as you can.

loocyloo
10-11-2013, 01:24 PM
ooooo, goodness.

hugs to everyone. I would be taking a trip to a & e for a an xray to check everything was ok.

xxx

emma04
10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Apparently they don't X-ray very often to search for coins because they have a smooth edges and rarely cause damage and according to a friend, they just send you home on "poop watch!"
I'm going to my mums later, will ask her opinion too, but dd continues to leap about and has eaten her roast dinner!

Bluebell
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
glad all is well. have fun on 'poop watch' euggh!

Koala
10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Apparently they don't X-ray very often to search for coins because they have a smooth edges and rarely cause damage and according to a friend, they just send you home on "poop watch!"
I'm going to my mums later, will ask her opinion too, but dd continues to leap about and has eaten her roast dinner!

'poop watch' :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: lucky you.

clairer
10-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I would go to a and e yes just as a precaution that it's not wedged somewhere.

bunyip
10-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes, get A&E to check it out.

I had a mindee do this the other week - fortunately not here, but mum said he'd done it at home. They took him to A&E who X-rayed to check it was in his digestive system and not in the airway.

Took about 20 minutes on the potty to pass it, and this was uncomfortable but did no damage.

Being the consumate 'professional' :rolleyes: that I am, I donned the Marigolds, picked the 1p out of the steaming poo, washed it, Dettolled it, bagged it and gave it to mum. She was a bit taken aback, but I explained I had a professional duty to return all the child's belongings at the end of the day. :D

MessybutHappy
10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Yes, get A&E to check it out.

I had a mindee do this the other week - fortunately not here, but mum said he'd done it at home. They took him to A&E who X-rayed to check it was in his digestive system and not in the airway.

Took about 20 minutes on the potty to pass it, and this was uncomfortable but did no damage.

Being the consumate 'professional' :rolleyes: that I am, I donned the Marigolds, picked the 1p out of the steaming poo, washed it, Dettolled it, bagged it and gave it to mum. She was a bit taken aback, but I explained I had a professional duty to return all the child's belongings at the end of the day. :D

Could you not have just have taken 1p off the next invoice?!!

Koala
10-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Could you not have just have taken 1p off the next invoice?!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Like it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

KatieFS
10-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Wow retrieving 1p that was professional

emma04
11-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes, get A&E to check it out. I had a mindee do this the other week - fortunately not here, but mum said he'd done it at home. They took him to A&E who X-rayed to check it was in his digestive system and not in the airway. Took about 20 minutes on the potty to pass it, and this was uncomfortable but did no damage. Being the consumate 'professional' :rolleyes: that I am, I donned the Marigolds, picked the 1p out of the steaming poo, washed it, Dettolled it, bagged it and gave it to mum. She was a bit taken aback, but I explained I had a professional duty to return all the child's belongings at the end of the day. :D

Lol!!...I would fish out the coin and hand it back too. As a parent now in the same situation, I'd want to see it was definitely out.
I'm was thinking of using my old sieve!

bunyip
11-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Lol!!...I would fish out the coin and hand it back too. As a parent now in the same situation, I'd want to see it was definitely out.
I'm was thinking of using my old sieve!

If only my motives had been so altruistic. :blush:

I figured I had 3 options:-

1. Flush the poo and probably end up with the 1p left behind (so I'd have ended up with my hands down the toilet bowl anyway.)
2. Find somewhere else to dispose of the poo (which I didn't really want in the wheelie-bin for a week.)
3. Do what I did.

Btw Messy, I love your suggestion but am a little fearful of the implications. They owed me £10 due to being unable to find a functioning cashpoint and, as a good client, I made an exception and let them bring it over later. If I'd left them owing £9.99 it's just possible I might've been woken at th weekend by the sound of them posting lots of loose coins through the letterbox. :panic:

:p

k1rstie
11-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Bunyip, you do make me laugh!!

But as far as money is concerned, although only 1p, I think you did the correct thing giving it back.

As said batteries are very dangerous, and there have been articles in the press about swallowing magnets and also magnetic tongue studs! Nasty!!

bunyip
11-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Bunyip, you do make me laugh!!

But as far as money is concerned, although only 1p, I think you did the correct thing giving it back.

As said batteries are very dangerous, and there have been articles in the press about swallowing magnets and also magnetic tongue studs! Nasty!!

Oh yes, don't get me started on batteries.

I once had a child arrive with a battery-operated toy and I didn't even think to check it. If I had done so, I'd have found out that the screw-down battery compartment cover was broken and had been stuck down with sticky tape. All too soon, child had the cover off and 3 of those little button-sized batteries (LR44's?) spilled out. Fortunately, I saw this before my erstwhile crawler got to them.

I was so cross with the mum; even crosser and ashamed at myself for failing to check; and hugely relieved that it ended well. :o

The weird thing about the 1p coin was that it had a sort of iridescent multicoloured surface after passing through the lo's guts. I can only imagine that's the powerful effect of stomach acids on metal. :)

bunyip
11-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow retrieving 1p that was professional

Just thought: I've been doing this all wrong.

I should be training them to swallow all the £2 coins from mummy's purse, then giving them syrup of figs at breakfast.

No wonder I'm so hard up. :doh: