PDA

View Full Version : Little Biter!

SYLVIA
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Can I request some help from all you knowledgeable people. I have a new mindee, been with me 2 weeks and from day 1 he has been a biter. I understand he may be teething but this starts as soon as the other mindees or anybody is anywhere near him and he really hurts. He will go up to them on the sofa and bit toes if they are hanging over the edge, goes up to anyone sitting on the floor, or if he is picked up. I am shadowing him and telling him no, removing him or giving him something to hold and put in his mouth but it only takes a split second for his teeth to be in somebody and I'm getting a bit concerned. He is like it at home and parents do the same as me. Not sure if anyone has any tricks to help?

Koala
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Oh dear, what a nightmare, you are doing what you can and really that is all you can do - keep reinforcing good behaviour and challenging the bad and wear steal toe caps!

The only other option is cribox or get a muzzle (only kidding?) :D

Hang in there I am sure it will pass, maybe before he attempts any biting - re iterate rules (not sure how old he is to understand) and reiterate even when he isn't biting, like toilet training, every 30 mins/hour or so just remind everyone NO BITING (make a story up - we are all friends and we do not bite - it hurts) whilst making eye contact with him until he gets the message. The last thing you want is sending kids home with no toes. :D

SYLVIA
08-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks, he is only just 1 which doesn't help. We will survive, as you say just keep doing it. I have told the others to be careful and keep telling him no biting and they seem to like helping.

MessybutHappy
08-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Is this a case of mistaken kissing? Sounds odd, but I knew a child who bit everyone, but thought he was kissing, he was taught 'no teeth' and there was lots of over the top 'mwa mwa' type kissing being modelled! It worked surprisingly quickly!

SYLVIA
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Is this a case of mistaken kissing? Sounds odd, but I knew a child who bit everyone, but thought he was kissing, he was taught 'no teeth' and there was lots of over the top 'mwa mwa' type kissing being modelled! It worked surprisingly quickly!

That was my first thought too but he does give kisses. When he gives a kiss he also gives a cuddle. I'm more connecting it to his age and teething, the more I think about it, because he bites the sofas and the table between mouthfuls of food. I will try your suggestions too; it might draw his attention away from the teeth

MessybutHappy
09-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Good luck! It's a tricky one!