PDA

View Full Version : wonderful children?

yummyripples
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Does anyone else find that when parents tell you their children are easy to look after they are usually a nightmare and parents who say tgeir children are hard work are usually absolutely fabulous?

AliceK
06-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh yes I totally agree :thumbsup:

xxx

bunnyjess
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh yes definitely! My best behaved boy who is fabulous is apparently really hard work and vile? I've never once seen it. He's an angel here

clairer
06-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Absolutely... I told a parent last night her daughter was an angel and mum was most shocked, "really no tantrums" she asked! Kids always play up for their mums.

gef918
07-11-2013, 09:10 PM
It applies to my own children too - they can be a nightmare at home, but pre-school and school reports all say that they are little angels!

Koala
07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
OMG - YES!!

dawn100
07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Most definitely! Those parents that say how well behaved their child is I'm always wondering what are they hiding where as parents who tell you how troublesome they can be you know that is the worst case scenario!

Vickster
07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Completely agree!

clareelizabeth1
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Maybe the ones who say they are terrible are getting involved in their childrens life's and teaching them how to behave in society so they do see tantrums and rebellion in their children.

Where as the ones who think the are angels leave their children to get on with it. Give them what they want when they want so don't have problems themselves but society does have problems with them as they have not been taught how to act.

lizduncan72
08-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Maybe the ones who say they are terrible are getting involved in their childrens life's and teaching them how to behave in society so they do see tantrums and rebellion in their children.

Where as the ones who think the are angels leave their children to get on with it. Give them what they want when they want so don't have problems themselves but society does have problems with them as they have not been taught how to act.

So agree with this-I had a wee boy who according to his parents was great, dad boasted about how he never needed to be disciplined, he was an absolute nightmare to be around!! Turned out he was so spoiled at home and got away with whatever he wanted that he was a monster when given boundaries. One example was that he fell asleep on the sofa every night whatever time he felt like it, sometimes as late as 11.30, and then mum carried him up to bed because he didn't like going to bed!!!! He was still doing this at 6!! I had to give notice in the end because I just couldn't cope with his behaviour any more :(

jackie 7
08-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh yes. I have had children who had to be chased to change nappies at home and came to me when called. And then the children who are so well behaved and do everything asked by parents and turn up at mine and are so difficult. Then there are the children who eat everything!!!!! Yes when you feed them rubbish but refuse good food with me.

smurfette
08-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Oh yes. I have had children who had to be chased to change nappies at home and came to me when called. And then the children who are so well behaved and do everything asked by parents and turn up at mine and are so difficult. Then there are the children who eat everything!!!!! Yes when you feed them rubbish but refuse good food with me.

Yep have had a common theme recently of newbies who parents say eat well but don't!!

dawn100
08-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Yes, food is another one! I have a child who will eat anything according to parents and yes if all you fed them was crisps, chocolate and food from a drive thru then yes they would! Where as I have another one who mum said could be a bit picky but eats 95% of the meals I offer with no trouble!

KatieFS
08-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I find this so interesting, parents view of children often so different when they actually get into my setting and routines. Having has previous bad experiences I now am more direct with my questions when settling in and clear with what routines the children need to follow - for example babies and young children will need to be expected to sit in the pushchair during school runs, I will not be able nor is it safe for me to constantly carry a baby around when I am walking to and from school.
It often is around what the parents routines and expectations are of their children.

Bluebell
08-11-2013, 03:10 PM

I agree too and is exactly what I was going to say - parents who give children boundaries are working hard to bring their children up to behave nicely - the ones who get away with everything at home, behave exactly as they like and are never told no can then find it hard to understand what good behaviour should look like!

Its hard then because its hard to say if the behaviour is pointing to an underlying issue or whether it is 100% down to the parents!