PDA

View Full Version : Am I too eager...?

JCrakers
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm really lucky at the moment to be in high demand...crazy parents :laughing:

Its not always been that way and in the past I've been able to be relaxed. If someone asked for Sept then I could say 'yes, that would probably be ok' or 'yes, we'll speak about it nearer the time' but now I'm chock-a-block full and its like a jigsaw piece trying to fit everyone in.
Two mindees are leaving for school in the summer so I know I have two spaces to fill.

I look after a 23m old who's Mum is expecting in about 2 weeks but she hasn't mentioned what baby is doing.
I've also got two mindees who's Mum is on maternity. They stopped coming in July and she's asking if I can heave them back in Sept with baby.

Now, I can fit them all in but 2nd Mum is a teacher and her employer needs to know if she's going back and Mum needs to know what days I have. But 1st Mum hasn't even mentioned what care she wants even though I've asked her.

I've just texted her again to ask what she's doing but cant help feel a bit pushy....she's not even had the baby yet but I need to know what I'm doing.

Do you think its a bit early for Mum to be deciding or am I right in trying to be organised?

hectors house
06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't think it is unreasonable to know what other people's plans are for, I think we all in our heads make all sorts of plans of how we can fit that child in when x happens, or what we will do when x leaves for nursery or school - I bought a booster seat thinking I was taking a child to school (I don't normally do school runs, but offered in this case as the dad was a single dad), however he never actually agreed to me doing this but I thought he would be glad of the help and ended up with a booster seat that I didn't really need! We try to plan a 6-12 months ahead for holidays etc to suit certain parents but unbeknown to us they are planning another child, or to quit their job or move to Spain.

I have one that is 3 next April, I have told the mum I can now do Nursery funding but she still is keeping her plans to herself - so don't know if I am losing one in May and two to school in September or could even be 3 in September (as I don't do school runs, will a new childminder doing school runs pinch the sibling baby)?

sarah707
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I have 2 pregnant mums and both know what they are doing... so far... but I am ready for things to change as they often do.

I am keeping a waiting list just in case - I very much hope I don't have to use it - but it's there because at the end of the day I have to stay sustainable :D

AliceK
06-11-2013, 07:25 PM
It's difficult. I had a schoolie leave me in Sept as mum was going on maternity leave. I haven't filled his space as I am cutting down on schoolies, at the time she didn't mention anything about baby. Another mindee's mum went on maternity at the same time but she left LO with me and has asked about me having baby when she returns to work. Now as things stand right now I wouldn't have space but told her if she is planning on going back next Sept then I will have a LO moving up to school so baby can have that space so she's agreed to that. Another mum has just gone back to work after being on maternity, she too left her LO with me for the duration and baby has recently started. Now original schoolies mum has asked if I can take schoolie and baby on when she goes back to work but now I don't have a space as I will already have 4 EY's children. It's nice to be in demand but a nightmare trying to work out if / when you can take more on especially when they are for current families who you would like to keep.

xxxx

smurfette
06-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I hear you it's the same around here , I call it my noughts and crosses board when I have to get it out to see who fits where! Everyone wants part time silly hours here too

Had your problem in summer had one who
Was due for preschool but mum hasn't bothered looking for anywhere and I was meant to have younger sibling in her place, but couldn't fit her in unless older one left ,, then mum mentioned they mihht move house but didn't know if in the area or down country ., flippin nightmare couldn't get her to decide! All
Came good jn end eventually!

Is the first mum likely to be on mat for a year? She might not even go back I guess and do u want to keep space even if she is but not for so long! Think I would fit mum in who knows what she wants and worry about other later x or explain to her you need to know and why

jackie 7
07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a mum who is due in January I asked her 3 weeks ago and she said he would stay till may. I will have another starting in may and will have to tell another mum who comes 1day a week that she can only come on a Friday. As she is only coming to give a break to look after sibling I am not too concerned.