PDA

View Full Version : behind with scrapbooks

clairer
05-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Yesterday I caught up with my older children's scrap books age 6 and 8 as well as starting two new ones age 4 and 5. I hadn't done anything in the older ones books since Easter! WHoops, too busy doing the younger ones observations and assessments. Just thought I'd share what a relief to catch up!

Had a few problems with printing photos from my new printer and I now have to order the photos off Truprint and wait for them to arrive. ARGH!

julie w
05-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Ive had to book a day off work just to catch up because it was piling up and getting me down so much. I worked so hard and I'm almost up to date with everything now. It feels like a weight has been lifted from me and worth the fees I lost not working.

hectors house
06-11-2013, 07:31 AM
I was really disciplined yesterday, managed to get 3 little ones to sleep and spent an hour catching up on a learning journal - only managed to complete one month but it spurred me on to spend another hour doing some more when the children had gone home. Only 6 more LJ's to catch up on now!

JCrakers
06-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm the same, I have to catch up on a couple...

Ive just taken on a 14m old just 1 day a week and then it dawns on me.........THATS ANOTHER LJ TO SORT OUT !!!

AARRGGHHHH

Cinnamon Sugar
06-11-2013, 08:28 AM
I was really disciplined yesterday, managed to get 3 little ones to sleep and spent an hour catching up on a learning journal - only managed to complete one month but it spurred me on to spend another hour doing some more when the children had gone home. Only 6 more LJ's to catch up on now!

It's never ending isn't it! I'm in the same boat, not very far behind but enough to be feeling unsettled and like I need to pull my finger out! Need to get up to date before all the Christmas excitement starts as there will be very little time for anything then! Aiming to be sorted with 6 LJ's by the end of November.

Bluebell
06-11-2013, 10:34 AM
this used to be me - I used to get months behind and then spend ages printing photos and sticking observations into the scrap book. By the time I caught up again I was behind on the first lot.

Now I use on an online journal and it is so easy - take a photo, add a comment link it to the child and its done! You can then either click to link it to an area of learning or just click 'send to album' so it shows on their profile.

You don't have to worry about sending learning journals home with parents because they can log on and see their childs profile. You can print it off to share with other settings (or if the setting is already a member then it is linked though the parent.)
Sometimes I spend half an hour in the evening just making sure I've included the photos I want and maybe adding an extra comment or linking it to the area but all in all this has been a life saver!

Also because I can see an overview I realised I was seeing the same thing again and again and I realised I needed to improve my planning and as a result I was looking for specific observations rather than repeating myself all the time so that has saved me time too! I would really recomend you look into any kind of online system that you can take a photo on your phone and link it straight away to the child. Not only are there specific EYFS products but there are more general scrapbook ones or early years ones.

The one I use is linked to the EYFS areas of learning and you can also add a characteristic of learning if you notice that too. And its free.
My Ofsted inspector told me I spent too much time on my scrapbooks and while they looked pretty and they were obvioulsy nice for the parents I should spend less time on it and also work more on next steps.

Kerry30
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I do my scrapbooks whilst Lo's are asleep. I can now update one thats roughly 3 months behind in just over an hr. I lay everything out in date order so its quicker. I do send them home every now and again but might have to review that one now, as a parent told me she'd left it outside in rain by accident!?!#! Yet to see the state of it tho.......

loocyloo
06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
my EY books are more or less up to date! everything stuck in and just needs a few lines of writing... not having a camera does seem to limit the obs I do !!! :laughing:

my schoolies have scrapbooks, but its up to them to stick things in/write things and even though I suggest they might, they prefer to run around the garden screaming, read books or draw. I suggested they could put a picture in their scrapbooks ... not interested !!!

gef918
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I hate being behind with learning journeys. Start getting anxious after about 3 weeks - nervous wreck if it gets to 6!

blue bear
07-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I only keep the eyfs children's learning journals upto date the older children do their own.
I give up an hour each Saturday morning, what's not done doesn't get done.

Tinkerbell1979
07-11-2013, 09:46 PM
I had an unexpected two days off this week, one on holiday, one sick so only one after school child from 3.20-5pm.

Finally I've caught up - feels good :-)