PDA

View Full Version : New meal suggestions?

clairer
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
So sick of cooking the same things: tomato and cheese pasta, lasagne, fish fingers, jacket potatoes, shepherds pie, bacon pasta, tuna pasta bake, macaroni cheese.

Need some more quick and easy ideas. No fish pie please takes far too long!

I like to pre-prepare if I can, so anything that can be frozen down is good.

MessybutHappy
05-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Add chopped cooked chicken to brown rice, add some chopped cooked broccoli, a tin of mushroom or chicken soup and some grated cheddar cheese... Mix it all together, freeze in portions, then defrost and bake until properly hot (mine goes in as we head out on the school run!) its very easy and super tasty!

dominiquegait
05-11-2013, 08:12 PM
How's about

Chicken drumsticks (coated in a little seasoning)
Boiled ham (takes ages but easy and goes down well you just live it simmering on the hob)
Wraps - try meatballs with a little tomato pasta sauce
Vegetable rice

For a starter

MrsPixie
05-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Mini beef burgers just roll some mince into balls and flatten then fry or grill for about 10/15 minutes.

Tulip
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Have you got a slow cooker? Great to to throw ingredients in and just let it get on with it :)

MaffAnna
06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I like to prepare too. We have;
chilli,
shepherd's pie,
hotpot,
pasta bake,
cowboy casserole (recipe on netmums, very popular here),
home made soup and little sandwiches (cut up like croutons so even little ones can feed themselves)
jacket potatoes,
braised steak or chicken casserole (admittedly these take a bit longer)
stir fry noodles, chicken, veg are great although not really a do in advance.

Will have a think what else, but they are the favourites at the moment.

clairer
06-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I can do a mean potato and leek soup but not sure the kids will eat it!
Could try it on the older ones maybe.

What's a cowboy whatsit?!

clairer
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
And no, no slow cooker:(:(:(:(

kellyskidz!
06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
My current fave meal is 'Make your own pizza'
I get those bread muffins and cut them in half or pizza bases, and get the kids to spread tomato purée over this then have a load of toppings for them to choose from. Mushrooms, pineapple, peppers, cheese, pepperoni, onions etc
They love it and its healthy and I only have to wash up after ;-)

loocyloo
06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
a current favourite here is 'spicy chicken couscous'

I use left over roast chicken, or you could roast some thighs and cut the meat off, or use chicken breasts ( or actually, any meat! its nice with quorn too! )

not sure of quantities!

prepare some cous cous ( for every 3oz dry couscous, pour over 4fl oz boiling water/veg stock )
... cook some onion, mushroom and chicken in a touch of oil.

stir in a tablespoon or 2 of curry paste ( I use pataks balti paste ) and cook it for a couple of minutes, stirring all the time

stir in the cooked couscous, some flaked ( or ground ) almonds and some chopped up apricots ( raison size pieces! )

sometimes I add a handful of peas or corn.

yum!

pretty quick too!

hectors house
06-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't make fish pie often as it does take a while to make but actually probably no longer that a cottage pie - if you cook twice as much mixture and freeze half of it you would have a quick meal for next time - just defrost add the mashed potato and job done!

bindy
06-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I buy fish in parsley sauce, boil in the bag, add mash potatoes and cheese on top ,bake, takes only 20 minutes! If I have more time, I do from scratch using different cuts of fish!

clairer
17-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes fish in parsley sauce would make a change with some mash and veg thanks x