PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old

Banana
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey all.

Im a bit daunted by doing activities for the 6 month old that starts this week. As she is the youngest I've minded so far.

What things would you suggest? And how do you normally manage your day with a baby being around?

It was good on her settling in session - that was only 3 hours though. I sat her on my lap when I was playing with some games with the toddlers and gave her some toys to play with and she liked all the things I gave her as they had lights and were noisey. We read stories and she liked the books a lot. I also have a baby gym and lots of baby toys, I do need to get a bouncer this week. What do you find yourselfs doing with them when you are busy with other things? Carrying them around all the time isnt practical obviously. Im just worried about not doing enough for her while she is here.

I know they like to see themselves im mirrors and using textures etc to help them learn about touch and feel. I know as a parent what to do with them but as a childminder I want to make sure that I am providing enough stimulation.

any help much appreciated

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

deeb66
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Have you got a treasure basket?

Kids of this age love exploring and just picking things up and putting them down, touching and feeling them and treasure baskets are perfect for this.

There are so many items you can put in there. If I remember rightly there are a few links on the old forum about treasure baskets - if you can't find them give me a shout.

Dee

angeldelight
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Treasure baskets are good like Dee suggested

Also if you look in the old posts at the bottom there is the activitys that I did for babies they are really useful and might give you some ideas

http://childminding.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=eyfs

Angel xx

mel
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I have to say that treasure baskets have gone down a storm with my under ones. They kept them amused far longer than I thought they would. It was really interesting to see which textures they prefered

Mel x

Banana
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks Ladies.

Will check all that out

xxxx

nannan
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
like as been said treasure baskets are great for the under ones, and you can put in them anything that you feel is safe,

loopylu
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Banana,

I have had 2 of my children from 4 months and I know what you mean when it comes to the older children and what do you do with the baby?

You need to make sure you have a safe place to put her, ie a playpen, so that if you need to do something you know that the baby will be safe - especially from getting trodden on by the others!

I also have a 'stand-in' chair (can't think what they are called!!), it looks like a baby walker, but it doesn't move - they just sit or can use their feet to bounce and play with the toys rattles etc that are all around it - oh just remembered its a hop & pop! This way you know they are safe, they can still see you, and you have your hands free for 10 - 15 mins.

The highchair is good for a little period of time - giving them toys so they can sit upright to play with them on the tray.

With regard to what type of toys - like the others said, the treasure baskets are nice with different textures etc. I have another basket too for babies, with soft toys, rattles, basically suitable toys for under 12 mths. And they enjoy 'helping' themselves and usually emptying it all out and putting the basket on their head!

Good luck

fionamal
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
It really depends on what your doing with the other kids.

At messy time I tend to stick them in the high chair at the table with the others so they are a part of what we are doing and give them bits and peices that we are using. Also let them try to paint (not on their own though) with my help. Parents love the idea that their baby was painting a picture for them.

If doing jigsaws or puzzles etc then I have lift out puzzles for them and i generally sit on the floor in between them and help them all with them and the baby loves it as shes in on it aswell.

i tend to try and involve them as much as possible and if its something that they cant take part in then we wait until they have a sleep and the other kids can then get on with it.

Rach30
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I do like everyone else says , treasure baskets . I have a set of plastic draws that i keep my baby toys in which is good as the draws can be pulled out and put on the floor so the baby can help himself. When i have th four yr old at luch he alwasy wants to play cars which are too small for the baby so i've got chunky baby ones for him . This has worked so far but realised today i need a new strategy as its not fooling him anymore lol . When i'm doing normal stuff like washing up or whatever then i'm constantly talking to the baby and letting him chat back . My best advice tho is invest in a playpen or travel cot as this has prooved invaluble . (sorry about the spelling , i'm knackared lol) :o

Banana
05-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for those suggestions.

Its just so strange having a baby around again!

Lisa - I've actually got a hop and pop - its great isnt it! she's just a little bit little for it at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone again. I've got a lot to be getting on with

xxx

buildingblocks
06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
like someone mentioned giveing the child a variety of positions eg highchair, bouncy chair, floor, etc. I also have a Bumbo which all the little ones I cared for have loved and means they can be floor level with the older children

love Kate

oakie dokie
06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
hi, if i am doing something in the kitchen i sit them in the high chair,any messy stuff or toys that the others want to play with that are not suitable for 6 month child, i will get them out when baby is having a nap, i should not think too much about it, it all works in and everyone happy, you risk assess as you go along throughout the day, second nature. ie picking things up out of babys way that are not suitable etc. if you see what i mean?

hazelx

jo f
06-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I also have a baby due in new year and have been thinking lots about activities and how to do things at the same time. I used to work in a baby unit of a nursery- but obviously the babies were of similar ages.

I love treasure baskets and have the usual baby toys.
I have a pat mat- plastic mat filled with water and sponge shapes, which is good for babies lying on their fronts, and sitting up. They are also handy for little uns in high chairs, its very theraputic!
I have also filled empty small coke bottles with various objects, pasta, pom poms, water and glitter, small bells, feathers. And super glued the lids shut. Someone else mentioned sensory socks a while ago- putting items in socks and sewing them shut.

We used to do spaghetti play (put messy mat on floor with cooked spaghetti), jelly and gloop is also fun!( extremely messy but fun!). And sand, water play, painting, sensory session, musical instruments

I think little uns love watching other kids do stuff- they are better to watch than toys, so if not every minute of the day is spent with you entertaining / interacting with them- as you can't physically do it, they will gain a great deal from watching the others.

Rach30
06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
LOve that coke bottle idea ! GUess what i'm doing this weekend :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:

son77
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Both of my mindee's started at 6 months. What I found the hardest was when I tried to write down what we had done because as such, you don't really do ACTIVITIES with them, but play with them all day. Yes I was using various toys etc but it doesn't sound as exciting when you write it down.

I find treasure baskets & stickle bricks always go down well. Whilst the bigger ones are playing, the baby can have a munch on a brick too!