PDA

View Full Version : Emergency evacuation practices

littleDs31
05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone. Is there a legal requirement of how many times a yr we should practice the fire evacuation drill? If not how many times do you usually do it and do you record it? :)

benandjerrys
05-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I do it once a month

moggy
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone. Is there a legal requirement of how many times a yr we should practice the fire evacuation drill? If not how many times do you usually do it and do you record it? :)

There is no legal requirement.
You need to decide how often is right for you- might depend on the age/stage of the children, if you have a big variation in children over your week (all need to be included over time), how complex your house set up is, how confident you feel about evacuating if it was for real etc etc. I would always record it including notes on any issues/changes to make, even if only for Ofsted!

sarah707
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
No legal requirement.

I do them every month - on different days to involve as many children as possible :D

hectors house
05-11-2013, 07:12 PM
No legal requirement.

I do them every month - on different days to involve as many children as possible :D

I do the same, if I do it on a Monday in August, then I do a Tues in Sept, Wed in Oct, Fri in Nov, - all 7 of my mindees come either 1,2 or 3 days a week with a different combination each day. I was going to do one today and talk about Fire safety but decided to do it next Tuesday when I have a new (very heavy) 11 month old, as I will need both arms to carry him, so will need the 23 month old and 30 month old to follow verbal instructions from now on as I won't have any hands to hold onto them.

rickysmiths
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
I do it once every half term plus when a new child joins me.

clairer
05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
It's supposed to be once a month. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

littleDs31
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I used to do it once a month but when I worked in a school it was much much less. Surely a large premises such as a school should have to practise it more than a childminder. If it's. to a legal requirement then I think I'm going to do them every term/when a new child starts. Thanks for all your replies. :)

gef918
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I do a drill every half-term and when a new child starts. If children come on different days, then we will do more drills during that week. I will also do an extra drill with the after school children if I have any.