PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making your own website

clairer
05-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Have been thinking lately about setting up a website to try to promote my business. Has anyone got any tips or good links for a make your own one? I'm not terribly technical so the thought is filling me with dread a bit.

Rick
05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Have been thinking lately about setting up a website to try to promote my business. Has anyone got any tips or good links for a make your own one? I'm not terribly technical so the thought is filling me with dread a bit.

I use Moonfruit and it's free, although with a restriction of 15 pages and 5 pictures which was fine for me. I was the same as you, thought I'd have to get someone to do it and then pay a fee for it but I managed to do it myself just by using the tutorials. Others like Weebly and Wix exist.

I'll PM you my web address to see what you get for free

clairer
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok thanks I'll have a look at that then. But still nervous- tutorials sounds-yuk!

jitterbug
05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Weebly is fantastic, I will be using it for mine and have used it in the past for other endeavours :-)

clairer
05-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I just looked at both but didn't have a clue where to even start! Where's the step by step guide for idiots?:panic:

tulip0803
05-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I use free webs and found that easy to use as someone that doesn't DO computers much (apart from the forum of course:rolleyes:)

Pauline (mod) on here designs websites too Childminders and Childminding Websites (http://childminderswebsites.co.uk/)

Bluebell
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I use wix - you pick one that you like the look of and then you use their template - its all already set up but you fill in the boxes with your own words and replace the photos with your own photos.

I liked it because once you get the hang of it then it was quite straightforward.

Think any of the free ones that use the templates are probably the best way to go - even I can do it lol!!

PS if you go into the childminding websites at the bottom of the forum there are links to different websites - this will give you a great idea of what kind of thing you would like to do and which free websites look good (they usually have advertising in the corner)

ja-lula-belli
05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I use Moonfruit and it's free, although with a restriction of 15 pages and 5 pictures which was fine for me. I was the same as you, thought I'd have to get someone to do it and then pay a fee for it but I managed to do it myself just by using the tutorials. Others like Weebly and Wix exist.

I'll PM you my web address to see what you get for free

Could you pm me the details too please?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

loocyloo
05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Pauline did mine & its great.

I really do need to email her some new photos to update though!

Rick
05-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I just looked at both but didn't have a clue where to even start! Where's the step by step guide for idiots?:panic:

It was over a year ago I did mine but there should be some video tutorials to help. As a rule of thumb, if I can do it, anyone can!

ja-lula-belli
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Wow I have done one on wix it is amazing. Can't believe I got all that for free.
I still have a few tweeks to finish it but it is great!

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding