PDA

View Full Version : If I hear "why" one more time...

Mouse
05-11-2013, 09:56 AM
... I really do think my head will explode :eek:

Mindee is 3. A lovely child, but oh my word, can she talk! She hasn't shut up all morning :rolleyes:

"why are we playing with pine cones?"

"we're looking at them through the magnifying glasses so we can see what they look like"

"why am I playing with this pine cone?" "why am i looking at this one?" "why are we looking at pine cones?" "why am I putting this pine cone in this basket?"

I know it's a stage of development and a process of learning, but blimey, it gets on your nerves after a while!

I've snuck on here for 10 minutes to print off some colouring sheets. I can still hear her chattering away to the other children. I'm waiting for her to pause for breath ;)

clairer
05-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Ha ha non stop chatterers do grind on your nerves after a while, glad it's not just me. A current child repeats" Excuse me" to get your attention at least once every two minutes!!!!! ARGH.:D

Maza
05-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I found the "why?" stage sooo annoying with my DD. I really had to take a lot of deep breaths, count to ten etc. Now she has substituted it with "how?"

kellib
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Haha I have a 2 year old mindee like that, thankfully she only comes once a fortnight!

cathtee
05-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a 28m lo who says why every time I ask him something or tell him to do something, then after what seems like a dozen whys and answers he just says "ok" like a teenager woukd with attitude. Drives me up the wall,

jitterbug
05-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Dreading the day my 2 yr old DD gets to this stage!

hectors house
05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Had one last week who can't pronounce "G" she says "D" instead - whilst playing uno I thought I would eventually explode each time I asked "have you got a 2 or have you got a red card" and each time she replied "I dot a" - if I repeat it back to her wrong and also say "dot" she can hear that it is wrong but she just can't say it right. We have started to get there with her pronouncing "C" as "T" but nothing is working for "G"!!

Tealady
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Sometimes it's habit and they don't listen to the answer.

I will answer a "Why" "How" "What" "When" question twice. When it gets repeated again I ask them what they think the answer is. I find it helps.

hectors house
05-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I think I read somewhere that children take a while to process the answer you have just given them so they ask the same question again! and again! and again!:D

yummyripples
05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
My friend went on a communication course and I find this very interesting.
We teach the children to converse in questions. When they are little we say 'who's a good boy' 'where's your nose' 'what colour is this' etc so they get used to questions as conversations. We would be better off saying 'you are a good boy' ' there's your nose' ' this is red' that type of thing x
Sounds logical to me. Anyone else?