PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon outing ideas? Help!

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Hey all, now it's so dark at 4pm i was wandering what everyone is doing in the afternoon? My mindees are all full time toddlers, so I need to get out in afternoon as much as them, but our local parks don't have lighting, so everyone leaves at 4 because it feels a little dodgy!

Last week we went to a payed indoor soft play thing, we have been to local museum, library, and art gallery. But I'm running out of ideas. We do a loft of crafty things so happy to mix those in, especially as we get nearer Xmas, but just wandering if anyone else did something fun? This time last year my mindees were 18months and slept 11-1 so we had much more day time to take advantage of!

X

hectors house
05-11-2013, 09:49 AM
We always go out in the morning, wear them out so they nap after lunch - some of mine go at 3.30 so generally just do art or playdough when they wake up until parents start arriving. Isn't 4 pm late enough to be out at the park or on a walk - don't you need to get back home to give them tea? On days I do have children staying for tea we generally sit up at 4.15 as they go home just after 5.

Maybe as people put up their Xmas lights on houses you could walk round the streets looking at them and visit the DIY stores and garden centres looking at the Xmas lights and decorations.

clairer
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I was going to say all the things you have already mentioned.
We usually go out in the morning then it's rest time after lunch, school run at 2.30, home at 3.45, dinner on a 4, eating at 4.30-5, kids go home at 5.30-6. So there is not much time for an afternoon activity other than toys and drawing etc.

Maza
05-11-2013, 10:47 AM
If we need to get out at that time then we will go for a little walk around the block. We have had some great times doing this and you never know what you will see that will grab their interest - grids and drains, lost mitten, lost teddy, Christmas lights, a worm, builders trucks etc.

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I have mine until half6, they wake at half2/3 we have snack and then I like to go out 3.30-5 and come back and have dinner at half5...I find they get cabin fever if we stay in for afternoon. We always go out in the morning too! X

hectors house
05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Have you got any outdoor space at home? - I'm hoping my hubby will build me a canopy over my patio so children can still play out when raining - few trikes, blackboard, sandpit, tuff spot with something interesting in - if you did something similar you could have the lights from the house to let them stay out after dark.

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
That's a good idea, we have a patio area but it's small, canopy and lights is good though, thanks x

vals
05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
get each child a torch and go on adventures looking for treasure.

Goatgirl
05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
..........I like the sound of the nighttime treasure hunts! I'd add high vis clothing to the adventure too :).
Is there a library near you maybe?
Or just a quick shop one night a week with a list/item for each child to find. I used to have schoolies only till 6.30 for a while and we regularly went on a 'great shopping challenge'. They loved it. Very educational too :thumbsup:

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 01:56 PM
..........I like the sound of the nighttime treasure hunts! I'd add high vis clothing to the adventure too :). Is there a library near you maybe? Or just a quick shop one night a week with a list/item for each child to find. I used to have schoolies only till 6.30 for a while and we regularly went on a 'great shopping challenge'. They loved it. Very educational too :thumbsup:

That's a nice idea,can get them to do my Xmas shopping! ;) x

kellyskidz!
05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
On dry days I'd let them play in the garden, do you have a spotlight? Mine spend ages moving out of range for it to turn off then shrieking with delight when it goes dark (simple things eh?) then running under the light to 'turn it back on'
I like the idea of a little walk to see Xmas lights as it gets nearer, although some fool on my road has had their tree and lights up since last week!
Also leaf collecting with torches could be fun as it'd look so different to day time
When you go out in the morning get the kids to note down what they can see, church, cars etc then when you go out in the evening see if they can find them again xx

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
On dry days I'd let them play in the garden, do you have a spotlight? Mine spend ages moving out of range for it to turn off then shrieking with delight when it goes dark (simple things eh?) then running under the light to 'turn it back on' I like the idea of a little walk to see Xmas lights as it gets nearer, although some fool on my road has had their tree and lights up since last week! Also leaf collecting with torches could be fun as it'd look so different to day time When you go out in the morning get the kids to note down what they can see, church, cars etc then when you go out in the evening see if they can find them again xx

The leaf idea is nice, but they are only 2.5yrs, not sure they could fully understand seeing things in the dark/light. Good ideas, thanks all x

weedotes
05-11-2013, 05:47 PM
On dry days I'd let them play in the garden, do you have a spotlight? Mine spend ages moving out of range for it to turn off then shrieking with delight when it goes dark (simple things eh?) then running under the light to 'turn it back on'
I like the idea of a little walk to see Xmas lights as it gets nearer, although some fool on my road has had their tree and lights up since last week!
Also leaf collecting with torches could be fun as it'd look so different to day time
When you go out in the morning get the kids to note down what they can see, church, cars etc then when you go out in the evening see if they can find them again xx

I'm loving all these suggestions , I ve already stocked up on small flash lights but nearly forgot I ve a light shining on the patio that goes off when they re out of range and causes a lot fun . I m looking forward to walking round the neighbourhood looking at Christmas lights too .

yummyripples
05-11-2013, 09:13 PM
You could do a night time animal hunt. Either buy garden ornament animals like foxes, owls etc or get pictures and laminate them. Hide them in the garden and get the children to look for them. Do a project for night time animals or animals that hibernate so perhaps a bug hotel, hedgehog house, bird box, bat box that sort of thing. Make bird feeders because we have to look after our birds in this weather