PDA

View Full Version : Telling ofsted about measles?

Fitrix
04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Having read a few threads on here the general consensus of opinion seems to be that we have to tell ofsted when a child has a notifiable disease. One of my mindees has measles. She was hospitalised and the medical staff will have notified the relevant authorities. I have alerted all my parents and the nursery she attends. I cannot see any reason why I need to tell ofsted so am hoping someone can enlighten me?

k-tots
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Thought it was the hpa that need to be notified so they make a record of the case....but I think that is down to parents/hospital/gp......if in doubt I would contact them to cover my own back....they may say no info needed and then you will know x

tulip0803
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
A local childminder had a child with measles which was notified by the doctors the HPA came to see her and check her infection control procedures and to make sure she and parents knew symptoms but it was an isolated case. They came because they ask the parents where the child has been over the last few weeks.

jackie 7
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
I had a boy with measles and contacted GPS. He had been vaccinated. Ofsted weren't interested. No one came to see me.

hectors house
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Just write a simple letter to Ofsted

here is the one I send many years ago when a child was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever

" I am writing to confirm my telephone conversation today and to confirm that a child I usually care for has been diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, which a notifiable disease.

Following advice given by Ofsted I have spoken to my own doctor Dr xxxxxxx, Surgery and also telephoned the NHS Direct.

I was told that the child should be excluded from my setting for 5 days after treatment commenced, which confirms the information the child’s doctor gave her mother.

I have permission to tell the parents of other children who have been in close contact, so they can take prompt action if their children display any symptoms. Incubation of the illness could be anything from 12 hours to 5 days and as the last day the child was in my setting was 7 days ago today, I hope the other children are in the clear.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information."

I think they just wrote back acknowledging receipt of my letter - it is a waste of time, they don't advise you on what to do, but for some reason you MUST notify them.

SwanLake
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
I had to notify them of scarlet fever before as well and I was sent a questionnaire from Ofsted to fill in about how I would safeguard others to stop the spread of infection.

I also had to advise HPA (even though the Dr's did) and also the local HSO (Health Safety Officer) at my local council. This was whilst I lived in Gloucestershire. x