PDA

View Full Version : what sort of gift for mindees?

ja-lula-belli
04-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi as it's coming up to Xmas I was wondering why sort of gifts are appropriate for your mindees? I remember in my course that the tax man won't like it over 10? What's the amount people spend? Are they token gifts?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

clareelizabeth1
04-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I do books for Christmas. Children get so many toys that I buy all children books now. They get used for a lot longer. Because of my addiction to childrens books too I find it fun finding great books to give.

jackie 7
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I only give books at Christmas birthdays Leaving different ( I do wind up torches). Never heard that tax man doesn't like presents over £10.

Mummits
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
I usually buy books for the older ones and wooden toys, blocks etc for the little ones (often something they have enjoyed playing with at mine or at one of the groups we attend). I avoid anything plastic or with batteries or with annoying sounds or music - but that's because I don't want to be remembered as the person whose presenr broke/ate batteries/annoyed everyone to death over the holiday. I don't spend more than £10, but often find something nice for a bit less anyway. Usborne books are always nice; you can get them from a local rep or order direct, and they also do things like playing cards and dominoes for younger ones or to put with a book. I think a small token gift is fine; Parents will want their own gifts to be the really special ones.

We also do Christmas cookies and puddings to take home, some sort of homemade sweets and various Christmas crafts.

tulip0803
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I look at the interests of the child - last year 2 got wooden train sets, 1 got a wooden dog and the other got a cat dress-up outfit. I got the first 3 when Tesco had a buy two get one free deal:D. Try for about £10 or less.

hectors house
04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Under £10 means you don't have to show a receipt I think that was what was meant on your course. I generally buy books (have a look on Book People website), last year in Argos I bought a pack of books and a pack of craft sets and shared them out so they had one each. Once I bought them all a pair of pajamas from Primark and gave them a little bedtime book too - I try not to spend more than £8 as I have 6 current mindees plus some that just come back odd days in the holidays.

karen m
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
It depends on the child at the moment I have 9 to buy for, 1 is a 8 year old girl and loves 1Direction so have bought her a bracelet with 1D on , her brother is 10 so think it will be a book , younger ones get anything from a top from Asda to jigsaw

yummyripples
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I got some hello kitty bubbles sets in a nice bag for £2 just before summer so I put them away. I also got some glitter kit things from elc in the jan sales can't remember how much but I spend maximum of a fiver per child. We spend so much on them coming up to xmas and they get such a lot off their own families in my opinion

lizduncan72
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I usually just get books for mine too :)

Jenna
04-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Mine are all 3/4 I've seen some colouring sets in B & M for £4.99 so I was gonna get them one of those each and a selection box

bindy
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
One year I bought a starter Brio train set, for one of the little boys. I add on when it comes to Xmas and birthdays. This year I bought him a brio bridge. The little 18 month old girls will be getting dollies that cry, another boy will be getting some kind of JCB toy the school kids, board games.

clairer
04-11-2013, 08:01 PM
This year I bought some paint your own piggy banks and paint your own cars from Baker Ross.

gef918
04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
I either go for books or crafty stuff, depending on the age/interests of the child.

Maza
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I usually do books. The Book People usually have some good offers or multi packs that you can separate for different mindees. To be honest, I don't call them Christmas presents because I don't want the parents to feel bad if they haven't got DD anything. I usually give them as prizes for our party games. I spend about 5 or 6 pounds per mindee. x

ja-lula-belli
05-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks all some great ideas x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding