PDA

View Full Version : Practicalities of three toddlers

littleblue
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I have been childminding a few years but in addition to my own son I have only had one other toddler at the same time. I really want to start advertising for more children but I don't know how I would make that work since my two currently can't walk that far so still use the buggy. How do you get out and about with three littles and do you find it works out ok or are you confined to the house for the day? (We do use a sling sometimes, I wore my son all the time, but I hurt my back a while ago and struggle to do it for any distance these days!)

And what about naps? I don't want to do school runs since we will be home educating so older children are not really an option.

munch149
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I hate doing day trips with my three Los all under two but groups are fine as my daughter will
Walk well into the groups now and even when had three non walkers I used a double and a sling. Day trips are hard as I couldn't afford a fancy triple and my side by side obaby didn't it anywhere and like you I can't use the sling for long. I go to groups three days a week, can manage into soft plays and small parks but only do large parks and farms etc on days I have two as I find it hard to keep track of them all. Most day trips I've been on with three I've been with my local children centre and staff help me out a lot with my own daughter so that I can focus on Los. I have been so grateful for there help at times. I also have permission from parents to leave Los with cc staff if I need the loo which makes life so much easier (my Los parents all use the cc so know the staff)

hectors house
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Just try to encourage your current toddlers to walk a bit further - don't take out a double buggy, just take a single and alternate walking, then if you get a non-walker you can do the same with a double buggy (non walker stays in and other two alternate), yes it will take twice as long to get anywhere but at least you won't be stuck in the house.

One day a week I have a 10 month old (who doesn't walk) and a 22 month old and a 2 1/2 year old - I'm so lucky as the 2 1/2 year old walks really well, so I use double buggy. On a different day I have a 20 month old, and then the 22 month old an 2 1/2 year old, so I alternate in single one.

samb
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I bought an easy x rider early this year so I could get out with 3 under 2s. I would highly recommend. They are a buggy board with a pole coming out with a cup style seat that has a lap belt and a handle bar. I get so many comments from mums when we're out. It would fit your double fine. I put a child who likes to grab other children in it rather than put her sitting next to a child in the double. It has a strap like other buggy boards to attach to the handle in case child is walking and you want it out of the way a bit. They have a Facebook page. Have a look.

lizduncan72
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I have three little ones too, two 12 months and dd 21 months. When we go out the youngest two are in the double buggy and dd walks so we're restricted to fairly short distances!! They're ok at toddlers but wouldn't take all three to soft play or parks at the same time though! I'm luck in that I only have all three together twice a week so we get to go other places when one isn't here

emma04
04-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I have 4 under 3 and have had since I began childminding 6 years ago! Once you get the hang of it, it's fine!
Over time, I've had a triple buggy, double with a buggy board, lots of car seats and travel cots!
I managed to get them all napping at the same time! Two separated and two together (separate cots!) by working out who was compatible with who!
It's HARD work but fantastic for the children. They learn about waiting and patience very quickly! This in turn has made them all very empathic and sensible. Some of my children are now 6yrs old and no longer with me, but I continue to receive praise for the way they've turned out!
No child can thrive on total 1:1 attention, they need to learn self-restraint, patience, respect for the needs of others, how to take sensible risks and how to manage without the help of an adult!

Organisation is the key, routine is paramount and being relaxed (when possible) is essential!
However, If you're terrified of accidents, are a health and safety guru and are scared of Ofsted........stick with 3 or less!

sing-low
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
This thread has reminded me that I need to get my DD walking slightly further distances, in anticipation of her space in the buggy being taken soon!