PDA

View Full Version : Retainer for over eight years?

clairer
02-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Would you still charge a retainer for a child over the age of eight?

I think I would as the place in my car for day trips/school runs would still need to be reserved. I have a parent round today enquiring about adhoc care. I told her she would have to pay a minimum fee per week to keep a place. She who seemed to think that she can call last minute and get childcare when ever she likes once her child is eight years old as he won't count as one of my numbers.

If I already had four mindees on one day plus two of own children and then another parent booked their child in for the day, the parents of the eight year old would then be turned away if they then wanted care last minute as my car would be full. So therefore if the parent wants to reserve a place, on say a Wednesday every week, a retainer would still need to be charged no matter the age of the child? Also very difficult to write a contract for a child if they are not even with you a certain amount of hours per week? I have told the parent if the minimum care required is one day per week then I would require payment for one day per week to keep the child's place. If they required extra days after that then I would provide those if I could accommodate them.

Thought please?

chris goodyear
02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
The way I understand adhoc care is that a place is not guaranteed so if the parent requests care on a day that you are full they would not get a place. That's the scary thing on the parent's part but if they want a guaranteed place then they have to pay a retainer no matter the age of the child. Hope this helps.

FussyElmo
02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
The parent wants an ad hoc contract. So they take the risk of the place not being available.

I get why the parent wants the ad hoc as the child doesn't come in your ofsted numbers but she takes the risk of the place not being available.

I would do the ad hoc contract but the decision is yours :)

LauraS
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't personally as I don't use the car for school runs, so am not limited by the number of spaces in the car. I could just view the days the 8yo attended as an added bonus (and have done for older mindees in the past)

However, if the child was taking up a space for me, as they would be for you albeit in the car, I would charge.

Tulip
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
At first I thought you meant to hold a place open for 8 years into the future :ROFL1:
silly me!

tulip0803
02-11-2013, 09:17 PM
I have had ad-hoc contracts before and get the parents to sign to say that they understand that I can only offer care if a space is available for that day. It can be good to have a bit of extra money every so often. I have had to turn ad-hoc parents away and they have been fine because I made sure that they understood before they signed the contracts.

I charge a retainer to my TTO parent if they do not use the space because they want to guarantee a space IYSWIM

dawn100
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I agree with previous posts with suggestion of adhoc contract, one thing I would add is remember you are in charge of your buisness and although they do not count in your numbers ofsted do say that in providing care for them must not negatively impact on the care of the others or something along that line, I'm not saying you aren't capable but just don't let the parent dictate their terms to you just because they don't think they count because they are over 8. Hope what I've said makes sense.

ja-lula-belli
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Can I ask what adhoc care is?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Zoomie
03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
'As and when needed'

littlebears1009
03-11-2013, 08:48 AM
At first I thought you meant to hold a place open for 8 years into the future :ROFL1:
silly me!

Me too Tulip!

lizduncan72
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
silly me!

That's how I read it too lol :)

tulip0803
03-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Can I ask what adhoc care is?

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Care that is not on a proper contract, no quaranteed hours - parent rings to see if there is space and can have it if there is and child cant attend if there isn't.

clairer
03-11-2013, 07:30 PM
OK thanks I'm glad I was looking at this is the right way. Parents can be very persuasive to get their own way.

And apologies if it was written badly... two children behind me trying to read over my shoulder-VERY hard to concentrate :panic:

ja-lula-belli
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Care that is not on a proper contract, no quaranteed hours - parent rings to see if there is space and can have it if there is and child cant attend if there isn't.

Thank-you x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

tulip0803
04-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank-you x

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

If you do this in Wales you need to still have a contract in place - I do my own short one - as it is a requirement of the NMS to have a contract with the parents

Bluebell
04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I agree with what has been said above - if mum wants you to guarantee her space she must pay for it - if she wants it on the off chance that it is available then she shouldn't pay. Did you explain to her about the car spaces? and that if you have her child you may have to turn another child away?

Perhaps you will have someone else that wants the space and then it will be first come first served - or whoever is willing to pay for it to reserve it!

I had situation with one of my EY group - kept having an extra day but wouldn't pay for it if didn't need it. I had done an exception for them to come occassionaly but they came nearly all the time but only when it suited them. when the other children on that day left I asked them if they wanted the day - they didn't want to pay every week for it so I filled it with new children and as such could no longer do the variation/exception. think they were a bit shocked as i have always bent over backwards for them in the past but they ended up taking advantage!

You got to do whats right for you and if the lady ain't willing to pay and you happen to be able to fill it with another child then unfortunately its going to be tough for her - think you need to explain about the car space thing and that financially you will go with what suits you better.

Another consideration is how much notice will she give you and will this mess up your day? for example you finish at 5, you plan to meet friends, then this child is coming at last minute but comes to 6.30?

clairer
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Fortunately she didnt go with me in the end. There were a number of issues we didn't see eye to eye on, one being she wanted me to include snacks in my after school rate (£12) and she didn't want to pay to give the child a dinner. In other words she wanted me to fill him up with lots of free snacks so hardly any of the £12 would be left :p