PDA

View Full Version : holiday rant

ziggy
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I have early appointment 2hrs away on December 4th, so going to drive up day before. Being December roads could be bad. so will need 3rd and 4th december off.

Told parents this morning, one just said ok, then stormed out and didnt even say goodbye to her child. Same parent has lot of family here to help out. Other parents were fine.

Looking back I have had one day sick this year. As for holidays.............2 weeks in summer (and took same weeks as this particular parent). Had no choice but to take a week off in September due to unexpected house move, having week off this month for daughters graduation in England (parents were all warned about this last year). Am closing 2 weeks at christmas as no one needs me (parents dont pay when i'm closed). On top of this I had 4 odd days off for family things but gave lots of notice.

So in total I have had 4 weeks actual holiday and 4 odd days.

Am I being unreliable?

my contract states i will give at least 4weeks notice of closure. I dont charge if i'm closed

feel so horrible now, hate it when parents get stroppy

Tealady
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
No not being unreliable. You've given them over a months notice.

I have in my contract that I can take off four weeks holiday (five from next year) I close 24 Dec - 1st Jan and in addition to that I reserve the right to take of odd additional days at short notice for hospital appointments, funerals etc.

This is life and these things happen. If you time off causes them such problems they should have chosen a nursery.

dawn100
01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
It is something I point out to parents especially to parents choosing between me and nursery, that I close for up to 6 weeks a year normally 1 week at Easter 1 week at Christmas and 2 weeks in the summer and then some occasional days throughout the year I will give as much notice as possible with at least 4 weeks for holidays (although its nearer to 4 months I give) and other appointments as much as I can possibly give, I do point out that if they need guaranteed childcare then nursery would be better for them. Thankfully most of the parents have been fine with my closures except one who is kind of a friend (not close friend but knew her before) and she expects me to book around what suits her. You're not being unreliable you have given over 4 weeks notice of this latest closure, but I know how it can make you feel bad, how would that parent feel if she need time off work for an appointment and her work got stroppy with her?

Koala
01-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Obviously this parent is ignorant and rude! this shows in her behaviour.
She obviously feels that she OWNS you :panic: , she may need putting straight about that :angry:

No matter how many days for appointments, holidays or fairy fluffing that you take off does not give someone the right to be rude to you and make you feel bad.

From what you have said you have given plenty of notice and your days off/holidays etc are given well in advance and you don't even charge for them (big mistake in my opinion but we are all different about charges)

You havn't taken a lot of time off - I take 4 weeks paid holiday and to be quite honest if I want to take more, I will and I have this year 5 weeks (1 week unpaid) I havn't had any time off sick for 9 years, however, if I needed more days for appointments etc... it is up to me to how to run my life and NO ONE else. Off course I am aware I run a business and I am sure you are too and we all try to do our very best.

Maybe this LADY! needs to be SPOKEN! to. :thumbsup: cheaky little mare.

ziggy
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
this is same mummy who doesnt like me having anyone else in the house, including new man in my life

thank you for replies, she will be back at 1.30 so will see what her attitude is then. I have new baby starting in january so if she has a problem she can go elsewhere for all i care

why is it the ones you bend over backwards for are the ones who are never happy

ziggy
01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
update:

mummy text at 1.10 to say she is running late. I never charge for few mins late as since I moved she has further to drive. I text back saying 'no worries, A happily playing'

she arrived to collect, all smiles and not a word about this morning

caz3007
01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Perhaps the reaction was just a lets throw my toys out the pram sort of reaction and once she had time to think about it, she realised she was being unreasonable

Koala
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
mmmm, no apology?

Just as well you don't take the huff isn't it!! I bet she wouldn't like it if you just didn't reply to her text or send a kurt text back.

I would just keep a note of times when she is late, rude and disrespectful for future ammunition, but then again - is it worth the fight?

Put it down to poor upbringing!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and have a nice weekend :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
It's her problem. Not yours. Enjoy your time off :)

jackie 7
02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
She sounds like she needs a life! If she contimuirs then she can move. As you have a new on starting you wont miss them.

mrs owl
02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Obviously this parent is ignorant and rude! this shows in her behaviour.
She obviously feels that she OWNS you :panic: , she may need putting straight about that :angry:

No matter how many days for appointments, holidays or fairy fluffing that you take off does not give someone the right to be rude to you and make you feel bad.

From what you have said you have given plenty of notice and your days off/holidays etc are given well in advance and you don't even charge for them (big mistake in my opinion but we are all different about charges)

You havn't taken a lot of time off - I take 4 weeks paid holiday and to be quite honest if I want to take more, I will and I have this year 5 weeks (1 week unpaid) I havn't had any time off sick for 9 years, however, if I needed more days for appointments etc... it is up to me to how to run my life and NO ONE else. Off course I am aware I run a business and I am sure you are too and we all try to do our very best.

Maybe this LADY! needs to be SPOKEN! to. :thumbsup: cheaky little mare.

Well said! :)

ziggy
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Update: child's auntie (mum's sister) just collected child. She is a friend of mine. she made a sarcastic/jokey comment about amount of time off childminders take and how I am always on holiday.

I just ignored it, so now feeling quite pleased with myself that I didnt let it get to me.

Mum asked to swop a morning for an afternoon last week for a dental appointment, asked the same for tomorrow, have explained as we're not going out that is wont be a problem. Shame they cant see the flexibility can be a two way thing