PDA

View Full Version : Daily diarys

PrettyFlowers
31-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I am after a new daily diary, the ones I currently use fall apart when the parents bend them back.. Could you share with me where you get yours from please, I'm having trouble finding what I am looking for. Thank you

lizduncan72
31-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I got ready made ones from Nursery Resources, my parents love them :)

tas
31-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I tend to use hardbacked ring binded ones, as I find it easy to tear out a page when it doesn't make the same sense on paper as it did in my head! :laughing:

Bumble Beez
31-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I got ready made ones from Nursery Resources, my parents love them :)

Me too :) they're simple to use, pretty to look at and not v.expensive either :thumbsup:

Sarah x

PrettyFlowers
31-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I like those ones. The problem has been that when the parents fold the diary back, it falls apart at the binding. That one looks pretty unbreakable.

yummyripples
31-10-2013, 10:07 PM
I text mine now

shortstuff
31-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I use a web based one. The parents dont actually realise I know they don't bother looking too lol.

It does mean that it cant get lost or defaced either though.

jackie 7
31-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I just use a ring binder note book. Wilko does goos ones.

miffy
01-11-2013, 07:59 AM
I send my daily diaries to parents via email!

Miffy xx

PrettyFlowers
01-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Oooh, whats the web based one?

shortstuff
01-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Oooh, whats the web based one?

Its one that would be starred out on here. If you pm me your email I will email you the details. Its not free but with all the other things the program allows I think its worth every penny.

Simona
01-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I am very intrigued by 'diaries' and the various ways cms do them

I do not use diaries because what I have found in the past is that the info in the diary also used to get related 'verbally' by parents at night so I was actually duplicating my efforts and paperwork

For instance if I wrote in the diary what the child had eaten the parents would have seen the menu on the wall at pick up time so by the time they got home that was superfluous news

If parents are told what children do during the day...my planning on the wall would have been seen first so again a waste of time writing it down

Invariably parents ask about sleep when they pick up so here too there is duplication
And they also may want to know about nappy changes...another bit of duplication as they are told at 6pm

Now I do ask parents what is their preferred way of communicating daily events and invariably I am told 'verbally' at pick up time....I also have added ways which I am 'testing' and putting in the new SEF

I am unsure though about sending 'private and confidential' info via email as the child can be identified...how do you make sure that confidential info is not sent by text or email....should we or are we allowed to email nappy changes and consistency of poo in an email or description of sickeness?

What do you think? diaries are not a requirement so why do we spend so much time writing up things parents may ignore, already know by the time they get home, worry if parents will write back in them and be sad if they lose them in the continuous journeys home?
Does Ofsted actually look at diaries or see them as another way of sharing info?

shortstuff
01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I am very intrigued by 'diaries' and the various ways cms do them

I do not use diaries because what I have found in the past is that the info in the diary also used to get related 'verbally' by parents at night so I was actually duplicating my efforts and paperwork

For instance if I wrote in the diary what the child had eaten the parents would have seen the menu on the wall at pick up time so by the time they got home that was superfluous news

If parents are told what children do during the day...my planning on the wall would have been seen first so again a waste of time writing it down

Invariably parents ask about sleep when they pick up so here too there is duplication
And they also may want to know about nappy changes...another bit of duplication as they are told at 6pm

Now I do ask parents what is their preferred way of communicating daily events and invariably I am told 'verbally' at pick up time....I also have added ways which I am 'testing' and putting in the new SEF

I am unsure though about sending 'private and confidential' info via email as the child can be identified...how do you make sure that confidential info is not sent by text or email....should we or are we allowed to email nappy changes and consistency of poo in an email or description of sickeness?

What do you think? diaries are not a requirement so why do we spend so much time writing up things parents may ignore, already know by the time they get home, worry if parents will write back in them and be sad if they lose them in the continuous journeys home?
Does Ofsted actually look at diaries or see them as another way of sharing info?

By ysing the system I do it shows ofsted about the communication I have with parents and how I also receive feedback so yes ofsted did look at my diaries.

QualityCare
01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I use a daily diary for young babies up to 18mths/24mths and yes all the information is verbally given at pick up but often forgotten when got home, how much was eaten/drank at last meal etc, also if child becomes ill and dr asks what has he eaten today all the info is written down also childs mood if different to normal. I print my own sheets and put them in an A5 folder.

samb
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I've bought a5 hard back diaries with page per day from pound land and for £1 they are fab! I had 2 start at beginning of the year and they are still going strong. On one of them the book mark thing has fallen off but that's it. I've bought more for next year. I bought another academic year one for another who started sept. also fab. If they only come once a week or very short hours then I just use old school style exercise books and write date as I go. I think its sad that people hunk they are doing it for Ofsted - I do it for the parents to help them feel involved and not missing out while they are at work. I would want to know if I wasn't with my children. I make notes I don't write in sentences- I wouldn't have time. As for things like food, not everyone has exactly the same here as i will try to adapt to tastes and also I can write what was offered and what was actually eaten etc. again as a parent I would find it useful to know that for the last few days my child refused tomatoes when they usually love them for example. Or that they had tried something new and liked it etc. I only do diaries for under 5s.

mrstom
01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
I print my own on A5 paper (double sided) and bind with my comb binder. Each sheet has a pre-printed table which a section for about how a child has eaten/drank, nappies (usually a tally chart of wet/dirty), nap times, what the child has enjoyed today and sections for childminder/parent comments. They are left on the side in my kitchen and I just scribble on as I'm walking past.

I find the diaries invaluable as our house is quite mental at drop off and collection so mentioning things can be forgotten. Plus, (as in the case of one mindee) dad does pick up and drop off and he's the most uncommunicative person I've ever met! If I didn't do a diary then mum would never find out anything.

I'm probably lucky in the families I have at the moment as everyone fills in their section (just a sentence or two each day). I also use the 'childminder comments' section for things like asking parents to send more nappies or wipes.

Logan
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I print my own on A5 paper (double sided) and bind with my comb binder. Each sheet has a pre-printed table which a section for about how a child has eaten/drank, nappies (usually a tally chart of wet/dirty), nap times, what the child has enjoyed today and sections for childminder/parent comments. They are left on the side in my kitchen and I just scribble on as I'm walking past.

I find the diaries invaluable as our house is quite mental at drop off and collection so mentioning things can be forgotten. Plus, (as in the case of one mindee) dad does pick up and drop off and he's the most uncommunicative person I've ever met! If I didn't do a diary then mum would never find out anything.

I'm probably lucky in the families I have at the moment as everyone fills in their section (just a sentence or two each day). I also use the 'childminder comments' section for things like asking parents to send more nappies or wipes.

I was thinking of trying to make my own like that. Could I be cheeky & ask if you'd be prepared to share your template? I have some ideas but knowing me I'd make them & then wish I'd done them differently - or I'll have missed something out! It's always good to see something that works for someone else.

kel1983
01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
We use ring bound notebooks from the works. They seem to be staying together ok. We use then as we have a few dads that do pick up and the mums like to read what lo's have been up to.