PDA

View Full Version : New and Confused!

Naomiloveheart
31-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can help me!

I have decided after years of dreaming that it could finally be the right time to start childminding!

I have been working with children for around 10 years in a nursery environment and have an NVQ3 in Childcare, learning and development and a degree in Early Childhood Studies. I have also got various courses, such as, safeguarding. However, these are for a county council I know longer live in.

I have looked up 'how to be a childminder' and google throws rather a lot of information at me!

I sort of get the general idea but I have no idea where the starting point is.

Going back to basics, whats the first thing(s) I need to do before I even consider child minding!? Is there a course I need to complete? Also, do I need other qualifications etc? Literally an info would be fab as I cannot figurer this out!!

Thank you in advance :)

Rick
31-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi and welcome :waving:

You've come to the right place for help!

Have a look at this thread which should answer your questions. Yes you will need to do a local authority course regardless of any other qualifications

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

Bumble Beez
31-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Good morning...and welcome to the forum :waving:
The link that MTK007 has given you is fantastic and should help answer a lot of questions...
I would suggest contacting your LA and asking them directly about courses and the registration process.
Good luck, and keep us posted with how you're getting on :thumbsup:

fione
31-10-2013, 08:59 PM
I've only just started childminding and worked in nurseries for 14 years, I have a NVQ Level 3 and because of this my LA said I didn't need to do any other courses before hand, I just needed a valid first aid cert, and they wrote me a letter stating this to ofsted when I had my pre reg visit, not sure if all LA do the same, but hope this helps x

Rick
31-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I've only just started childminding and worked in nurseries for 14 years, I have a NVQ Level 3 and because of this my LA said I didn't need to do any other courses before hand, I just needed a valid first aid cert, and they wrote me a letter stating this to ofsted when I had my pre reg visit, not sure if all LA do the same, but hope this helps x

I'm pretty sure this isn't the norm....but good for you!

englishrose
31-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm a primary teacher, now going into childminding, and all I had to do was the online cypop5 course but no assessments or tests. Just literally click through the buttons. Did it in an evening pretty much! x

FloraDora
01-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Definately not the norm...I am well qualified and experienced in Early Years, have run courses locally about EYFS, managed school budgets etc but I still had to attend an LEA day training on the EYFS and business management one too. No differentiation for experience given.

The first point of call is LEA - it seems they are all different in their requirements ( why am I not surprised about this? Another area that is not consistent)

CLL
01-11-2013, 06:37 AM
I still had to attend a 12 week course and pass my cypop5 for my LEA, even though I am a qualified teacher and early years professional. The standards between LEA's differ vastly so best to contact your local council. I am however quite shocked that it can be one rule for one council and one for another.

sarah707
01-11-2013, 09:10 AM
The Eyfs 2012 states that an appropriate LA approved introduction to childminding type course must be attended before the Ofsted application goes in.

If your LA are happy to give you a letter saying that you are trained then great - but I have never heard of it happening before and I know people who want to be childminders are having to wait months and months for LA courses at the moment because of cut backs :(

bunyip
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
New and confused?

Don't worry - most of us here are already middle-aged and confused. :laughing:

I'm looking forward to being old and confused. Apparently that's the stage at which they give you tablets for it (little pink ones.) :D

k-tots
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
New and confused?

Don't worry - most of us here are already middle-aged and confused. :laughing:

I'm looking forward to being old and confused. Apparently that's the stage at which they give you tablets for it (little pink ones.) :D

Agreed lofl ........where do you get the pink tablets. .....I only have 'wine' to keep me sane

michelle rachel
03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Hi their I'm not to shaw what I'm post to do on here and I'm a new childminder and I've just qualified and I'm not shaw how to get my business start i be gratefully if you give me some tips on how get up and running

keely81
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Hi Fione. I too have not had to do the cypop or other course. My LA have confirmed to Ofsted via email that my existing Nursery Nursing level 3 is enough to meet their requirements. However I did do a childminder course about 9 years ago now so that probably helped their decision ? Glad to hear of this happening else where as I was so worried when I first posted a while ago. I thought It couldn't happen. Seems it does and can as Ofsted do state it on point 66 of the guide to registration on the early years register document x

keely81
03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can help me!

I have decided after years of dreaming that it could finally be the right time to start childminding!

I have been working with children for around 10 years in a nursery environment and have an NVQ3 in Childcare, learning and development and a degree in Early Childhood Studies. I have also got various courses, such as, safeguarding. However, these are for a county council I know longer live in.

I have looked up 'how to be a childminder' and google throws rather a lot of information at me!

I sort of get the general idea but I have no idea where the starting point is.

Going back to basics, whats the first thing(s) I need to do before I even consider child minding!? Is there a course I need to complete? Also, do I need other qualifications etc? Literally an info would be fab as I cannot figurer this out!!

Thank you in advance :)

Hi . My first step was to contact my LA. I rang the local family information service number and they got me in touch with the childminder coordinators. They visited me and I went from there. The guide provided here on the forum is great ,so helpful x

fione
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Oh that's good Keely, was starting to feel like I was the only one, and not quite as deserving as those who are having to go through more hoops, I had to go to a childminding brief, but that's it, because I was up to date with the EYFS, the progress check, valid first aid, safeguarding, I suppose they thought there wasn't much more to do before hand, plus I still had my pre reg too, nice to hear it isn't just me x