PDA

View Full Version : ok rant needed.. rahh

starschildmind
30-10-2013, 08:47 AM
So a friend has decided to start up as a childminder. Yet this lady can not stand other peoples kids. Rahhh!!

She has worked at tesco for the last 16 years. Shes decided she doesnt like it and after a convo of how much we earn (we was talking about finances) she was like whoah ive got to be a childminder.

Now I am pretty full so my wage atm is pretty good. But I work bliming hard. 50 hour week and always behind on paperwork.

Not only does she not like children. But she wants me to do her cypop.. (obviously I laughed and said no) and me to help her set up.

Im having trouble with my own paperwork. Let alone doing someone else.

She just wants to be a cm because of the money and its easy. Im so frustrated its putting a strain on our friendship!! She couldnt even be bothered to look into how to set up. I have to send her the links.

Sorry no actual point to this I just needed to off load!!

Koala
30-10-2013, 08:51 AM
OMG like you dont have anything else to do, don't get involved - she'll want you to do it for her!!

Run Run for the hills and don't look back :D

Cinnamon Sugar
30-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Some 'friend'! Perhaps you make it look easy ;-)

starschildmind
30-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Its frustration to because its taken bussiness away from me.

Ive worked with children for 11 years. Its would be like me saying. I could do your job couldnt I? It only stacking shelves (shes a manager) phaaa. I dont think she will last.
Ive trained, slogged my guts and had many tantums yet she doesnt like kids....

Rahh!!

dawn100
30-10-2013, 09:09 AM
There have been quite a few people in my area who set up because they look at what childminders charge per hour in my area it's £4.50 x 3 children (£13.50) for 10 hours a day(£135 p/d) 5 days a week (£675 p/w) x 48 weeks a year £32,400 a year which seems like a great wage but they forget that's not your wage expenses have to come out of that, rarely can you fill 3 spaces all for 10 hours a day 5 days a week, alot of parents round here use childminders because they want part time hours, those that want full time hours tend to go for nurseries, also they forget about unpaid time off due to illness or the fact 4 weeks holiday might not be enough, suffice to say alot of those expecting a great wage soon found out that it wasn't that easy and have packed in before they've even been minding for 6 months and have returned to their old job. I'm sure your friend will find the same, it's going to be hard but do not do her paperwork for her.

Tulip
30-10-2013, 10:05 AM
The grass looks greener to her doesn't it. Let her start the process herself, she will soon change her mind when she see's how much there is to just getting registered.
p.s make sure you are out a lot and phone off the hook :blush:

The Juggler
30-10-2013, 10:10 AM
if she doesn't like kids then she is set up to fail as a CM. If I were you I'd sit her down and explain exactly how hard it is and even you who adores being with kids has bad days when it's really tough. Tell her how many hours you work and that sometimes several people give notice at once leaving you with a vastly reduced income.

Then, when she wants help = tell her you are too busy catching up with paperwork at weekends and late into the evening s- maybe you'll put her off ;)

starschildmind
30-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Have tried to tell her how it is. She says I know but my jobs really hard (she works 18 hours)

Ive tried to put her off with out sounding selfish or demeaning but it not worked.

She has to prove that their is a need for a childminder in the area and she was askong me today what I did. But I had to figure it out on my own.

Rahh..sorry there is not really any point in my rant. But im really frustrated.!!

eddie
30-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Has she even considered all the expenses such as insurance, first aid trg (£60+), ICO registration, DBS forms etc?

AdeleMarie88
30-10-2013, 12:50 PM
If that's her attitude she won't get very far,and I'm sure parents will see straight through it! X

starschildmind
30-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Has she even considered all the expenses such as insurance, first aid trg (£60+), ICO registration, DBS forms etc?

Yup I have tried. But she changes subject quickly. Just says it will be really good. She gets an 8k pay out when she leaves so dont think shes worried about cost.
I think she is deluided as she just keeps going we can go here and there in the holidays. It will be so much fun. We can meet for coffee and just let the kids play...yet we was ment to be going out today and she couldnt be botheted. And you can just sit and drink coffee and let the kids play. Cm is not about that its about enriching childrens lives and teaching them giving them the best start..

eddie
30-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Yup I have tried. But she changes subject quickly. Just says it will be really good. She gets an 8k pay out when she leaves so dont think shes worried about cost.
I think she is deluided as she just keeps going we can go here and there in the holidays. It will be so much fun. We can meet for coffee and just let the kids play...yet we was ment to be going out today and she couldnt be botheted. And you can just sit and drink coffee and let the kids play. Cm is not about that its about enriching childrens lives and teaching them giving them the best start..

Some people just won't be told I suppose. She will soon learn the hard way hopefully and if I was a parent visiting her I would hopefully pick up the wrong vibes so she may struggle to get any takers.

On a side note, love the dog in your avatar! Is it your pooch?

The Juggler
30-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Have tried to tell her how it is. She says I know but my jobs really hard (she works 18 hours)

Ive tried to put her off with out sounding selfish or demeaning but it not worked.

She has to prove that their is a need for a childminder in the area and she was askong me today what I did. But I had to figure it out on my own.

Rahh..sorry there is not really any point in my rant. But im really frustrated.!!

hon, if she thinks 18 hours in her job is hard does she think she will be able to just CM for 18 hours per week. Maybe point out to her that working part-time might not be an option in that she may be turning away work or not able to fill spaces to fit in with the hours she wishes to work and that she may end up working more hours than she really wants to?? Also that the salary in CM for 18 hours probably won't be as good as hers is now.

Sorry, it is hard. I would just continue to say you are up to your eye balls when she wants help with finding stuff out. Just a quick signpost to FIS or another website, or local children's centre and make her do the work herself.:thumbsup:

KatieFS
30-10-2013, 03:06 PM
She is living in cloud cookcoo land if she thinks this job is easy and the income is good. The income can be good but it's unreliable. The work is rewarding but it is tough and while there are lots of benefits.. There are many negatives

Surely the first thing you must enjoy is being with children - young ones at that! If she doesn't like that, I give her 6 months before she jacks it in.

hectors house
30-10-2013, 03:38 PM
There have been quite a few people in my area who set up because they look at what childminders charge per hour in my area it's £4.50 x 3 children (£13.50) for 10 hours a day(£135 p/d) 5 days a week (£675 p/w) x 48 weeks a year £32,400 a year which seems like a great wage but they forget that's not your wage expenses have to come out of that, rarely can you fill 3 spaces all for 10 hours a day 5 days a week, alot of parents round here use childminders because they want part time hours, those that want full time hours tend to go for nurseries, also they forget about unpaid time off due to illness or the fact 4 weeks holiday might not be enough, suffice to say alot of those expecting a great wage soon found out that it wasn't that easy and have packed in before they've even been minding for 6 months and have returned to their old job. I'm sure your friend will find the same, it's going to be hard but do not do her paperwork for her.

When I returned to childminding 8+ years ago I did it partly due to calculations (as above) of potential earnings - I calculated back then 3 children @ £3 an hour, 9 hours a day, 50 weeks of the year - yeah £20,000 great - however even though I do have 3 mindees a day they don't all stay 9 hours, I didn't factor in bank holidays, my holidays, parents half fee holidays, let alone the expenses - even though my hourly rate is now £3.75 an hour I haven't got close to earning 20K.

However the other reason I went back into childminding was because I could say hand on heart that I hadn't had a job since I gave up the first time that gave me as much job satisfaction and sense of achievement. I don't think people who don't like childminding last very long in the job, it's the love of the children that make us put up with so much :censored: from parents and Ofsted!

clairer
30-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I have been operating a few years, I love the kids but the earnings are no where near what I predicted. Love this job but fear my business is operating at a loss not profit :censored:

bunyip
30-10-2013, 04:24 PM
As the Zen master said, "Choose your friends wisely, as you can only be betrayed by the people you trust." :(

Kiddleywinks
30-10-2013, 05:23 PM
As Juggler said, if she doesn't like other peoples children, she's setting herself up to fail, but I wouldn't be wasting my time outlining the negatives as she obviously isn't prepared to listen.
Until she takes off those rose tinted glasses, nothing you say is going to change her mind, so point out where she goes to get training, and then let her get on with it. Be helpful by all means, suggest a book she should get to help with training, but distance yourself enough so you don't do the work for her.

There's being a friend, and being a mug, and it sounds like she has no appreciation for the hard work, research, additional time (unpaid), funds spent on resources, that you have had to do to gain the status you have now achieved.