PDA

View Full Version : Inhaler question

funemnx
30-10-2013, 08:18 AM
A child has come today (he's under 2) with a blue inhaler. He isn't diagnosed with Asthma but has had a cough for ages. I have used one before so quite confident in using one (if I can get him to let me :rolleyes:).

My question is do I do a normal medication form or a long term one for as needed use?

Bumble Beez
30-10-2013, 08:22 AM
I had a little girl who was prescribed a blue inhaler to help with her cough short term...I did a normal medication form, not a long term one as it wasn't to be used all the time.
Just make sure the child's name is on the box ;) I had one family ask me to give the inhaler but it was her brothers! Ummm no!

dawn100
30-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Doctors are very reluctant to diagnose asthma in children so you my dd isn't diagnosed with asthma but is now being treated for asthma (but still it isn't diagnosed) she started off with an inhaler for a cough. How long has mum said the doctor say it might be needed for? I don't know exactly what forms you use but I would probably do a short term form with an end date of when mum is due to return to doctors - I assume they have asked her to return as been given an inhaler, then you can go from there.
As i said I don't know what medical forms you use mine are mm but I've thought of this before after filling out inhaler consent forms for school that mine don't really suit inhalers as they get you to fill out time of last dose, which with a blue inhaler is irrelevant as if a child needs a dose they need one regardless what time they last had one, I don't give the school a time of her last use of her inhaler each day, sorry went off the point there, I've never had a mindee who uses an inhaler but it is something I think I should prepare in case I do, think I will copy the schools consent form.

funemnx
30-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Very helpfull - I will write up a consent form and write up when I've administered it each time and get parents to sign on collection :thumbsup: